PDA

View Full Version : Cast in #1MK3 SMLE

Boz330
03-09-2007, 11:17 AM
Finally got a good day and out of the shop before dark to go try some loads. I've tried a lot of the suggested loadings that shoot well in the #4s but I sure haven't had a lot of luck with this thing with cast. It shoots J-words very well so I don't think there is a problem with the barrel. 2400 and 4759 showed the most promise last night. Both powders had a really nice group with some flyers spreading the group out some. The groups were 10 shots. The 4759 loading had 6 rounds in about an 1 1/2 inchs and the remaining 4 shots took the group to about 5 inches. I don't know when the flyers occured because I was steppin and fetchin to get setup and didn't have the spotting scope set up. I thought that I would try going both ways on this load (20gr) and see what I can come up with.
Anybody had any experience or similar problem with theirs? I think that the barrels are lighter on the #1s and that might play into it. Oh yeh the boolit is the Lyman 314299. Any help woud be appreciated.

Thanks
Bob

45 2.1
03-09-2007, 11:25 AM
Finally got a good day and out of the shop before dark to go try some loads. I've tried a lot of the suggested loadings that shoot well in the #4s but I sure haven't had a lot of luck with this thing with cast. It shoots J-words very well so I don't think there is a problem with the barrel. 2400 and 4759 showed the most promise last night. As long as the groups are good and are round. Both powders had a really nice group with some flyers spreading the group out some. The groups were 10 shots. The 4759 loading had 6 rounds in about an 1 1/2 inchs and the remaining 4 shots took the group to about 5 inches. I don't know when the flyers occured because I was steppin and fetchin to get setup and didn't have the spotting scope set up. I thought that I would try going both ways on this load (20gr) and see what I can come up with.
Anybody had any experience or similar problem with theirs? I've found that when this happens, the boolit is undersize a little. You need a bigger boolit or a softer one that will slug up! There is a GB going on now for a larger 30 caliber boolit that is a 311407 on steriods and should cast at 0.318" which will fit the larger throats of the British rifles. I think that the barrels are lighter on the #1s and that might play into it. Oh yeh the boolit is the Lyman 314299. Any help woud be appreciated.

Boz330
03-09-2007, 01:52 PM
I'll take a look at that. This mold actually throws a 315 bullet though and I just fill the lube groves.

Bob

45 2.1
03-09-2007, 04:04 PM
If the nose doesn't engrave, it is too small and you will need to get a boolit that will. Perhaps you have the 323470 boolit. Any of the loverin 8mm boolits can be sized in a push thru die to fit most Enfields.