PDA

View Full Version : OCD brass cleaning

Thompsoncustom
01-21-2012, 01:02 PM
Anyone else have this problem? I am no longer happy with just clean brass I fell that my brass needs to look like it's gold plated. I know it doesn't shoot any better but there just something about it that I really like pride of ownership thing maybe idk. Anyone have any great tips to make the best looking brass? This is where I am now.
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o77/danielthompson8588/Picture2003-1.jpg
Pic was taking on my floor with no flash.

lbaize3
01-21-2012, 01:30 PM
I have started using NU Polish cut with a bit of mineral spirits. You can do a search for it and get the details. It does the best job I have seen and it even makes my sizing chores easier. Try it, you'll like it.

Lizard333
01-21-2012, 01:32 PM
Not bad. My brass is cleaned to like new using SS media, dish soap and citric acid from lemishine. I like having the inside look as nice as the outside. It cleans the primer pockets out really well as well. The brass on top was before and the bottom brass speaks for itself. :)

GRUMPA
01-21-2012, 01:37 PM
Dang it lizard you beat me to it, the stainless media works wonders for cleaning brass and that's all I use.

Thompsoncustom
01-21-2012, 01:42 PM
Nu is one of the things I add in to the corn cob media. Question for those that use the SS media can you guys add any polish? I would think that corn cob media would give the highest shiny as it buffs the scratches out and I won't think SS would but I've never been around it.

scattershot
01-21-2012, 01:46 PM
I used to use a case polishing compound that I got from Dillon, I think. It looked kinda like Brasso, and did a good job. I'm not sure you can improve on those cases, though. Nice job!

Just had to add, that maybe you have progressed beyond OCD to CDO. Basically the same thing, but the letters are in order, like they're supposed to be!

GRUMPA
01-21-2012, 01:59 PM
When you use the stainless media it's a WET tumble cleaning and NOT a polish per-se. No you can't add polish to it but this method only cleans everything. If one would want that mirror finish that would be another process.

Recluse
01-21-2012, 02:42 PM
When you use the stainless media it's a WET tumble cleaning and NOT a polish per-se. No you can't add polish to it but this method only cleans everything. If one would want that mirror finish that would be another process.

This is a good point and one I've been thinking about as I plan on going to SS media this year.

However, I often store brass for extended periods of time and I've found that "untreated" brass will tarnish a lot faster than the brass I've run through the tumbler with some NuFinish added to the media.

My plan is to buy a cheap vibratory tumbler to compliment my Thumler's Tumbler and use the Thumler's for the SS media. Once the brass is clean and dry, then I'll dump it in the vibratory tumbler in a media mix of probably corn cob with some Nu Finish mixed in.

Couple of hours later, out it comes and into the storage containers it goes. I also toss a lot of dessicants in the brass containers to help keep the tarnish effect down. The Nu Finish helps alot, along with the dessicants. I've got brass I tumbled and cleaned four/five years ago that still looks new today.

And yeah, I know it doesn't help me shoot any better, but I enjoy puttering around the shop and doing things like that.

Just wished I enjoyed case PREP as much as I do case cleaning. . .

:coffee:

01-21-2012, 03:17 PM
I clean and polish all brass using a Midway 1292, corn cob and Nu-Finish. However, a couple years ago, I was looking for a time-consuming job and decided to put a super, on-my-gosh shine a several hundred rifle cases. I chucked the Lee case trimmer lock stud and the appropriate shell holder into the drill press, and went to work with Mother's Mag Polish.

Man, what a shine! Even the dull-finished Lake City Match .30-'06 brass looked new. (Dulled by Lake City's primer killing dunking.)

The job turned out to be as time-consuming as I had envisioned, and not one that I'll likely repeat.

Iron Mike Golf
01-21-2012, 03:27 PM
Anyone else have this problem? I am no longer happy with just clean brass I fell that my brass needs to look like it's gold plated. I know it doesn't shoot any better but there just something about it that I really like pride of ownership thing maybe idk. Anyone have any great tips to make the best looking brass? This is where I am now.
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o77/danielthompson8588/Picture2003-1.jpg
Pic was taking on my floor with no flash.

OK, you need to switch to Win primers and then polish those to match. Are your boolits coated? They look kinda dull and...untidy. [smilie=l: Just pullin' yer chain, bud.:smile:

Thompsoncustom
01-21-2012, 03:46 PM
Lol not that it's recommend but the reason they look that way is I tumble these rounds live so the lead got polished to as I wanted these rounds to look as nice as my other brass.

