PDA

View Full Version : Lee drive key slug mold

338RemUltraMag
01-20-2012, 04:12 PM
Is it possible that someone can open up a drive key 12 ga mold to be full bore diameter? I am thinking of a project for a smooth bore and need one of proper size. Is it feasable or too costly?

Thanks for the help!
Josh

zuke
01-20-2012, 06:29 PM
It already is a full bore 12 gauge.
Do you have any measurement's to play with?

338RemUltraMag
01-21-2012, 05:32 AM
Well I want to use it with a roll crimp for my smoothbore I figured it would be more stable if it didnt have a shot wad surrounding it. Is there any way to use a roll with this slug?

stubshaft
01-21-2012, 07:17 AM
Try and contact Buckshot on this site and shoot him a pm. It is NOT full bore if it is designed to be placed in a wad.

338RemUltraMag
01-21-2012, 12:43 PM
I was almost 100 percent sure it wasnt full bore but I had been wrong before, I want to use a bpi "brush wad" and just place the slug on it, possibly paper patched or have grease groves cut in it? Idk about that part yet. I just want it to be able to be shot out of either a slug barrel or smooth bore with decent accuracy. Thanks for the heads up I will drop buckshot a pm!

Also if anyone has tracked this way before feel free to add your comments!

longbow
01-21-2012, 01:47 PM
I just got a Lee Drive Key mould myself but for the opposite reason. So far with the majority of my slug testing, I have found it easier to load and gotten better accuracy using slugs or balls in shotcups.

I have cast slugs with it but not shot any yet.

As for the roll crimp issue, I don't think it is a problem as long as the wad column suits the hull length for the crimp.

If the wad petals extend beyond the body of the slug you should trim them back a bit as Ajay shows here in post #2:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=138815

Nothing wrong with your idea of using the BPI brush wad for full bore slug though. I have seen photos of Buckshot's work on a Lyman Foster slug mould to make it full bore with lube groove for rifled gun so no reason you couldn't have grooves machined in the mould or even the whole body opened up to full bore. Of course weight will increase if you open up the mould so you should take that into account. If the whole body is opened up the weight increase could be significant. Also, it might not be choke friendly if the skirt thickness is opened up to full bore. I am guessing it wouldn't be an issue if cast of soft lead but may be if you use wheelweights. Just something to be aware of if it is going through a choke.

I have paper patched Lyman Foster slugs from as cast 0.705" to bore diameter and it helped accuracy but it is a lot of paper and the Lee would need even more. Also, I got frequent fliers, I think from damage to the paper opening crimps and/or rough hull interior.

A search of this forum will get you lots of info on slug loading in general and Lee Drive Key slug loading as well. You might want to take a look if you haven't already before having the mould altered. Someone may have already done this and posted results.

Longbow

338RemUltraMag
01-21-2012, 02:41 PM
Thank you longbow, I will look in the archives and see what I can dig up, my biggest beef with lee is the do not make a 20 ga slug, I have a ultra slugger that I wanna load for but can not find a good mold... So I am looking in to getting a 12 ga barrel for my 20 ga so no choke restrictions there until then the donor h&r topper 12 with a mod choke will have to do.

bearcove
01-21-2012, 03:16 PM
Tom at Accurate mold will cut a mold to dia you want