PDA

View Full Version : Lead Shot #6 / #7 Shot Makers ?

DODGEM250
01-21-2012, 12:11 AM
I'm curious to know if anyone here makes their own lead shot. I am trying to find a bag of some weight to reload some shotshells and no one in my area sells it by the bag. I have not heard of anyone making their own, but, I am curious about the process.

Does anyone have plans or gadgets for shot makers ?

elk hunter
01-21-2012, 11:10 AM
I have made lots of #6 and #7 1/2 shot with a "Littleton Shot Maker". If I remember correctly someone on this forum made their own shot maker on the same principle as the Littleton so there should be some pictures or at least some discussion in one of the sub groups here. A search should turn up something. My shot maker is at a friends house and he is gone for the winter so I can't take a picture of it.

Reload3006
01-21-2012, 11:31 AM
there are a couple of people on flea bay that make and sell shot makers. But I find it hard to believe you dont see anyone selling it. Cabellas even sells it. Roto Metals sells it. Lawerance makes and sells it. I dont know if Winchester still does or not.

Baja_Traveler
01-21-2012, 12:04 PM
Check out Rotometals Reclaimed Shot. (http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/lead_shot_reclaim_clean.htm) Good quality stuff and free shipping to boot - and alot easier than the hassle of making your own.
Of course if you want to make your own more power to you - being self sufficient is always a good thing...

heathydee
01-21-2012, 04:09 PM
http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=18389

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=App1keMEMVc&list=UUdza0w1OiFq1ByUehsRXzdA&index=12&feature=plcp

DODGEM250
01-21-2012, 06:07 PM
there are a couple of people on flea bay that make and sell shot makers. But I find it hard to believe you dont see anyone selling it. Cabellas even sells it. Roto Metals sells it. Lawerance makes and sells it. I dont know if Winchester still does or not.

No, I said "in my area".

I know I can order it. but, no on locally sells it where I can drive and buy. Maybe someone here on the CB forum makes their own I can buy from ? That would be nice.

Faret
01-21-2012, 07:41 PM
Where are you from? I roll my own.:)

DODGEM250
01-21-2012, 07:46 PM
Where are you from? I roll my own.:)

I am from a land called Southern Maryland. What's lead shot worth anyway ? Do people sell by the pound ? Bag ? I've seen 7-1/2 shot listed for like $38.00 (shipping not included) on some sites is that a normal average price ? Just seems expensive to me.

Reload3006
01-21-2012, 07:47 PM
48 to 56 a bag in St. Louis.

6pt-sika
01-21-2012, 08:01 PM
I am from a land called Southern Maryland. What's lead shot worth anyway ? Do people sell by the pound ? Bag ? I've seen 7-1/2 shot listed for like $38.00 (shipping not included) on some sites is that a normal average price ? Just seems expensive to me.

If you live in southern Maryland all ya gotta do is get on 301 and head south to Virginia , then once in VA turn onto US 3 to Fredricksburg and get some shot at Gander Mountain .

If you live in say Waldorf or Upper Marlboro area get on 50 East heading towards the bay bridge and stop at Anglers Sport Center right before you get to the bridge . They sell shot .

I have a friend here in Orange that makes his own shot with a Littleton Shot Maker and I have shot some of it . It does very nicely . But to be honest if I were making it for resale you'd be paying me more then what you can get factory shot for !

After watching my friend there's a lot of work and effort involved plus the cost of scrap lead now .

And $38 a 25 pound bag is low at the moment . In VA or MD expect to pay more in the $45 a bag price plus tax of course .

shotman
01-21-2012, 08:41 PM
he aint priced shot. buy them loaded LOT cheaper

DODGEM250
01-21-2012, 09:13 PM
If you live in southern Maryland all ya gotta do is get on 301 and head south to Virginia , then once in VA turn onto US 3 to Fredricksburg and get some shot at Gander Mountain .

If you live in say Waldorf or Upper Marlboro area get on 50 East heading towards the bay bridge and stop at Anglers Sport Center right before you get to the bridge . They sell shot .

I have a friend here in Orange that makes his own shot with a Littleton Shot Maker and I have shot some of it . It does very nicely . But to be honest if I were making it for resale you'd be paying me more then what you can get factory shot for !

After watching my friend there's a lot of work and effort involved plus the cost of scrap lead now .

And $38 a 25 pound bag is low at the moment . In VA or MD expect to pay more in the $45 a bag price plus tax of course .

I hear ya on the shot prices. I was just down at the gun show again a few weeks ago and picked up a few things. Been to GM a few times. I don't reload shotshells on a regular basis, I find that 100 / box for $22.00 to be the way to go.

I just have some 410 shells and few 12 gauge I want to reload with shot "just for the heck of it".

I have no intentions of buying factory loads and going through the trouble of reclaiming the lead from them, that's a complete waste of time in my opinion unless you're going to reload them with slugs and use the shot for something else. I might just order a bag from somewhere and be done I only want 10 pounds or so to play with.

DODGEM250
01-21-2012, 09:16 PM
he aint priced shot. buy them loaded LOT cheaper

This I know. We go through cases of cheap shot from the walmart for clays, but, I'm feeling the need to make a few of my own for the fun of it. I just threw out about 400-500 light game 12 gauge hulls because I tired of looking at them laying around in my shop. This thread does make that issue a bit ironic doesn't it...

6pt-sika
01-21-2012, 10:12 PM
I have no intentions of buying factory loads and going through the trouble of reclaiming the lead from them, that's a complete waste of time in my opinion unless you're going to reload them with slugs and use the shot for something else. I might just order a bag from somewhere and be done I only want 10 pounds or so to play with.

Who said anything about doing that ?

Reclaimed shot is what is technically mined from skeet or trap clubs in their fallout zone .

More then likely the only way you'll get 10 pounds from a retailer is to buy copper plated shot as that comes in 10 pound bags and expect to pay as much for that as you can get a 25 pound of unplated shot for !

DODGEM250
01-21-2012, 10:22 PM
Who said anything about doing that ?

Reclaimed shot is what is technically mined from skeet or trap clubs in their fallout zone .

More then likely the only way you'll get 10 pounds from a retailer is to buy copper plated shot as that comes in 10 pound bags and expect to pay as much for that as you can get a 25 pound of unplated shot for !

I did. Simply stating I have no intention of going through that trouble for some shot.

I also agree with your second comment. This is why i am looking for someone who makes shot or finding a local source for it. $40-$50.00 for a 25 pound bag is enough, BUT, then add the shipping costs for a 25 pound bag... another $15.00 - $20.00 ? Not a chance.

Also, I'm in Indian Head, which is on the West side of Charles County. Technically, right across the river from you.

DODGEM250
01-22-2012, 12:47 PM
Wish I had one of these... Shot Tower Video (http://www.britishpathe.com/video/shot-tower)