Lizard333
01-21-2012, 04:06 PM
Lol not that it's recommend but the reason they look that way is I tumble these rounds live so the lead got polished to as I wanted these rounds to look as nice as my other brass.

I was wondering as well about the color of your lead. I thought maybe you Moly coated your rounds. :)

geargnasher
01-21-2012, 09:25 PM
That's the way my lead boolits all come out when I tumble the finished ammo. I think it's brass oxides or something in the cob. Even plain cob does it. I think it looks kinda neat, myself, but not something I do often.

Gear

Thompsoncustom
01-21-2012, 10:32 PM
Ya I really like what it does to the bullets they all look like they have been evenly buffed.

whitewolf68
01-21-2012, 10:33 PM
That is some beautiful brass, I am kind of envious now. I suppose I am gonna have to start polishing my brass again. :)

Cherokee
01-21-2012, 11:44 PM
Just keep doing what you are doing, brass looks better than some new.

MikeS
01-22-2012, 12:37 AM
Now I'm curious, was the exposed driving band on those boolits always that rounded off, or is that from the tumbling? While I like my brass to shine as best it can, I also like my boolits to have a nice shiny silver look to them (the same way they came out of the moulds, or better). If the driving bands were always that rounded, then perhaps you should spend more time casting better boolits, and worry less about the cases you're loading them into. Unless of course that mould design is supposed to have such rounded off driving bands.

nanuk
01-22-2012, 04:03 AM
mikeS: Why would a rounded FRONT band make any difference?

fredj338
01-22-2012, 04:12 AM
Now I'm curious, was the exposed driving band on those boolits always that rounded off, or is that from the tumbling? While I like my brass to shine as best it can, I also like my boolits to have a nice shiny silver look to them (the same way they came out of the moulds, or better). If the driving bands were always that rounded, then perhaps you should spend more time casting better boolits, and worry less about the cases you're loading them into. Unless of course that mould design is supposed to have such rounded off driving bands.

The brass looks great, but what about the crimp??? It could be the camera angle but some of those rounds look like the crimp is pretty heavy. How does it shoot?

Sasquatch-1
01-22-2012, 08:11 AM
I noticed that a couple of you are using SS media. Are you using it in Vibe tumblers or the more traditional style? I thought about getting some but when I contacted the company that was selling it the said that it can't be used in the vibes because of weight.

Also I started using Lizard Litter in my vibratory tumbler. The desert mix has some sand mixed in with it. When done with the tumble the cases come out smoth as silk. If you throw a couple tablespoons of brass cleaner in with it it does a fair job.

WILCO
01-22-2012, 08:17 AM
If you throw a couple tablespoons of brass cleaner in with it it does a fair job.

That's a "No-no!" from what I've been told by the "Voodo" magic reloading club at work.
I was so distresed, I switched to Nu-finish.

Thompsoncustom
01-22-2012, 09:38 AM
Ya the front groove gets buffs smooth compared to the bullets that aren't tumbled they have a nice shape edge but will that really effect anything? there tumble lube bullet so there is another groove just a mm away.

About the crimp on some of them I was paying around with crimp before I decided to not use any crimp at all and ya some of them got pretty heavy all seemed to shoot fine tho.

GRUMPA
01-22-2012, 09:43 AM
I noticed that a couple of you are using SS media. Are you using it in Vibe tumblers or the more traditional style? I thought about getting some but when I contacted the company that was selling it the said that it can't be used in the vibes because of weight.

Also I started using Lizard Litter in my vibratory tumbler. The desert mix has some sand mixed in with it. When done with the tumble the cases come out smoth as silk. If you throw a couple tablespoons of brass cleaner in with it it does a fair job.

All the cleaning is done with the rotary tumbler, and you were informed correctly in regards to the vibratory unit. Its just amazing how clean you thought it was when using the vibratory polishing, then to take that same batch and put them in the rotary tumbler with the stainless pins.

The amount of black water that just flows out when you rinse them when done is a real eye opener. They do look like new when done and they have to be dried thuroughly before bagging them up. But over time they tarnish up again.

The main reason for me was not having to buy media, this stuff lasts forever. As remote as I am and there are no stores close by makes this worth it to me.

Sasquatch-1
01-22-2012, 10:14 AM
That's a "No-no!" from what I've been told by the "Voodo" magic reloading club at work.
I was so distresed, I switched to Nu-finish.

I take it the No No is the Brass Polish. I use one that I bought for recharging media and it works just like Brasso when used on a rag. I have been doing it for a while now with no ill effects. What seems to be the problem with using it?

