PDA

View Full Version : Lead..alloy?

Ragnarok
01-22-2012, 12:51 PM
I have my friends bring me any lead they don't want..or find..just bring it to me..I'll give you a beer or three or more.:-D

This method of 'mining lead' works well...I got lots of lead...alloy...heavy stuff to work with.

Anyhow..a pal gave me some 'lead' he had laying around. Chopped up commercial ingots I would say..or maybe weights..or at least cast into a commercial mold.

These ingots are cut up into chunks..and do not look home-cast. The pieces have a cast in 'I T M Co' where the letters are vertical one above the other with the 'C' concentric around the smaller 'o'...it's alead alloy of some sort. Seems sort of hard though.

Any ideas who 'I T M Co' might be or what possible alloy?

I googeled and came up with an Iranian tractor factory! Don't think it's those guys.

Thanx...Rag

onesonek
01-22-2012, 01:14 PM
Just a guess on my part from a short search, as nothing found was conclusive. It could stand for Indium Tin Metal Co.
About the only way to know for sure of it's composition, is to have it tested.

Ragnarok
01-22-2012, 02:22 PM
I'm fairly sure it's lead...or lead alloy. This was stuff my buddy cut up to cast fishing weights..also cast some mini stock car weights..probably from the same stuff.

I guess I should cast some into some bullets and see if it's too hard.

Hammerlane
01-22-2012, 04:51 PM
If you have enought to make it worth your while have it tested or move it to the trade pile, That's the pile I have of unknowns that I sell off for fishing weights. which pays for more reloading stuff.

Ragnarok
01-23-2012, 09:58 PM
I asked the lead giving pal what the 'lead' was...window weights from an ancient business building in town was his answer...so if these weights came from the building I suspect they did...this is lead weights from like 1907