PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 358429HP Mis-Aligned

don45
01-22-2012, 11:00 AM
I just tried out this mold which I just bought and find that the halves are misaligned.
I can see that the two blocks are Skewed enough that you can see and feel the misalignment along the top under the sprew plate and also along the sides. The result is that lead runs under the sprew plate leaving a large thin film on the base. You can also see that the bullet halves are shiftd ever so slightly. It also seems that it effects the hollow point pin in that goes in hard and will separate the mold halves unless helt very tightly together. The mold block alignment pins and holes look normal.
Is this a defective production or has it just somehow become misaligned? Any ideas how to fix this? Any experts out there who would do this for me?
My first 357 mold was a 358156HP which I bought in the 60's and someone borrowed and never returned it. I always wanted the 358429HP and thought that I really lucked out but now maybe I know why it was sold.

GP100man
01-22-2012, 12:08 PM
don45

If ya remove the handles & hold the halves together can ya feel any loosenes if ya try to twist em ????

Is there any wear on the alinment pins or mating holes ?? anylead in the alignment holes ??

Inspect closely ,preferably under magnification, it may be as simple as tapping the alinment pins out a bit (go slow & try em often)

Here`s an excellent thread by Ben on "tune-up" of Lyman molds . Enjoy !

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=126129

HeavyMetal
01-22-2012, 12:11 PM
You may also have a Burr along the side of the mold, around a pin hole or your handles maybe bent.

I second removing them from the handles and and strong light with a good magnifiying glass or lupe.

don45
01-22-2012, 12:17 PM
I removed handles as you suggested. They align firmly with no play, just shifted. It looks like the bottom pin is correct with the top pin pushing the halves in skew, twisted,around the bottom pin. I'll check more but there does not seem to be anything in the hole. It also would seem that pushing the pin out further would not help.

HeavyMetal
01-22-2012, 12:21 PM
Remove the top pin and see if the blocks align.

If they do the top pin can be redrilled to a larger size and the mold repaired.

GP100man
01-22-2012, 01:26 PM
The pin is hardened , ya gotta tap it out enuff to reach the untouched portion of the alinment hole .

But if the hole is worn enuff the ultimate fix is as HeavyMetal suggests .

cbrick
01-22-2012, 04:46 PM
Or email Erik @ Hollow Point Mold Service (http://www.hollowpointmold.com/)

Erik is a master with this stuff and very reasonably priced as well. He can fix ya up for far less than a new mold.

Rick

don45
01-22-2012, 05:53 PM
I'm not sure what's going on with this one. I drove the pins out a little, too much actually. The blocks close tightly, too much for use, but surely in for a good alignment. The halves are still skewed just as before. I noticed the top pin has been set in place by a tiny center punch indent close on the edge of the top pin's hole. Not sure by may have been an attempt to fix.
I think it's off to Erik!
Thanks for his lik and all the suggestions.