Sasquatch-1
01-22-2012, 10:16 AM
All the cleaning is done with the rotary tumbler, and you were informed correctly in regards to the vibratory unit. Its just amazing how clean you thought it was when using the vibratory polishing, then to take that same batch and put them in the rotary tumbler with the stainless pins.

The amount of black water that just flows out when you rinse them when done is a real eye opener. They do look like new when done and they have to be dried thuroughly before bagging them up. But over time they tarnish up again.

The main reason for me was not having to buy media, this stuff lasts forever. As remote as I am and there are no stores close by makes this worth it to me.

I have noticed that the insides of the cases are still a bit dirty when I am done. Could this be the source of all the dirty water after the SS?

GRUMPA
01-22-2012, 10:21 AM
Yep, it makes the inside look like the outside, and if you pop out the primer you'll never need to clean them either.

Moonman
01-22-2012, 10:33 AM
+1 For STAINLESS STEEL MEDIA ROTARY TUMBLING.

S.S. + water + Dawn Dishing Washing Liquid + Lemi-Shine + Brass =

Hide Your Eyes Bright Brass.:drinks::Fire:

oneokie
01-22-2012, 10:44 AM
I take it the No No is the Brass Polish. I use one that I bought for recharging media and it works just like Brasso when used on a rag. I have been doing it for a while now with no ill effects. What seems to be the problem with using it?

The No-No is brass polish that contains ammonia. Ammonia will make the brass brittle.

ghh3rd
01-22-2012, 10:48 AM
Won't tumbling loaded rounds break the powder down into smaller pieces and change it's burn characteristics?

Lizard333
01-22-2012, 10:49 AM
The reason I went SS was I got tired of replacing the media and I was sick and tired of removing the media from the primer pockets.

I'm not OCD about clean brass but it is amazing how much crud you pour out when your done cleaning the brass.

GRUMPA
01-22-2012, 11:15 AM
Yeah I know these are krappy pictures but my $50 camera wont do close up shots.
http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa341/grumpaboo/Picture0101440x1080.jpg
http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa341/grumpaboo/Picture0072160x1620.jpg

Top ones are 9mm and 40cal brass.
The bottom one is 45acp right and 45lc left.
But you can tell the difference in the shine from before and after.

bbqncigars
01-22-2012, 12:01 PM
Tumbling loaded rounds will NOT degrade your powder. There is a thread on another forum (can't remember which one) that had magnified pictures of powder before and after many hours in a vibratory cleaner, and there was no significant difference. He also said that there was no change in the rounds' performance. IIRC, he vibed the ammo for about a week straight. This was not black powder, btw.

Sasquatch-1
01-22-2012, 12:35 PM
The reason I went SS was I got tired of replacing the media and I was sick and tired of removing the media from the primer pockets.

I'm not OCD about clean brass but it is amazing how much crud you pour out when your done cleaning the brass.

The lizard litter I got at Petsmart is ground small enough that I have only had to clean it out of 2 or 3 cases.

WILCO
01-22-2012, 03:44 PM
Yeah I know these are krappy pictures but my $50 camera wont do close up shots.

See if there is a selector switch for near and far pictures. It will have symbols of a flower and mountain. Flower is the setting you want for close ups. Also, take a look at the camera manual.

GRUMPA
01-22-2012, 03:59 PM
WILCO I did both of what you mentioned, and you can see first hand what happens. And believe me it does have that little picture of a flower on the screen, the other half is always patting herself on the back when she can get things dirt cheap, the part I have a hard time with is getting her to understand you get what you pay for.

WILCO
01-22-2012, 04:28 PM
WILCO I did both of what you mentioned...

Sorry Grumpa, I thought for sure it was that easy to fix.

BulletFactory
01-22-2012, 04:30 PM
I throw about 500 rounds in the washing machine, (yes, Im single), with some laundry soap, salt, vinegar, and a little bit of Dawn, and several small towels, rags and socks. Comes out looking like new. I stopped putting them in the dryer recently, the noise was indescribable. The cases peen the c r a p out of the inside of the dryer too. Took the paint right off a good portion of it, and resurfaced the plastic removable lint trap.

zomby woof
01-22-2012, 06:51 PM
Brass cleaning
I like my brass clean and shiny. Here’s what I do. I have a one hour timer with two vibrating tumblers.

1. Put dirty brass in media separator, spin to remove dirt, grass un-burnt powder etc…
2. Place brass in walnut, polish, fabric sheet and mineral spirits for one hour.
3. Remove from walnut and place in Corn cob, fabric sheet and polish for one hour.

It’s that simple. My brass is clean and shiny.

