PDA

View Full Version : TALO New Vaquero, birds eye grips

pmer
01-22-2012, 12:50 PM
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=270510087

Whew, is anyone else gitty over this one. 45 ACP or 45 LC, 3 3/4'' barrel with a extractor rod too.

I never shot a birds head gripped revovler. Do they handle ok? Maybe its more for carrying than shooting?

I wonder if the rod would push a ACP case clear of the wheel?

Markbo
01-22-2012, 01:10 PM
It's Birds HEAD grips. Birds EYE is a grain of maple.

Dframe
01-22-2012, 01:11 PM
Birdshead grips are comfortable and handle like a dream. I haven't fired this particular model but have shot the earlier incarnation (birdshead old vaquero). The 3 3/4 inch barrel on MY ruger (Montado) works just fine with 45 Colt so I can't imagine there would be problems with a 45 a.c.p.

pmer
01-22-2012, 01:20 PM

Thanks on the birds head and birds eye maple. :?

subsonic
01-22-2012, 01:41 PM
Like all grips, your hand will have to tell you if it's a good fit.

I do not like the birdshead grips. Not enough to hang onto lengthwise for me and I think they feel too fat too. I'm also not a fan of SAs shorter than 4 3/4", but it is your money so get what you like. Put one in your hand before you spend your money. If they sold really well and everybody liked them, they'd be a regularly cataloged item.

EDK
01-23-2012, 12:39 AM
I had a 4 5/8 357 Original Size VAQUERO with a birdshead grip...and sold it. It looked cool, but just didn't work for me. My current ODD BALL is a 3.5 inch barrel 44 MAGNUM Original Size VAQUERO that I got for $375 Out-the-door at me and subsonic's friendly neighborhood gun shop, Mike's Guns in St Charles MO. I did cheat and put a SUPER BLACKHAWK grip frame PLUS a good trigger and hammer in it. (Anybody else remember David Carradine starring as SHANE in the TV show back in the early 60s?) My custom only has about 1/2 to 3/4 inch of ejection, but it is enough to get hold of....a 45 ACP and a hair longer ejector ought to work.

PS My gun shoots EIGHT inches low at 25 yards with 240 grain boolits...I'm using 280 and heavier to get on my paper plate targets. (Paper plates are $4.50 for 300 where I shop...nice cheap targets.)

:redneck::cbpour::2gunsfiring_v1:

Markbo
01-23-2012, 02:07 PM
FWIW I have 2 birds head gripped revolvers. One is an Alan Harton custom stainless single six in .32 H&R:
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o10/Markbo_photos/Handguns/Revolvers/32HR1.jpg
The other is an SAA clone with Thunderer (double action) type grip in .44 special:
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o10/Markbo_photos/Handguns/Revolvers/Thunderer2.jpg

As you can see the grips are definitely different. But these are both smaller sixguns with lighter recoiling loads I love 'em! Too fat is easy to fix... sand 'em down thinner. Great thing about revolver grips... you can take them off easily to tweak them and mount them in seconds without screwing them down to test fit. Easier than working on a rifle stocks.

The overall size would not be my favorite on a larger frame or heavier kicking gun, but for the smaller ones they feel & fit fine AND make for a more compact carry, which is important to me since I carry them hunting and winter clothes make everything harder to get to.

gandydancer
01-23-2012, 02:28 PM
no birds eye is a frozen vegAtable co

Markbo
01-23-2012, 02:43 PM
HO HO HO.. Greeen Giant!
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRzBYYa5_129rDDoQqaUugYUz9vPQtKK DenIq9T77R90TTeYGPtEA

oldgeezershooter
01-23-2012, 09:56 PM
You'se guys is funny!

makicjf
02-01-2012, 10:52 AM
Markbo,
I was admiring your .44 with the thunderer grip and have a question regarding the feel. I am considering buying another blackhawk with a 4 5/8 bbl in 45 colt/45 acp and installing a nco lightning grip( plus a cylinder hone and a sherrifs model blet mountain base pin). I assume that the double action style grip and the ridge at the top of the grip will reduce muzzle flip more than a pinky under hold on a plow handle. I am thinking about fast follow up shots ( would be a ccw type outfit). How well does this grip handle standard .44 special rounds? Does the knob bite the web between your thumb and index finnger. My loads would be a 255 swc/ or 260 rnfp air cooled ww over 6.2 unique in 45 acp, or 240 tc over 6 unique. My standard lugging around 45 colt load is a 255 swc over 10 unique. I also carry ( when I am in town) a 260 speer hollow point over the same charges in 45 acp and 45 colt respectivley. Poweful but not thumping. Do you think that grip would reduce muzzle flip better than a plow handel with a pinky under hold with those charges?
Thanks for your time!
Jason

Markbo
02-01-2012, 01:27 PM
...I assume that the double action style grip and the ridge at the top of the grip will reduce muzzle flip more than a pinky under hold on a plow handle....
I have average sized hands I guess. Definitely not big meathooks. Personally - and this is just my own personal opinion - I don't find the pinky under grip comfortable on SAAs and dont find that it reduces muzzle flip at all. BUT, the Thunderer grip more so than the Ruger Birds head does! I get all 3 fingers in the front and the pinky is holding right at the 'hook'. I'm not sure if the bump at the top helps with muzzle flip (I just haven't paid that much attention to it), but does keep the entire grip from sliding into the palm. I don't shoot magnum type loads in the .44spc. I keep them very pleasant and I have come to really like that grip frame.

