PDA

View Full Version : By Demand, Meet the "Rock Riser"

Jim Flinchbaugh
01-22-2012, 02:09 PM
Seems there is some interest in a riser /strong mount for the Rock Chucker press,
so I put my pea brain to work doing something more than holding my hat up.

I had originally built one for myself, similar to Dillon's strong mount, but it has a large foot print on the bench. In conversation with a member here, he thought a mount that would fit on Pat Marlins dock might be a good idea. So, I gave up on my original idea and came up with this. I don not know the plate dimensions on Pats mount. The lower mounting plate on this is 6 inches deep, and 4 inches wide.

Monday, I have to call and get current prices on materials, as I built these three from steel I had on hand.
These babies are SOLID!
My first design:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/James64/rock.jpg

Re-design, with totally new idea
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/James64/P1229559.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/James64/P1229558.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/James64/P1229560.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/James64/P1229563.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/James64/P1229564.jpg

These three, 2 are 6 inches tall, the other is 8-1/2" tall. The 6 inch version if you mount the lower plate even with the front edge of your bench provides plenty of clearance for the linkage. The taller one, can be mounted more rearward n the bench top, and keeps the entire press behind the front edge of the bench when the handle is in its upright position. You must keep it forward enough to get full travel on the handle on the down stroke.

If there is enough interest in these, I will start producing them in numbers.
After I get steel prices, I will see what I can make these for and in the mean time, maybe you folks can give me an idea of you might be willing to pay for something
like this?
So, how bout some feed back folks!
Of course, I can make them whatever height you want, but for simplicity of building them and to keep shipping cost inline, A standard to settle on would be nice. The 6 inch version fits nicely in a medium flat rate box.

EDIT: New info below

OK, it pencils out that I can build these with a 6 inch height, painted with the shown green or hammer tone black /gray
for US $42.00 INCLUDING USPS Priority Flat rate shipping in a medium box
Shipping outside US will cost more of course
See my replay further down the thread for more info

waksupi
01-22-2012, 02:24 PM
Very nice, Jim!

Longwood
01-22-2012, 02:47 PM
[QUOTE=Jim Flinchbaugh; In conversation with a member here, he thought a mount that would fit on Pat Marlins dock might be nice.

I had to read that part twice. (snicker snicker)

Alvarez Kelly
01-22-2012, 05:03 PM
Very nicely made! I especially like your choice of finishes. Do you have a price point in mind?

hiram1
01-22-2012, 06:49 PM
looks real good to me find out how much you need to sell them for let me know.

Jim Flinchbaugh
01-22-2012, 07:18 PM
Another thought has been suggested that maybe a riser / strong mount that is designed to hold one of Pat Marlins docking system could be useful.
One riser /mount, one dock from Pat, and as many of Pats plates as needed to mount your toys.
Of course, that would be with Pats OK on the idea.

Jim

Doc Highwall
01-22-2012, 08:33 PM
Maybe a couple of holes to mount a bullet tray on the left side.

Jim Flinchbaugh
01-22-2012, 09:29 PM
Maybe a couple of holes to mount a bullet tray on the left side.

In the works already :mrgreen:

Bwana
01-22-2012, 09:49 PM
I have the opposite problem. I have to put three throw pillows on my office chair to get high enough to be comfortable. When I'm doing stuff at the desk, priming, sorting, charging, etc., height is not a factor. I don't load or lubrisize standing. I do cast while standing. I'm too cheap to buy a taller chair.

cheese1566
01-22-2012, 09:50 PM
Very, very nice!

Good to see something new and different!

What is your choise of paint in those pics?

Jim Flinchbaugh
01-22-2012, 10:49 PM
Very, very nice!

What is your choise of paint in those pics?

Rustoleum Hammer tone, dark green

cheese1566
01-22-2012, 10:54 PM
Good stuff!
I use it on on all my builds and refurbs!

engineer401
01-23-2012, 01:07 AM
These are beautifully done. I can also see a use for a bullet sizer. My sizer is attached to some 2 X 6 scraps with 8-inch bolts through the table. It is ugly but effective. I can't weld. I can butcher lumber. These are much classier.

nicholst55
01-23-2012, 02:23 AM
I'm interested, but would like to know an estimated price point.

a.squibload
01-23-2012, 02:35 AM
Looks good. Never thought about the height of the press,
now I'm gonna have to check.
Would especially help if someone's using a longer handle.