OK IMHO you should never us Nufinsh on your brass

Every time I get my brass wet I regret it, no SS for me.

XWrench3
01-22-2012, 07:52 PM
if you are unhappy with those, you NEED GLASSES!

Cadillo
01-23-2012, 03:46 AM
For anyone using the SS media, in case you don't yet know, you will get the best results if you mix a little Lemishine in a gallon of water and place the cleaned and rinsed brass into the mixture for the final rinse. Given the hard water where I live, it makes a huge difference in the brightness, and prevents the usual water spotting when dried.

During the hot months I place the wet brass in a mesh bag that I put on top of the outside AC unit, which dries them quickly with no energy expenditure. This time of year I put the Mesh bag on top of a rotary fan in the garage after tilting the fan to face upward. Takes a little time, but works quite well and uses very little power.

I have retired my vibratory cleaners. SS in a rotary is the only way to go once you get past the learning curve. Sort of like my new Star sizer.

Sasquatch-1
01-23-2012, 07:32 AM
I stopped putting them in the dryer recently, the noise was indescribable. The cases peen the c r a p out of the inside of the dryer too. Took the paint right off a good portion of it, and resurfaced the plastic removable lint trap.

Have you tried putting the brass in lingerie bag? If one doesn't try doubling them up. An old pillowcase tied at the end might work also.

Iron Mike Golf
01-23-2012, 01:51 PM
Ya the front groove gets buffs smooth compared to the bullets that aren't tumbled they have a nice shape edge but will that really effect anything? there tumble lube bullet so there is another groove just a mm away.

About the crimp on some of them I was paying around with crimp before I decided to not use any crimp at all and ya some of them got pretty heavy all seemed to shoot fine tho.

Have you pulled a boolit or three and miked the froward driveband to make sure it stayed the same diameter?

Markbo
01-23-2012, 02:39 PM
Just for those that may not know, clean brass shoots better. Shiney brass does not. I again challenge anyone here - or anywhere else - to show documentation that your super shiney brass shoots better than slightly dull (but clean!) brass.

I liken the super shiney brass crowd to those that wash their cars and mow their lawns 2 or 3 times a week. Might make them feel better, but it sure doesn't impress me.

Sasquatch-1
01-23-2012, 04:50 PM
Just for those that may not know, clean brass shoots better. Shiney brass does not. I again challenge anyone here - or anywhere else - to show documentation that your super shiney brass shoots better than slightly dull (but clean!) brass.

This reminds me of something my youngest son said when he was about 14. We were driving down the street and car went by that had racing stripes painted on it. His remark was something like "WOW! Racing stripes! That car must be fast."

Jason30-30
01-23-2012, 05:07 PM
Those boolits look NICE! What mold are you using to produce them? It kind of looks like the 358242. Please correct me if im wrong.

Thompsoncustom
01-23-2012, 06:03 PM
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o77/danielthompson8588/Picture2005-1.jpg

OK, you need to switch to Win primers and then polish those to match. Are your boolits coated? They look kinda dull and...untidy. Just pullin' yer chain, bud.

Here ya go I polished up some old copper jacket bullets I had that where getting really dark and it really brought them back to life and I through in some pure Zinc bullets to tho not a whole lot of difference with them. I like the matching primer idea but I also like to be able to switch to my super light hammer spring in the CZ and still set them off so I'm stuck with federal what I need to do is get some nickle plated cases then they would match :smile: but the next thing i'll probably do is go find some really nasty looking range brass and see if I can bring it back to life.

Cadillo
01-23-2012, 06:55 PM

I liken the super shiney brass crowd to those that wash their cars and mow their lawns 2 or 3 times a week. Might make them feel better, but it sure doesn't impress me.

Some of us are also anal about preferring pretty women. They may not cook or do other important things any better than the homely ones, but they sure make the adventure more pleasurable, and that my friend is DOCUMENTED.

Regarding either brass or women. clean is essential, but pretty is more desirable. Clean, pretty brass; clean, pretty women; clean cars, and freshly mown grass are just signs of good taste and breeding.

So now you know!

odfairfaxsub
01-23-2012, 07:07 PM
those zinc bullets look like heaven

Alan in Vermont
01-23-2012, 07:23 PM
Clean, pretty women that taste good can lead to breeding.

Mooseman
01-23-2012, 07:38 PM
AT least my brass is Low maintenance comparatively speaking and I dont have to worry about Jody sneaking around them... lol

kweidner
01-23-2012, 08:48 PM
alan in vermont.....I almost spewed tea through my nose. Those rounds look nice. Mine are clean but by the time i get through loading them my fingers have already started discoloring them. I guess i just need to shoot em up before anyone sees them....

