PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Jack J5 Sight?

insanelupus
01-22-2012, 04:32 PM
I'm trying to find some information for a family member. He has an 1886 Winchester dated in 1899 and shipped in 1901. The letter from Winchester stated it originally had A Lyman Jack J5 sight. He plans to send the rifle to Turnbull for restoration, but we are trying to cinch down what an original Lyman Jack J5 sight looked like. Anyone have any knowledge or experience in this area? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

barkerwc4362
01-22-2012, 06:15 PM
According to Nick Stroebel's book "Old Gunsights" Lyman made a No. 5 front sight and a No. 20 Jack Front sight. But no Jack J5 front sight. The No. 5 sight is a "Beech" style front sight. The application code for a No. 5 sight to fit a Winchester 1886 would have been an "S". The No. 20 Jack Front sight is a bead style front sight. The application code for a No. 20 Jack Front sight would also have been an "S". I don't know if this helps.

Bill

insanelupus
01-22-2012, 10:02 PM
Bill,

Yup, I found the same in my Stroebel book, as did my cousin. Madis' book notes that Lyman called the Winchester Express sight a "Jack" sight as well. The Lyman Jack J5 notation comes directly from Winchester's note as per Cody, WY, it's just confusing to translate the notes. Thanks for the input, but I don't think we are much closer to the actual sight used, yet.