Jim Flinchbaugh
01-23-2012, 04:25 PM
Okee Dokee

As noted in my first post in this thread,
42$ including USPS f/r priority mail gets it done. (medium box)

Particulars on construction:
Top & bottom plate will be 1/4" steel plate. Bottom 4 mounting holes, for 5/16 (8mm for you metric folks) lag screws or bolts, what ever you decide to use. Top plate will be drilled for 3/8 (14mm) bolts for your Rockchucker.
Center column is 2"x2"x.083" wall square tubing. Joints full welded around the circumference.
Base dimension is 4x6 inches, top plate is 4x5 inches.

The taller one shown above is spoken for, as is one short one, the other short one I might keep,
because I noticed after the fact, that I got the center column a little crooked. The plate is level, but the column isn't "plumb" If you want it as is, that's cool too, wont hurt a thing unless your OCD [smilie=l:

If you break one of these, I'm not letting you play with my anvil! :holysheep

The big question is:
1- is the 6 inch rise suitable for everyone or is something else needed? I can vary the height but would prefer to keep a standard to reduce set up time to cut the steel.
2 Who wants one :mrgreen:
Jim

Jim Flinchbaugh
01-23-2012, 04:30 PM
Still working on the bullet tray Idea.
I have a small 3 inch cast iron fry pan made by Lodge that I mounted on the side of mine,
it works great for rifle boolits, but doesn't hold many pistol boolits.
'course all my pistolas get loaded on the Dillon!

Longwood
01-24-2012, 04:28 PM
Still working on the bullet tray Idea.
I have a small 3 inch cast iron fry pan made by Lodge that I mounted on the side of mine,
it works great for rifle boolits, but doesn't hold many pistol boolits.
'course all my pistolas get loaded on the Dillon!

I try to frequent the local recycle yard. I often find stainless steel pans from the food service people. The big ones cost me $3 and the little ones I get for less.
These pans are super strong, and very well made for heavy use, from thick steel.
The sizes I have and use the most is 6"x!2"x2" and 12"x12"x2"
I probably have a couple of dozen of various sizes so far with all sorts of stuff stored in them such as bullets and brass.
I also use them for my bullet lubing work.
I sometimes find big 12"x24"x6" pans that I use for all sorts of stuff such as ingot and parts storing.
One nice thing about these pans is they seem to be fairly standerdized so if I find one a year after the last one, they will almost always stack together.
Another thing I use a lot of are the big restaurant cooky sheets. Drip pans. On top of my work benches so the round stuff does not fall off. etc. etc.
I found a rack for the cookie sheets and use it for my brass and bullets etc..
A photo is in the My Loading Bench photo's and I will try to go get it next.

LUBEDUDE
01-24-2012, 07:56 PM
Man those are nice!

I just might have to pull my Rockchucker out of the attic and order a set.

Jim Flinchbaugh
01-24-2012, 08:03 PM
I found the small Akro-bins like Dillon sells for way too much.
I can get 2 dozen for about a buck each, just have to make a tab on the mount to hang it on
:)

LUBEDUDE
01-24-2012, 08:06 PM
It just keeps getting better !

Ickisrulz
01-24-2012, 08:43 PM
Okee Dokee

As noted in my first post in this thread,
42$ including USPS f/r priority mail gets it done. (medium box)

Particulars on construction:
Top & bottom plate will be 1/4" steel plate. Bottom 4 mounting holes, for 5/16 (8mm for you metric folks) lag screws or bolts, what ever you decide to use. Top plate will be drilled for 3/8 (14mm) bolts for your Rockchucker.
Center column is 2"x2"x.083" wall square tubing. Joints full welded around the circumference.
Base dimension is 4x6 inches, top plate is 4x5 inches.

The taller one shown above is spoken for, as is one short one, the other short one I might keep,
because I noticed after the fact, that I got the center column a little crooked. The plate is level, but the column isn't "plumb" If you want it as is, that's cool too, wont hurt a thing unless your OCD [smilie=l:

If you break one of these, I'm not letting you play with my anvil! :holysheep

The big question is:
1- is the 6 inch rise suitable for everyone or is something else needed? I can vary the height but would prefer to keep a standard to reduce set up time to cut the steel.
2 Who wants one :mrgreen:
Jim

Something that crossed my mind, are all versions of the RC the same bolt pattern? And yes...I'd like one.

