PDA

View Full Version : getting started

leadchucker62
01-22-2012, 03:48 PM
good day everyone:
since i now have 3 30-30 type guns (savage m340 .30-30,win m94 .30wcf and a rem m14 30rem) i've decided to start casting my own projectiles.
i thought about one of the lee bottom pour pots,lee 2 cav 113-120-150-170 gr rnfp)boolitz, 100 hornady 30cal gaschecks,and a 308 and 309 sizing dies.

i would like to build some low power(plinkers) and some hunting/target rounds.

i do reload jacketed bullets for these 3 rifles and a few others.
should i get a seperate press for the sizing dies ?

any input/advise/ideas on my start up plan is greatly appreciated.

i live in rural ontario canada,so finding a place up here,close to home is not likely to happen,so all components will be ordered off the net,

thanks Z

mooman76
01-22-2012, 04:03 PM
You really need to slug the bores of your guns to determine the best sizer size before you go ordering. If you are getting the Lee sizers you do not need another press but it doesn't hurt to have an extra. As far as lubing goes, you can either use a tumble type lube or pan lube and use the lee sizers or you can get a press that lubes as you size.

StratsMan
01-23-2012, 01:42 AM
Chucker,

You don't say what press you currently have, or how many... I'm with Mooman on slugging your barrel, tho... (just discovered the muzzle on my '03 Springfield is at .3105; no wonder it won't pattern!!) If you have a single stage press, you should be good to go for starters... as your Lead Casting Addiction deepens and you acquire more stuff, you'll likely want more than one press, too... :grin:

popper
01-29-2012, 03:46 PM
I just started also. Lee pot is fine, get a hot plate 1 KW(pre-heat mould), thermometer, SS spoon, sawdust,#2 lead, LLA, JPW, M die (31R, you can turn the inset down to the dia. you need). Fit a sizer to each gun. You can increase the size really easy on the Lee push through, but you can't reduce it.