PDA

View Full Version : Mounting UD on SRH

warf73
01-22-2012, 02:26 PM
What are you all using on your SRH when mounting up a 30mm tube Ultra Match Dot?

I know that loctite will be needed when I mount everything up. Anything else I need or should watch for? This will be used on a 480.

Thank Warf

44man
01-22-2012, 03:44 PM
What are you all using on your SRH when mounting up a 30mm tube Ultra Match Dot?

I know that loctite will be needed when I mount everything up. Anything else I need or should watch for? This will be used on a 480.

Thank Warf
You will need 30mm Ruger rings and I understand they will trade new unused 1" rings for the 30mm.
I am trying to remember dimensions but I think the regular Ultra Dot 30 will fit between the rings. The match Dot will NOT. You need a Weigand base on the gun. It takes Weaver type rings, you can use the rings that come with the scope or Warne rings.
The Weigand fits the ring cuts on the gun, get them tight.
You need NO Loc-Tite and don't put it on ring screws.
Put the front of the Ultra Dot turret against the front ring.
Those rings need tightened on the base first, just enough to center things,then tighten them. Then the tops are tightened once all is straight.
You can use Weaver rings or "Z" rings too.
Different for Ruger rings for anything that will fit between them.
Center the Ruger rings on the barrel cuts and get them tight, then set the scope. Put the ring tops on and tighten evenly just enough so you can turn the scope straight and push it against the turret. Then tighten one screw little at a time, back and forth keeping the gap on each side even. Work back and forth from screw to screw until all are tight.
Just remember, the Match Dot will NOT fit between Ruger rings. The turret is too long.

warf73
01-22-2012, 04:34 PM
The Ultra Dot 30 is a 4 MOA dot, how well does that work for target work at 100 yards and deer size game at 100 yards? That seems like a large dot but I've not used a red dot at that distance before.
That was the reason behind the Match dot to get down to 2 MOA dot for target work at 100 yards and maybe deer.
Or is it unnecessary to go smaller than 4moa for my goals?

wtfooptimax200
01-22-2012, 08:15 PM
Warf,

Based on what I have seen from users on this website, the Ultra Dot is PLENTY accurate. It's so accurate that I've been thinking about getting one for quite some time! I just need to get the cash together.

Branden

Whitworth
01-23-2012, 10:31 AM
The Ultra Dot 30 is a 4 MOA dot, how well does that work for target work at 100 yards and deer size game at 100 yards? That seems like a large dot but I've not used a red dot at that distance before.
That was the reason behind the Match dot to get down to 2 MOA dot for target work at 100 yards and maybe deer.

For me it works well even at those distances.

warf73
01-23-2012, 10:39 AM
I just contacted Ruger I'll be sending in my 1" rings to get exchanged for the 30mm rings. I figure if Whitworth and 44man can hit stuff at 100 yards with Ultra Dot 30 so can I :bigsmyl2:

Thanks guys for steering me in the right direction.

Warf

44man
01-23-2012, 10:50 AM
I am not sure what the Match Dot goes to but the dot still looks the same as the 30 mm. I swear it is 4 MOA.
This is what you can do at 100 with the 30 mm, 5 shots in the top of the can, the rest are rifle shots from a friend. About 3/4" if I remember.

44man
01-23-2012, 10:56 AM
The best way to use the 4 minute dot is to use a three dimensional target like a can, etc. Paper targets are harder. You need a target you can use the dot on or a circle to center in.
Deer are real easy.

subsonic
01-23-2012, 06:55 PM
You won't be sad about an UD30 w/ 4min dot. If shipping wasn't free from Ultradot West, I'd tell you to go ahead and get 2 while you are ordering!

They will spoil you for load workups or hunting.

kweidner
01-23-2012, 07:56 PM
got one on my 629. took it off for new burris. a month later ud was back on. Love it. killed 2 with it this year. 2 with it last year as well.

warf73
01-24-2012, 12:17 PM
Got my rings sent off to Ruger today so if all goes well I'll have the new 30mm rings by next Friday. I'll order the UD 30 this friday from Ultradot West can't beat the free shipping :)

Thanks guys for the great info, you all know if I don't like the Ultra dot your all being blamed for it :kidding:

Whitworth
01-24-2012, 12:24 PM
Got my rings sent off to Ruger today so if all goes well I'll have the new 30mm rings by next Friday. I'll order the UD 30 this friday from Ultradot West can't beat the free shipping :)

Thanks guys for the great info, you all know if I don't like the Ultra dot your all being blamed for it :kidding:

If you don't like it, there's no hope for you! LOL! Just kidding!

44man
01-24-2012, 01:13 PM

I need another, so if you don't like it, send it to me and I will pay shipping. :p

Viper225
01-25-2012, 11:06 AM
You probably want to get the Scope Coat from them while you are at it. UltraDotWest has a Scope Coat with the Ultra Dot logo on it.

I also have a 30mm UltraDot in Black on my 9.5" SRH 480. I also swapped rings with Ruger for 30mm. No Loc Tite either. Just check the screws now and again.
I have Hogue Tamer grips on both of mine. I also put a Fiber Optic front sight on both of them. I am using open sights on my 7.5, and have the FO as back up on my 9.5.

I put an 11 point Buck, and a full size doe in the freezer this last Missouri Deer season with my 480. I was using 355g Laser Cast, and did all my shooting from a double wide ladder stand off a monopod at between 55 and 60 yards.

Note: I normally cast my bullets in a Lee 400g mold. This year I decided to try some Laser Cast for a change. They were very nice bullets.

Bob

warf73
01-26-2012, 06:41 AM
Bob
That UltraDot is going on a 9.5" also and have already added the Tammers (completly different gun with them on) already so the dot was the next step for me.
I've really thought about sending my gun off to Magna Port and have them work over the trigger but that will be later on if it happens at all.

44man
01-26-2012, 09:52 AM
The SRH rarely needs trigger work. A good lube on the sear surfaces really helps.
The trigger spring is a simple thing to change if needed.
Leave the hammer spring alone, it is pretty good.

warf73
02-07-2012, 03:59 PM
I finally got the Ruger rings in today, got everything mounted up like was instructed by 44man.
It looks great on the gun but its 33* with lite snow/rain mix so it will be a couple days before I get to try it out.

Thanks everyone for pointing me in the right direction.

Warf

Whitworth
02-07-2012, 05:25 PM
I finally got the Ruger rings in today, got everything mounted up like was instructed by 44man.
It looks great on the gun but its 33* with lite snow/rain mix so it will be a couple days before I get to try it out.

Thanks everyone for pointing me in the right direction.

Warf

Excellent! Looking forward to the report!

warf73
02-14-2012, 05:40 PM
Everything came in last week so its all mounted up and ready for the range.

subsonic
02-14-2012, 05:40 PM
Nice!

Whitworth
02-14-2012, 05:43 PM
Excellent! Looking forward to the report!

44man
02-15-2012, 10:04 AM
Last week I had the .500 JRH down in my woods. Ultra Dot. I estimated elevation at 200 yards and slammed my steel pig dead center.
I have hit cans at 200 with them. The SRH is accurate at 200 too.
My friend was over with a Weaver scope on his revolver and it drove us nuts. It hit a little left at 50 so I went a click right, 1/4 minute clicks. 1/8" at 50.
That took me way right at 100 and it took 12 clicks to center a steel chicken. I stared at the scope and told him to send it back.
He just ordered an Ultra Dot. :drinks: