PDA

View Full Version : Resperators

dmize
01-20-2012, 07:08 PM
Can someone tell me if the disposable charcoal bodyshop resperators will work with lead?
Id really like to get my kids smelting and casting with me.

Sonnypie
01-20-2012, 07:18 PM
You need the ones like welders use.
The ones I recall were a brownish color. (3M)
They are for metallic vapors. Fit is also very important. It needs to seal well acrossed the bridge of the nose, and everywhere else.
Read the boxes and follow those recommendations.

Also they do not work well with mustachios or beards. So the kids might need to shave... :-o

Good that you are watching out for them. :D

dmize
01-20-2012, 09:10 PM
Thanks!! I have used these alot at work and while painting on my stuff at home.
It was the different vapors that had me concerned. I mean I can "see" the chemical vapors in paint and paint reducers,not so much in vapors emitted from molten metal.
I will check with a welding buddy of mine on the other masks, The worst I have ever welded was galvanized pipe and Grandpa made really sure that was only done outside with the air moving.
And my kids are 18 and 12.... no facial hairs YET!! =)

KYCaster
01-20-2012, 11:45 PM
Your melt has to get well over 1000 deg. before it releases any significant amount of lead vapors.

I'm more concerned with the paint, plastic, grease, oil, tar and other chemicals in a typical batch of scrounged alloy.

In addition to a good, well fitting respirator you should have safety glasses (minimum) or goggles, a hat, long sleeve shirt, gloves and pants that cover the tops of their shoes. All clothes should be cotton, wool or leather....no synthetics, and should fit well. Loose clothing, especially gloves, can lead to accidents.

Right up there with good safety equipment is good hygiene. Keep your hands off your face....no chin scratching, eye rubbing or nose picking. No food or beverages until they've thoroughly washed their hands and face. Shower immediately after the smelting session. Don't throw the clothes into the hamper, wash them separately from the rest of your laundry. Don't wear the shoes into your living area.

Does that sound like a lot of unnecessary precaution? Maybe so, but if you make the rules, insist that they follow them right from the start and lead by example, they'll quickly become routine.

Good luck.
Jerry

cbrick
01-22-2012, 12:44 PM
Id really like to get my kids smelting and casting with me.

Here's an article on safely handling lead that you should read regarding lead and kids. KYCaster is correct regarding the smelting and safety equipment and lead temps.

Safe Handling Of Lead When Casting And Tumbling Brass (http://www.lasc.us/FryxellSafeHandlingLead.htm)

Rick

btroj
01-22-2012, 07:01 PM
I worry far more aout ingestion of the oxides from poor hygiene. That plus the tiny bits of lead dust that may be kicked up from sweeping p afterwards are more a fear than the "fumes". That and burns.

Casting is something I would show my kid, smelting is not. Too easy to get hurt smelting in compairison to casting. At least that is my experience.

leadman
01-23-2012, 12:07 PM
Respirators and lead test kits are available at Home Depot and Grainger's, along with many other places. The rubber respirators usually fit closer to the face and have better straps. Make sure the filters are for lead.
The lead test kits are the little vials of liquid with the swab on one end. Break the vial and the swab is moistened. Then swab the surfaces in your casting area. If the swabbed section changes color there is lead present.
Testing your casting/smelting area will help you determine if your ventilation is working like you want it to.
When I tested my casting area I also put a piece of aluminum on a cord on my chest area that I swabbed after casting.
My first fan set-up had the air swirling around me and actually causing the fumes to land on my aluminum plate. This was a fan behind me. I made changes and found a fan sucking the air from in front of me worked better.

jcwit
01-24-2012, 01:13 AM
I you're running your melt so hot that you're getting lead fumes, its gonna take forever for the sprue to hardend and the bullet may still liquid when you open the mould

cajun shooter
01-25-2012, 10:00 AM
You can go to any large building supply and purchase a attic Gable Exhaust Fan for in the area of $75. Mount it above your casting bench in the wall(If Possible)with a plastic louver on the outside. I have mine on a thermostat which is included with the fan. If casting in the colder weather there is a manual screw slot that may be used for use of by passing the normal circuit.
If you ever watch firemen fight a fire, they will place large fans at the door ways to pull the smoke out.
If you are not able to use this type of set up then you may place a strong shop fan(NOT HOME BOX TYPE) in a window or exit. Later David

jcwit
01-25-2012, 10:34 AM
Something else to take into consideration regarding so called lead vapors. Lead being a heavy metal the vapors will also be heavy, very doubtful the vapors will be flying hither and yon all over the room. If perchance there even is any they more than likely just making it over the edge of the pot and sliding on down to floor level.

Just something to think about.

mold maker
01-25-2012, 12:11 PM
The danger isn't from vapors. It's from the lead oxides, that we remove during after fluxing. This is in the form of dust that isn't really heavy. When dipping off the dross, there is a certain amount of (un-reclaimed) lead oxide involved. It is in a dry fine powder form that if miss-handled will become airborne. Thats where a respirator helps. Keeping this stuff contained and removed from the air is essential.
A fan behind you, or blowing toward you, spreads the problem all around you. The fan needs to pull the problem away and outdoors.
I've used a simple 2nd hand range exhaust fan over my casting table, for near 30 years. That and common sense cleanliness habits have kept my blood lead levels at or below normal (4) for my whole life.
It isn't rocket science, its common sense. Lead is by nature, dirty to handle. Keep your hands, tools, and clothes away from your face, period. No smoking, eating, drinking, or touching the face, while contaminated.
When your finished, clean the area, laundry your clothes, and bathe.

bmac1949
01-29-2012, 08:48 PM
Very helpful post for a new guy

MtGun44
02-01-2012, 02:22 AM
Lead vapors is a myth at our temperatures. Sweeping up dust? yes. Casting? No.

You want good ventilation for smells and smoke from smelting and from fluxing.

Do not eat, drink or smoke with lead contaminated hands and you will be fine.

Bill