Jim Flinchbaugh
01-24-2012, 09:13 PM
Something that crossed my mind, are all versions of the RC the same bolt pattern? And yes...I'd like one.

I wondered about that too, as well as the other single stage RCBS presses. I only have a about a 1990 vintage press so I don't have an answer for that one.
HOWEVER, I can tell you the holes in this batch are 1-3/4" from the front edge to the center of the bolt hole on these 3.
If someone wants to measure other presses, and post them here, that would be most helpful! ( I'll be taking my measuring stick on the rounds through the gun shops and hock shops from now on :) )
On that same train, if given good dimensions, I can build to suit other brands as well.

Ickisrulz
01-25-2012, 02:07 PM
I wondered about that too, as well as the other single stage RCBS presses. I only have a about a 1990 vintage press so I don't have an answer for that one.
HOWEVER, I can tell you the holes in this batch are 1-3/4" from the front edge to the center of the bolt hole on these 3.
If someone wants to measure other presses, and post them here, that would be most helpful! ( I'll be taking my measuring stick on the rounds through the gun shops and hock shops from now on :) )
On that same train, if given good dimensions, I can build to suit other brands as well.

My RC was made in 1973. The mounting holes are 1 3/4" from the front edge and 3 1/4" apart, center to center where the mounting bolt would be located (or 2 7/8" apart at the inside edges).

The instructions for the RCBS Base Plate-2 lead me to believe all RCs have the same bolt pattern ("D")--unless they left out a particular model without saying so. See what you think:

http://www.rcbs.com/downloads/instructions/AccessoryBasePlateInstructions.pdf

Ickisrulz
01-29-2012, 11:24 PM
Jim,

Any news on the stands?

Longwood
01-29-2012, 11:59 PM
Adding these stands will also lengthen the fulcrum which will cause more force to be transfered to your bench.
Beefing up of the bench top may be a good idea.

Jim Flinchbaugh
01-31-2012, 04:12 AM
Jim,

Any news on the stands?

I got sidetracked for a few days, I'm ready to start making them if there is enough interest.
I think 7 inches would be the best height, mainly because it would allow the press linkage to clear the bench top.
You still wouldn't have enough height to fully stroke the ram unless you kept it near the front of the bench.
I came to this conclusion because the main structure of my bench is 1-1/2 inches from the front edge,
and in order to get the front 2 mounting bolts into the 2x6 I had to clearance the bench top just a little.
No matter if you want to mount it to the very front of you bench.

As Longwood mentioned, it does increase the leverage exerted to the bench top,
so if you have a flimsy bench it might not seem rock solid.

I need to round up some cash to buy materials, and as such, I was hoping
for 5-10 "I want ones" before I spend my limited funds on steel.
I do have one 6 inch one ready to go if someone wants it and enough
material to make 3-4 more like the one I posted.
The ones as pictured above, are 42$ including shipping(Con US),
if a small Akro bin mounted on the side for a bullet tray would add about 5 bucks.

So, I guess post a "I want one", and if we get enough to cover material cost, I'll get humping!

Otherwise, I'd be glad to whittle one out here and there but it likely will cost a few more bucks that way.
Assembly line style will save money, just like the real world :mrgreen:

Ickisrulz
01-31-2012, 12:33 PM
I got sidetracked for a few days, I'm ready to start making them if there is enough interest.
I think 7 inches would be the best height, mainly because it would allow the press linkage to clear the bench top.
You still wouldn't have enough height to fully stroke the ram unless you kept it near the front of the bench.
I came to this conclusion because the main structure of my bench is 1-1/2 inches from the front edge,
and in order to get the front 2 mounting bolts into the 2x6 I had to clearance the bench top just a little.
No matter if you want to mount it to the very front of you bench.

As Longwood mentioned, it does increase the leverage exerted to the bench top,
so if you have a flimsy bench it might not seem rock solid.

The ones as pictured above, are 42$ including shipping(Con US),
if a small Akro bin mounted on the side for a bullet tray would add about 5 bucks.

So, I guess post a "I want one", and if we get enough to cover material cost, I'll get humping!

Otherwise, I'd be glad to whittle one out here and there but it likely will cost a few more bucks that way.
Assembly line style will save money, just like the real world :mrgreen:

I will take one. PM me the particulars.

Jim Flinchbaugh
01-31-2012, 01:28 PM
I will take one. PM me the particulars.

PM Sent!

Longwood
01-31-2012, 01:39 PM

:mrgreen:

Have you bought any steel lately?

YEEGADS!

Was it Nixon that decided we did not need steel production in America because it was sooooo cheap from J A Pan and company?

W.R.Buchanan
01-31-2012, 02:01 PM
Jim: nice job Price is right for the product.

Do you know Walt Kenyon? he is a Transmission Mechanic and has a shop and lives just outside of Kalispell .

Tell him hi from all his old friends in Ventura, if you see him.

Randy

Jim Flinchbaugh
01-31-2012, 05:02 PM
Longwood,
yeah, steel is nuts, which is why I had to price it. The stuff I had on hand has been around for about 10 years. Way out of the loop. The good part is, when steel goes up, so does scrap prices

Randy,
I do not know Walt, which is strange, after being in the auto trades for 20+ years I knew most people, but I have been out of it for 6 years now, I'm sure lots of folks have traded hats in that time period.

Longwood
01-31-2012, 05:13 PM
[QUOTE=Jim Flinchbaugh;1570019]Longwood,
yeah, steel is nuts, which is why I had to price it. The stuff I had on hand has been around for about 10 years. Way out of the loop. The good part is, when steel goes up, so does scrap prices

QUOTE]

If you REALLY want to be blown away, price a pound of Ni rod for cast iron welding.
I am glad scrap lead is still cheap here. I get a lot at the local recycler by trading in my recyclable scrap which most people would send to the land-fill.

Jim Flinchbaugh
01-31-2012, 07:13 PM
If you REALLY want to be blown away, price a pound of Ni rod for cast iron welding.
I am glad scrap lead is still cheap here.

Cant say I ever stick welded cast, I have always spray welded cast iron.
Seems like anything associated with steel is expensive any more,
with the exception of Lee dies and sizer dies :)

Jim Flinchbaugh
02-02-2012, 03:03 PM
Here's the version for a bullet tray

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/James64/P1029598.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/James64/P1029599.jpg

42$ without tray,
47$ with tray
Prices include shipping USPS medium flat rate box
I have one without the tray and one with the tray ready to go (7 inches of rise),
and one 6 inch rise w/o tray

R.Ph. 380
02-05-2012, 02:57 AM
Is that price for the lip the tray sits on not including the tray? I have plenty of the trays but I want one of the risers with a lip in 6 inch. Count me in for a PM. ..............Strange to post my first post on this forum to order sumptin'..................

Bill

Jim Flinchbaugh
02-05-2012, 12:57 PM
yes, most of the expense is making and installing the mount, the bins are around a buck each

Jim Flinchbaugh
02-06-2012, 05:06 PM
Ickisrulz mount shipped this AM
Thanks!

7of7
02-08-2012, 01:02 AM
Very nice work Jim. Makes me wish I needed one. I'll have to go look at my bench some more.. and see if I need one...LOL

Idaho Sharpshooter
02-08-2012, 01:30 AM
ummmmmmmmmmmmm, where is the Dillon Blue version?

I need two for my 550B's.

Rich

Ickisrulz
02-08-2012, 03:18 PM
Ickisrulz mount shipped this AM
Thanks!

I received my "Rock Riser" today. I am very impressed with the workmanship. It is a heavy duty unit and should meet my needs well. I won't be mounting it for quite sometime though. The bench I will be using is in Oklahoma, so for now I'll just be admiring it. Even though I didn't need the riser right away, I wanted to make sure I got one before it was too late. I recognized it as a screaming deal. It's probably worth twice what I paid for it.

Thanks Jim!

Jim Flinchbaugh
02-08-2012, 06:42 PM
Glad you're pleased Adam.

Jim Flinchbaugh
02-09-2012, 06:55 PM
News flash :mrgreen:
Pedestal style mounts for the Lee Classic Turret press and Dillon RL550B in the works.
Got some PMS inquiring, so I'm a thinkin' & figgerin':bigsmyl2:

Jim Flinchbaugh
02-12-2012, 02:42 PM
Dillon RL550 version
way smaller foot print on the bench than Dillons strong mount
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/James64/P1129610.jpg

oldreloader
02-16-2012, 11:36 PM
Mine came today.One for the Rockchucker and one for the Lee Classic Turret. Great job Jim. Well made and nice work..Ya'll better order one!

