PDA

View Full Version : Marlin?

wtfooptimax200
01-22-2012, 12:46 PM
I just glanced through the Marlin Damage Control thread....I'll admit, I don't have time to read through every single post right now, but I got the feeling that there are no Remlins being produced at the moment...is this true? I had heard about the pistol caliber rifles, but thought that the rifle calibers were still in production.

6pt-sika
01-22-2012, 12:54 PM
Unless I'm mistaken they've ceased production of ALL centerfore lever actions !

I think they're still producing 22 semi auto's and quite possubly the XL-7 series of bolt actions . But thats about it from what I remmember reading .

runfiverun
01-22-2012, 05:08 PM
i hope they are rethinking what they are gonna make.
caliber choices,and quality should be thier first considerations.
changing to normal groove Bbl's produced in house would be a good idea too.

xrider472
01-22-2012, 05:22 PM
+1
Quality should be first on their list. Especially after the way people seem to feel about the Remlins.

MakeMineA10mm
01-22-2012, 10:22 PM
Yep, total shut-down, at least since July. Wait a few more months and watch the prices, even on used ones...

6pt-sika
01-22-2012, 11:50 PM
Yep, total shut-down, at least since July. Wait a few more months and watch the prices, even on used ones...

No need to wait to see the price jump on nice older used Marlin's it started before they ceased production from what I've watched on GB and AA !

Ed in North Texas
01-23-2012, 09:19 AM
Unless I'm mistaken they've ceased production of ALL centerfore lever actions !

I think they're still producing 22 semi auto's and quite possubly the XL-7 series of bolt actions . But thats about it from what I remmember reading .

Finding information which isn't from 2009 and 2010 isn't easy. Worse yet, most of the "information" on the net is speculation and rumors. I can't say that something published in an article in a print magazine about current production is absolutely accurate, but it is more likely to be accurate than most other sources on the web. Searching for information, I've noted a few usernames seem to pop up on multiple websites with derogatory comments about the change. I've waded through comments that would lead the reader to believe Marlin (prior to the switch) could do no wrong and produced a perfect product 100% of the time, but Remington has absolutely no personnel who know which end of a firearm the boolit goes in, or comes out. OTOH, there are other posts which talk about the problems of later years Marlin production being a known problem.

IIRC, I don't have any Marlins produced after 1990, so I can't say whether Marlin had QC problems before Remington bought them. It seems self evident that, since Marlin hadn't upgraded their plant equipment in CT, they had a problem with production costs due to a labor intensive production line at a time when all the other firearms (and other manufacturing) companies were switching to CNC machining. I was on a S&W Academy LEO class tour of the factory. That was no later than the early 90s (I retired in '97), and S&W was using CNC machines for some production at that time. Marlin did not have CNC machinery at the CT plant.

The most recent post I could find about the issue of production by the "new" Marlin is dated 12/13/2011. The poster reports what he read in Rifle Magazine, which I think is a pretty reliable source. The post is here:

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-630975.html&amp&

Another post, on a different site is dated 8/18/2011. I don't know the website and I can't speculate on the accuracy. Citing what is apparently a dealer/dealer employee reporting information a Rep left might be very accurate, but take it as you think as far as accuracy:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/08/robert-farago/marlin-stops-shipping-lever-rifles/
\
The end result of both these sources is apparently that ALL production has not been stopped. Absent a better source than Rifle Magazine, or a dealer rep's list, I'd have to say that some Marlin Leverguns are being produced.

popper
01-23-2012, 11:04 AM
Was told by gun guy at Academy (Houston) that they wouldn't be getting any Marlins.

6pt-sika
01-23-2012, 11:05 AM
Finding information which isn't from 2009 and 2010 isn't easy. Worse yet, most of the "information" on the net is speculation and rumors. Searching for information, I've noted a few usernames seem to pop up on multiple websites with derogatory comments about the change. I've waded through comments that would lead the reader to believe Marlin (prior to the switch) could do no wrong and produced a perfect product 100% of the time.

IIRC, I don't have any Marlins produced after 1990, so I can't say whether Marlin had QC problems before Remington bought them.

Well if you hadn't already by ALL MEANS add mine to the list !

Of the 90 or so Marlin's I owned over the last 12 years a good number of them were made post 1990 and personally I had little if any trouble with them . Matter of fact I still have one from 2001 . Although the remaining 2 dozen or so are all pre 1976 .

MakeMineA10mm
01-23-2012, 02:37 PM
Finding information which isn't from 2009 and 2010 isn't easy. Worse yet, most of the "information" on the net is speculation and rumors.

The most recent post I could find about the issue of production by the "new" Marlin is dated 12/13/2011. The poster reports what he read in Rifle Magazine, which I think is a pretty reliable source. The post is here:

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-630975.html&amp&

Another post, on a different site is dated 8/18/2011. I don't know the website and I can't speculate on the accuracy. Citing what is apparently a dealer/dealer employee reporting information a Rep left might be very accurate, but take it as you think as far as accuracy:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/08/robert-farago/marlin-stops-shipping-lever-rifles/
\
The end result of both these sources is apparently that ALL production has not been stopped. Absent a better source than Rifle Magazine, or a dealer rep's list, I'd have to say that some Marlin Leverguns are being produced.

Ed,
Go check the current last page of the thread referenced by the OP, and check Randy's (W.R. Buchanan) post about his discussion with a Marlin/Remington rep at SHOT show in the last week.

MakeMineA10mm
01-23-2012, 02:40 PM
Oops! My bad - It's actually on page 6, and the line has been shut down since June, 2011, according to this source... It's post #110 on the damage control thread:
http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showpost.php?p=1555237&postcount=110

runfiverun
01-23-2012, 03:00 PM
i know they stopped making the revolver caliber rifles but i don't know about the rifle calibers.

wtfooptimax200
01-23-2012, 07:40 PM
the line has been shut down since June, 2011

That's exactly what I was afraid of. I was looking to buy a GG or 1895 this fall, but I guess that will be on hold :cry:

Ole
01-23-2012, 08:19 PM
Hopefully, Ruger will step up and fill the void.

6pt-sika
01-23-2012, 08:21 PM
That's exactly what I was afraid of. I was looking to buy a GG or 1895 this fall, but I guess that will be on hold :cry:

Just keep your eyes open for a nice used one :bigsmyl2:

starmac
01-24-2012, 12:00 AM
Wallmart here is still getting guide guns and cowboys in 45/70. I don't know if they had a bunch in a warehouse or what.

Boerrancher
01-24-2012, 11:41 AM
Prices on used Marlins have already started going up. I started a thread about a *** used marlin at a local gun shop for $375 titled, "Am I out of touch or is he out of his tree" here on the lever gun forum, as I am sure most of you have seen. It is not even that old of a gun, it is just beat to hell, and poorly cared for is an understatement. I wouldn't pay that much for a Marlin if it was in good shape unless it was in a rare caliber.

Best wishes,

Joe