PDA

View Full Version : Front sight ramp

Frank46
03-09-2007, 04:07 AM
OK, here goes. I have a nice lyman push on or one that could be described as a barrel band ramp. I removed the set screw under the dovetail and oiled profusely with kroil. I tried to push it forward with a leather hammer and it will not move at all. There is some rust evident around the back section of the barrel. I would like to get this off so I could clean and polish the bbl and not damage the ramp. Any suggestions on how to safely remove the ramp without damaging it?. Thanks, Frank

Phil
03-09-2007, 08:07 AM
Hi Frank,

Are you sure it isn't soldered to the barrel? Most of these were soldered, the screw was just used in setup to make sure the ramp was on straight.

Cheers,

Phil

Frank46
03-10-2007, 05:54 AM
Phil, you could very well be right. When I removed the set screw there was some rust under the screw. Guess I'll have to fire up the propane torch and evenly heat the area up and see what happens. Would like to reuse that ramp for another project. Frank

Phil
03-10-2007, 06:46 AM
Hi Frank,

Oh yeah, a good full band ramp is worth saving. I once built a rifle around a scope mount. Geez! Oh well, it was a Griffin & Howe.

Cheers,

Phil

Frank46
03-31-2007, 01:59 AM
Phil, ain't it funny?, you start out with some really insignificant piece of metal and then end up spending bucks to build a rifle around it. Sorta like buying sizing dies for firearms you don't even own, but someday you just might luck into one and cause you already own the dies you're hooked. Frank

Phil
03-31-2007, 10:22 AM
Er, been there and done that. The scary part is I own several sets of dies for which I own no firearms right now. But, I'm looking! Geez this gets expensive!

Cheers,

Phil