...I am thinking about fast follow up shots ( would be a ccw type outfit). How well does this grip handle standard .44 special rounds? Does the knob bite the web between your thumb and index finnger....
It handles them just fine. The knob does not bite like some heavy S&W guns do, but again I don't shoot magnum loads in it. It also keeps my hand in position to recock the trigger without shifting the grip like I have to on SAAs.

...Do you think that grip would reduce muzzle flip better than a plow handel with a pinky under hold with those charges?....
Your loads are about what I shoot. Grips are the most personal thing on a sixgun, even above the trigger. We all know what a good trigger is, but what grip feels good to me - I can't say for you. I am sure that they do reduce muzzle flip for me. I can also tell you that those revolvers are the ones I grab now when I go afield for a carry/back up. If I am handgun hunting I take a great big Ruger in one flavor or another. Hope something in there helped.

makicjf
02-01-2012, 01:50 PM
Thanks! That helps a bunch. I shoot pinky under with the plow handle because if I dont the trigger gaurd bites me. I guess my hands are average size, but after 15 years of full time horseshoeing my fingers and knuckles are a bit "oversized". i thought the pinky under also slowed roll up 'cause I quit getting bit when I started shooting that way. I also cock off hand CAS style, which negates the need for roll up to cock the hammer. I think I'll pull the trigger ;-) on this one.
I have a 7 1/2 standard grip for hunting, plus my current 4 5/8 for daily packing that also has the standard grip. If I don"t like the lightning grip, it should look cool enough, (plus the convertible acp cylinder and the belt mountain sheriffs base pin and cylinder hone) i could sell for whats in it or trade for something of similiar value.
thanks again!
jason

John Boy
02-01-2012, 04:05 PM
Like all grips, your hand will have to tell you if it's a good fit. Tis the answer for any handgun, weight, barrel length and grip style. One should handle the handgun before making a choice.

My hands are not catcher's mitts and the OM RVSSBH revolvers in the limited edition 4 5/8" barrels with checkered gunfighter grips are my Go To revolvers for CAS matches. Also have the Cimarron Thunder and Cattlemen BH, both in 5 1/2" barrels.

They fit my hands, balance well and that is why except for the numerous C&B's, all my revolvers are birds head

rugerdude
02-02-2012, 09:30 AM
I like the birds head grips in general, but only for light to moderate recoiling calibers.

Once you step up to something with some horsepower, those grips get real uncomfortable real fast.

Lloyd Smale
02-02-2012, 10:09 AM
dont care for them way to small to get a cosistant grip on the gun for my hands.

Markbo
02-02-2012, 01:54 PM
I like the birds head grips in general, but only for light to moderate recoiling calibers.

Once you step up to something with some horsepower, those grips get real uncomfortable real fast.

I did not mention that earlier, but worth repeating. Light to moderate loads are great. Get frisky with them and they are not as good as the old fashioned plow handle.

makicjf
02-02-2012, 02:24 PM
Why do you prefer the thunderer or birdshead for CAS shooting? If its more rapid recovery thats what i'm looking for!
Thanks
jason

makicjf
02-03-2012, 10:45 AM
John Boy,
After reading your post content for context ( sometimes i'm a bit slow on the uptake) I read up on the eagle grips gunfighter grips and ordered a set. They appear to be designed to accomplish exactly what I was looking for: i appreciate the input, and markbo's input on the thunderer.
jason

white eagle
02-03-2012, 06:02 PM
I have one coming should have it this weekend
I love the gun
mine is a 45 acp but I do have a spare 45 colt cylinder here

white eagle
02-04-2012, 07:37 PM
just picked mine up
what a blast it will be
the grip is similar to the way your hand fits a Blackhawk grip
one finger under no big deal
nice compact and powerful can't wait to shoot it

white eagle
02-07-2012, 03:59 PM
tell you what
these little buggers are not only
good looking and handy but rather intimidating
mine looks like a hand shotgun
the barrel looks like a bull barrel and with the ejector
rod next to it it looks massive
it hits way left at 150 yds but I think that is due to the
wide open devastator mouth
smashed a saw blade at 100 multiple hits
did I mention this gun is tight ?
I bet the cylinder gap is somewhere sround .002-.003
ant the throats all measure .452
haven't slugged the barrel but after shooting over 150 rounds
there is no visible leading

Markbo
02-07-2012, 04:28 PM
http://forum.m1911.org/images/smilies/worthless.gif

white eagle
02-07-2012, 06:01 PM
see post #1

makicjf
02-08-2012, 10:47 AM
I held a stoeger birdshead model last night and liked the feel. Does the gunfighter birdshead minimize roll up? If I remember your prior post you tuck your pinky . I am really interested in this brevolver as a carry peice

white eagle
02-08-2012, 06:36 PM
as a carry its is stellar
its a pleasure to shoot as well