Markbo
01-24-2012, 03:40 PM
Some of us are also anal about preferring pretty women. They may not cook or do other important things any better than the homely ones, but they sure make the adventure more pleasurable, and that my friend is DOCUMENTED.

Regarding either brass or women. clean is essential, but pretty is more desirable. Clean, pretty brass; clean, pretty women; clean cars, and freshly mown grass are just signs of good taste and breeding.

So now you know!

Cadillo if you think you need to wash your car or cut your grass 3 times a week then more power to you. I have better things to do. And I assure you I can taste and am as inbred as anyone here. Wait... that's not what he meant... [smilie=l:

Cadillo
01-24-2012, 06:03 PM
Cadillo if you think you need to wash your car or cut your grass 3 times a week then more power to you. I have better things to do. And I assure you I can taste and am as inbred as anyone here. Wait... that's not what he meant... [smilie=l:

Whatever you say about your bloodlines is OK here.

Be Well!

Chicken Thief
01-24-2012, 06:56 PM
1) Clean shiny brass/cartridges gives you confidense!!!
You think: Yeah that'll work for shure and shoot good.

A grimy/snotty/cruddy round will make you go: Hmmmm poof or no go?

2) I add some AUTO "Crome Polish" (Abrasive) and some "Wax Polish" (Polish) to my corn cob and once in a while a little "vinyl polish" to prevent static (and it will keep the high luster forever!!!).

I do use SS but i shoot BP so i want that little extra, as i'm a Magpie regarding my brasshttp://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Blandet/Smilere/35-1.gif

GNILOP
06-18-2012, 09:35 AM
JUST TUMBLED SOME 45 ACP BRASS AND DUMPED IN SOME BRASSO CASES CAME OUT SHINNY BUT SOME OF THEM HAD MEDIA "CLUMPED UP INSIDE OF THEM"! HAD TO DIG OUT WITH SCREWDRIVER. ANY SUGGESTIONS? garypoling64@Gmail.com

MPnine
06-18-2012, 10:03 AM
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o77/danielthompson8588/Picture2005-1.jpg

Here ya go I polished up some old copper jacket bullets I had that where getting really dark and it really brought them back to life and I through in some pure Zinc bullets to tho not a whole lot of difference with them. I like the matching primer idea but I also like to be able to switch to my super light hammer spring in the CZ and still set them off so I'm stuck with federal what I need to do is get some nickle plated cases then they would match :smile: but the next thing i'll probably do is go find some really nasty looking range brass and see if I can bring it back to life.

WOW! That is some shiny brass! I'm not sure I would want to shoot brass that shiny... i'd just sit around and marvel at it.

fcvan
06-18-2012, 11:02 AM
I don't have the stainless media yet but it is something I would like to try out for a change. Currently, I deprime, rinse in warm water, let sit in vinegar for about five minutes, rinse and wash with Dawn dish soap, and then strain. I dont rinse the soapy water, I just put the brass in the tumbler and let it run. I had some absolutely black brass come out like new. The polishing media stays clean longer. The moisture seems to make the ground walnut swell up and stay rougher. The moisture evaporates within 30 minutes, and the brass is done in about an hour.

Once or twice, I have put Turtle Zip Wash (for cars) in the media. That seemed to make the brass polish faster and seemed to seal the pores of the brass. Sizing with carbide dies seemed a tad easier and the brass tended not to tarnish after it was loaded. Frank

blackthorn
06-18-2012, 11:17 AM
Qoute: "JUST TUMBLED SOME 45 ACP BRASS AND DUMPED IN SOME BRASSO CASES CAME OUT SHINNY BUT SOME OF THEM HAD MEDIA "CLUMPED UP INSIDE OF THEM"! HAD TO DIG OUT WITH SCREWDRIVER. ANY SUGGESTIONS?"

I suggest you don't use Brasso. It has ammonia in it and ammonia weakens and deteriorates brass! Some folks use it and apparently get away with it, at least for awhile but I would not get anything with ammonia in it anywhere near my brass (especially primers)!

shadowcaster
06-18-2012, 11:50 PM

They are Purdy looking! I was wondering how you got the boolit to look that way.

I've never done it myself, but has anyone experienced and issues/detonation from tumbling live rounds? Also is the protective water resistant coating being removed from the primers by being tumbled? Lastly, how does SS media affect the brass long term? How much brass is being removed with each tumbling?

So far, I'm having excellent luck with the citric acid followed by a corn cob tumbling

Shad