GT1
02-17-2012, 11:50 PM
Adding these stands will also lengthen the fulcrum which will cause more force to be transfered to your bench.
Beefing up of the bench top may be a good idea.
Yep, I agree, in essence it is a lever. If all one wants is height, it is fine. It isn't stronger, though.

oldreloader
02-18-2012, 12:10 AM
My bench has a 1" plywood top on top of a 2 1/4" pine lumber top. It should be fine. If you had enough clearace you could turn the mount half around and wouldn't it negate the leverage effect? I only load pistol, rifle, and shotgun (no swaging or other extra forceful operations) and don't foresee any ill effects. If I do I'll post the results.

Jim Flinchbaugh
02-18-2012, 03:16 AM
My bench is plain old 3/4" particle board . Its plenty solid.
'I dunno what some of you guys do with your tools, but it sounds like you need a steel welders bench.
Personally, I dont find that much stress involved in reloading:confused:

Swaging? Yes, need a tough one

Longwood
02-18-2012, 11:56 AM
My bench is plain old 3/4" particle board . Its plenty solid.
'I dunno what some of you guys do with your tools, but it sounds like you need a steel welders bench.
Personally, I dont find that much stress involved in reloading:confused:

A friend thought that that nice looking glued together sawdust with a layer of thin white plastic on both sides that the lumber yards sell would be plenty strong for a bench.
The first shell he got stuck in a sizing die changed his mind.
His bench looked like a monster took a big bite out of it.

LUBEDUDE
02-18-2012, 10:07 PM
A friend thought that that nice looking glued together sawdust with a layer of thin white plastic on both sides that the lumber yards sell would be plenty strong for a bench.
The first shell he got stuck in a sizing die changed his mind.
His bench looked like a monster took a big bite out of it. :violin:

I don't think I would even prepare a meal off of a wimply bench/counter such as that.

LUBEDUDE
02-18-2012, 10:09 PM
Dillon RL550 version
way smaller foot print on the bench than Dillons strong mount
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/James64/P1129610.jpg

Looks great Jim!

But you forgot to paint it Blue! :kidding:

oldreloader
02-21-2012, 12:47 AM
Folks I got the risers from Jim. Great work. Here are some pics of the bench after I installed the risers on the Rockchucker and Classic Turret.I may have to order one of the 2" for my Mec 600 Jr.

GT1
02-21-2012, 02:16 AM
Wow, the LCT looks great sitting up like that.

Nice.

threeoheight
04-10-2013, 11:16 AM
Very nice. How can I order one? PM sent.

thehouseproduct
04-10-2013, 12:27 PM
Any chance of a Hornady LNL AP version?

Jim Flinchbaugh
04-12-2013, 11:40 AM
threeoheight,
sent you another PM, I told you a wrong price in the first,

Jim Flinchbaugh
04-12-2013, 11:43 AM
Any chance of a Hornady LNL AP version?
I can likely make you one for the LNL AP, I'd need to find or have dimensions provided as I do not have one.
If you can provide required height, and a top plate size needed to mount the press to, it would not be very difficult.
Especially if you are willing to drill the top holes for mounting the press. Does Hornady have templates on their site?
The Lee ones, they have printable patterns for all their presses on their site.

thehouseproduct
04-12-2013, 01:30 PM
I can likely make you one for the LNL AP, I'd need to find or have dimensions provided as I do not have one.
If you can provide required height, and a top plate size needed to mount the press to, it would not be very difficult.
Especially if you are willing to drill the top holes for mounting the press. Does Hornady have templates on their site?
The Lee ones, they have printable patterns for all their presses on their site.
Ill check tonight. I looked at the clearance I have over my casefeeder and realized I might have to do some moving around.

1616s16
04-12-2013, 07:27 PM
nice intake must be a chevy man

Jim Flinchbaugh
04-12-2013, 07:42 PM
nice intake must be a chevy man

that old thing has been around a loooong time, cut, chopped, welded, slotted, and in general, gangbanged :)

threeoheight
04-17-2013, 12:28 PM
threeoheight,
sent you another PM, I told you a wrong price in the first,
UPS tracking says it will be delivered today. It's like waiting for Santa :)

carbine86
01-25-2017, 12:18 AM
Are you still able to build these?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk