PDA

View Full Version : Lee Hollow Point

BluesBear
03-09-2007, 01:12 AM
Anyone know why Lee doesn't make a six cavity hollow point mould?

With the design they have of the plug hinged woth the blocks it seems to me they could do it with more than one cavity.

454PB
03-09-2007, 01:13 AM
From what I've heard, Lee doesn't make ANY hollow point moulds anymore.

trickyasafox
03-09-2007, 01:53 AM
are HP's harder to cast? or just harder to produce?

Buckshot
03-09-2007, 04:51 AM
.............HP's and HB's have a tendancy to be harder to cast then solids. Most likely the reason Lee doesn't offer HP's in the 6 cavity blocks is simply a matter of a workable foolproof design and it's attendant expense.

..............Buckshot

BluesBear
03-09-2007, 07:14 AM
Well the hinged plug arrangment they have on their hollow base slug mould works very well.

It seems to me that it could be used with something larger than a single cavity.
They might need to devise a way to support the far end of the plug assembly.
But other than that what else would keep them from being physically able to do it?
Imagine opening your blocks and having six neat hollow base/point bullet sitting in a row on the plugs.
You could pluck them off one at a time and gingerly set them aside so as not to damage them. :-?

I also have never been able to figure out why Lyman didn't offer hollow base/point moulds in multiple cavities either.
I understand that the plug they currently use can only work with one hole at a time because of it's design.
But another design seem rather obvious to me.
A long, comb looking assembly with multiple plugs affixed to a single "spine" would work with a four or six cavity mould drilled for it's use.
You'd affix and lock the "comb" to the blocks, pour the bullets, cut the sprues, remove the "comb" and then open the blocks to drop X number of perfect hollow point or hollow base bullets.

:confused: Surely I am not the only person to have ever thought of this?

AnthonyB
03-09-2007, 10:11 AM
Plus, multiple cavity HP moulds are a real PITA to work on, aren't they Buckshot? :)

woodman51jfk
03-09-2007, 10:42 PM
............build the mold.......open a group buy......... & we will come!

Buckshot
03-10-2007, 06:19 AM
Plus, multiple cavity HP moulds are a real PITA to work on, aren't they Buckshot? :)

...............Er, you betchum hero!

http://www.fototime.com/26496D670796088/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/AD6CEF56C8FE717/standard.jpg

This is a self ejector type I did for Urny, a member here more as an experiment then anything. And AnthonyB's input has to do with a Lyman 4 cavity I've had for about 2 years to do a similar mod to. However it had had some previous tender ministrations performed on it. But gosh dang it, I need to get after that thing :-) It's hanging over my head like that Damocles thing (or was he the one always pushing the wheel uphill?).

Basicly the front and rear of the pin carrier plate is attached to the bottom of the blocks via those slotted arms at either end. Opening both blocks leaves the HP pins hanging out there in the breeze. Urny said it was a bit of trouble getting the boolit off the pin and I think it's lack of draft on the pin.

................Buckshot

Ricochet
03-10-2007, 09:10 PM
I like the idea of a multi-cavity HP mould!