PDA

View Full Version : How old...

Wayne Smith
01-20-2012, 11:46 AM
Just out of curiosity how old is an RCBS seat die that the seat stem is held in by a screw into the side of the die rather than a nut on top? I got my 45ACP dies off eBay and this is the seat die in the set.

dk17hmr
01-20-2012, 11:52 AM
I think RCBS stamps the year on their dies. The two numbers not saying caliber are the year.

scrapcan
01-20-2012, 12:10 PM
The old dies are not marked with dates. Check all markings and let us know what the dies have been marked with. Are there periods in markings, i.e. R.C.B.S., or is it RCBS with no periods? How is the caliber stamped and where is it stamped?

Wayne,

Send Pressman a pm or post a picture here. I will let him know about the thread. The ARTCA archive has all sorts of hardware and paper in it. Pressman should have an answer for you.

Pressman
01-20-2012, 03:56 PM
Early 1950's. They would be the the first dies RCBS made. The set screw in the side was also used by Pacific at the time.
The dies should be marked with a code/type I think RCBS customer service can interput it for you. Or a call to Huntingtons ask for Freddy or Buzz.
Ken

scrapcan
01-20-2012, 05:01 PM
Thanks Ken. I remember this being discussed somewhere and I know your name was mentioned.

I have an old set of pacific dies for a weatherby cartridge that are set up this way. Boy I forgot all about them.

Wayne Smith
01-20-2012, 08:29 PM
I did look at the die more closely, I was ***-u-ming it was RCBS cause the rest of the set is. PACIFIC 45ACP and an S and a W are stamped on the top of the die. "Pacific" is in very light and small stamping, the rest is quite bold.

Pressman
01-20-2012, 09:06 PM
OOPS

Ken