PDA

View Full Version : EBay follies....

madcaster
03-09-2007, 12:16 AM
I was watching a hollow pointing pin for a Lyman Mould on EBay,it ended up selling at $53.00 if I remember correctly.I do not believe the bidder had any sense.:-?

44woody
03-09-2007, 12:34 AM
well there is another member of the I'M A IDIOT CLUB the club membership is growing :castmine: 44Woody

fatnhappy
03-09-2007, 12:59 AM
yup. somebody let me have this for $28 shipped, brand new.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=230098583237&rd=1&rd=1

but the used ones (4 of them, and every one also a single cavity) up for auction at the same time all went for $31.

Go figure.

PAT303
03-09-2007, 01:20 AM
What are they worth new bought from a shop?

madcaster
03-09-2007, 01:30 AM
I called Lyman,just out of curiousity,they charge $35.00 for a replacement pin I was told.

Sundogg1911
03-09-2007, 08:18 AM
If I wanna join that club....How much are the Dues? :-D
Does it come with a newsletter.

Bret4207
03-09-2007, 09:25 AM
Lotta moulds listed lately. The prices are ridiculous!

RugerFan
03-09-2007, 09:49 AM
This is an interesting critter. Too expensive, but interesting. I wonder if Buckshot could do a mod like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=006&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=160089756708&rd=1&rd=1

MT Gianni
03-09-2007, 10:44 AM
In 2002 Lyman charged me $15 to replace a pin and that included their shipping it back to me. 10 day turnaround. Gianni

Bent Ramrod
03-09-2007, 04:37 PM
Perfection moulds are quite uncommon. Last one I saw was going for $150 and that was at the Vallejo gun show and probably 15 years ago. I wouldn't doubt that this model, at least, would be a real collector's item, as opposed to one or another specimen of a standard mould.

Making them the old way would be difficult because one block had a semicircular cutout at the bottom which was matched by a semicircular lug in the bottom of the other block, which held the movable base and adjustment screw. You'd need a business case and a projected market for those special blocks, before you even cut the cavity.

However, those clever folks at Lee, with their moving base plates and other methods of holding and automatically centering base pins and hollow pointers on otherwise standard blocks, would have an automatic head start if they wanted to make this sort of mould.

floodgate
03-09-2007, 09:11 PM
Dave:

"Making them the old way would be difficult because one block had a semicircular cutout at the bottom which was matched by a semicircular lug in the bottom of the other block, which held the movable base and adjustment screw. You'd need a business case and a projected market for those special blocks, before you even cut the cavity."

Actually, these were bored through and cherried from the bottom, and the cutout was semi-cylindrical in each block; the "lug" was actually a cylindrical billet, drilled through and threaded for the adjusting rod that carried the base former; the billet was held by a transverse screw through one of the blocks. They used the same setup for the nose-poured moulds with the shallow base hollows (to encourage "bump-up"); here the billet was the base former, and the retaining screw from the side has some slack, so when the mould was opened, the casting coud be shaken loose. Some of the early Lyman hollow-base moulds were made the same way - for shallow hollow bases at least. I have even seen one older Ideal mould where the base billet was flat-ended, but extended to different lengths either side of the screw, so that by unscrewing and reversing it, two fixed - but different - bullet lengths / weights could be cast in the same mould. This is a simpler solution for hollow base moulds like Minies, and I believe some modern mould makers use this technique. It could easily be done (or added, post-market) to one or more cavities of a multi-cavity mould; much easier than the older Lee design.

I have never been able to afford a "Perfection" of my own; a neighbor has one in .32-40, but paid $175 for it several years back - but he and others have loaned me examples, and provided photos of others, for my Ideal mould writeup for Beagle's "Cast Boolit Book".

Doug

madcaster
03-09-2007, 09:30 PM
I have several Ideal one piece moulds that I have picked up here and there,they are really nice to cast with.

Bent Ramrod
03-09-2007, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the info, Floodgate. I never was able to pick that one up and look at it, and the catalog woodcuts didn't seem to indicate a separate part.

I had a dual cavity hollow base Keith-type .45 mould once that worked on that principle. The hollow base pins were attached to the block with a couple thin rods, so they could move away from the block and release the casting. Gave it to a friend who said he was going to shoot black powder in his .45 Colt; I don't think he's done anything with it yet. Don't remember the brand, SAECO or Cramer most likely.

I tried to make a .45-70 Perfection mould once, with a loose plate with slots on the bottom with screws in the slots so the base can move away. It works with some difficulty, and worse, was kind of undersized, so I've never gotten decent accuracy with it. Needs to be lapped out, maybe.