PDA

View Full Version : Wheel weights

TK Grogg
03-09-2007, 10:56 AM
Can someone give me an idea what a five gallon bucket of wheel weights are worth. I know there is alot of time and labor involved in getting them processed into bullets. Not looking to make a fortune, just need an idea of what a fair price would be here in central W V for pick-up only. Thanks

jim4065
03-09-2007, 11:24 AM
Here in Central Arkansas they're usually free for the asking - BEFORE SMELTING. I suppose someone could charge as much as $5.00 and get away with it if the buyer didn't feel comfortable about going around to tire shops and asking for them. It's probably a local thing and I wouldn't be surprised to find a price on them in some areas.

Jim

Steelbanger
03-09-2007, 11:30 AM
The last 5 gal. bucket I got took a 40 mile round trip and cost me $20.00. Free or low cost ww are hard to find in the area of PA where I live. The good old days are gone.

imashooter2
03-09-2007, 11:40 AM
Free WW don't exist in the southern Philly suburbs either. All of the stations around here are on contract with a scrap dealer.

jar-wv
03-09-2007, 01:09 PM
Hey. Good to see another hillbilly here. I'm just up the road from you in the Clarksburg area. So far I've managed to amass about 1 1/2 tons of WW and only had to pay for them at one place where I got 10-5 gallon buckets for $100. I used to travel around a lot for job and stopped at lots of places. Lately my luck has not been so good at getting them for free though. About all you can do is hit all the tire shops and see what kind of deals you can find. Good Luck.

jar

Lloyd Smale
03-09-2007, 01:10 PM
20 dollars a bucket isnt out of line and youd better grab all you can even at that because soon is comming a day when you wont get them at any price.

calaverasslim
03-10-2007, 04:13 PM
Down here in S. TX. they are going about 30-35 cents a pound. 100lbs, 35$++++tax..:(

easy ed
03-10-2007, 05:59 PM
I have been paying $1.00 per gal. Just got 10 gallons (300 pounds) for $10.00.

Easy Ed

wiljen
03-10-2007, 06:01 PM
I'm not too far from ya - I live in Northeast Tennessee and work in SW Virginia. I have one shop that I visit about every other month and trade a couple of cases of soft drinks for a couple of buckets of weights. I shopped quite a bit before finding them though and the going rate other places was $15-20 a bucket. I just hope the drinks for weights thing holds up.

Wiljen

lead_her_fly
03-10-2007, 11:31 PM
I just started casting and had to make the trip to the local tire stores. One company that I deal with has several stores in a 25 mile radius. I called them all! One said he had some I could get and wanted to charge me $.10 a LB. I told him that one of the other stores said it would be $10 a 5 gallon bucket. He said that would be ok but I had to add a dozen donuts too! I robbed my son's lunch snack hiding place and took him a HOHO instead!
I think this is going to be fun though. As a kid growing up in the 'burbs of Detroit and working in a service station we would have thought you nuts if you wanted them!

Shiloh
03-11-2007, 12:13 AM
I'm fortunate to have a reliable supply. Before that supply became available, one had to work a little harder but they could still be had with determined looking.

The previous post about not getting them at any price has me a little concerned though. Whats up with that? Are they going to be regulated out of existance??

Shiloh

Dye
03-11-2007, 01:01 AM
I'm fortunate to have a reliable supply. Before that supply became available, one had to work a little harder but they could still be had with determined looking.

The previous post about not getting them at any price has me a little concerned though. Whats up with that? Are they going to be regulated out of existance??

Shiloh

Shiloh
It looks like about 2 years and lead WW will be phased out. All the manfacture's are tooling for steel and zinc ones.

Be carefull Dye

TAWILDCATT
03-11-2007, 08:57 PM
my club up north cleaned their back stop up hired profes. to do it to lazy for members.got 13 tons of lead.I used to do it and get 3 55gal drums.i don't think they got any thing for it.idiots.and payed to take it out.they have a reloading room with 3 presses and 5 molds.I still belong but its hard for me to get there

Nickle
03-14-2007, 04:06 PM
I pay up to $10 a bucket up my way (VT). I try to get it free, but, sometimes I've just got to pay for it.

Some places get $20 a bucket, but they don't get many takers.