PDA

View Full Version : scope ring lapping tool

hiram
01-20-2012, 09:41 PM
I have the opportuity to buy a ring lapping tool. It is in excellent shape. the centers, the lap, directions, and grit for $25 and he'll throw in a new hammer bullet puller.

How useful/important are they? Is it worth buying? I've installed scopes for years without one. What do you gain?

The company begins with a 'W'.

Thanks.

Casting Timmy
01-20-2012, 10:09 PM
I'd buy it and then sell off all the kit except the grit to make money and keep the rest of the stuff. You can grind the rings with a piece of bar stock, you don;t need the kit. Or keep the kit as you got a good price on it, but I always love package deals where I can sell off part of it and keep everything else. The best deals are when you get all your money back and a bunch of free stuff.

In the end though, it's your money and decide what you want to do. It's not a huge amount if you just want to try it out and decide to keep or sell it then.

gandydancer
01-20-2012, 10:28 PM
I never put a scope on any rifle unless I grit lap the rings first the rings are always out of round. use plactic inserts other wise.

Mk42gunner
01-21-2012, 01:37 AM
Hiram,

I mounted a lot of scopes before I got a lapping rod, and was always careful that the rings were straight. I was very suprised on the first set of rings that I lapped at just how far out of alignement they were, and this was a quality set of American made steel rings, not a set of cheap Tasco's either.

For $25.00 you can't really go wrong, just don't lapp the rings too far.

Robert

stubshaft
01-21-2012, 02:13 AM
Hard to go wrong with the price Hiram. Use it and sell it off if you don't like it.

Lloyd Smale
01-21-2012, 07:17 AM
I ended up buying the scope ring reamer that midway sells. Its alot faster then lapping a set of rings and does just as good of a job. I can do a set of rings in about 5 minutes with it.

B R Shooter
01-21-2012, 07:37 AM
And you wonder why most every used scope has ring marks? They weren't lapped. Lapping the rings will tell you things you never knew, just how bad the setup can be, then sometimes things turn out quite well. It's just the right thing to do.

Oh, and NEVER shim scope rings. You change the diameter and the scope barrel will suffer. If things are that bad, bed the scope in the rings using bedding compound just as you would bedding an action.

I hate to say it, but the worst rings I've seen are Rugers.

fishnbob
01-21-2012, 10:23 AM
I've got a set of Weaver Detachable rings laying in a junk box waiting to mount a light or laser to my AR when needed. They would not tighten up enough to keep a scope from moving when the rifle recoiled. They were too small for 30mm and too large for 1" tubes. Not so good customer service sent me elsewhere.

canyon-ghost
01-21-2012, 11:08 AM
As Mk42 said:
I was very suprised on the first set of rings that I lapped at just how far out of alignement they were, and this was a quality set of American made steel rings, not a set of cheap Tasco's either.

That's exactly right, I found out too that ring marks on scopes have a specific cause! It's a great idea to buy a scope lapper!

dragonrider
01-21-2012, 11:18 AM
Lapping scopes rings is a must do IMO. Without it you will not get full surface contact, and if one ring is off in the opposite way of the other you may bend the scope tube.

largom
01-21-2012, 11:28 AM
I like the Burris Signature rings with the self aligning inserts. No lapping required, no ring marks on scope, and you can get inserts that work like a shim. These rings work just like self aligning bearings on a shaft.

Larry

Hardcast416taylor
01-21-2012, 11:57 AM
Just got a new set of Weaver Grand Slam rings last week. The hex headed screws for assembling the 2 sets of the mount wouldn`t go thru the top bridge. The holes were too under size. These are the new made in Wisconson, USA not Mexico rings.Robert

Big Rack
01-21-2012, 05:00 PM
I'd buy it, you would be surprised how for a piece of barstock can be out of round and bent. Besides you can say "What a deal I bought a bullet puller for $25 and the guy through in a scope lapping kit"

Cadillo
01-26-2012, 03:32 AM
I would never mount a scope without lapping the rings unless the rings were made with the soft inserts. My Sako came with that type of rings and the scope went on great. Lacking that type system, the rings have to be lapped or I won't do it. None of my scopes have marks when I pull them from the rings.

Just in case you don't already know, you only lap the lower halves. The top halves are self aligning. Trying to lap the top halves will cause problems that you don't want.

nicholst55
01-26-2012, 07:26 AM
I'd buy it, you would be surprised how for a piece of barstock can be out of round and bent. Besides you can say "What a deal I bought a bullet puller for $25 and the guy through in a scope lapping kit"

+1; bar stock is only somewhere near the nominal diameter to begin with - frequently oversize, and out of round to boot. If you're going to lap scope rings, buy the kit.

nanuk
01-29-2012, 05:18 AM
I hate to say it, but the worst rings I've seen are Rugers.

the SS rings that came with my Ruger 77 in 338WinMag would allow the scope to move 1/4" against the zoom ring in 2 shots. I didn't notice until after a couple shots.

took it back and the "Smith" reset them.... no difference.

I used poly tape and that did the trick....

next time, I'll just buy better rings.