PDA

View Full Version : Cold, cold shooting.

44man
01-20-2012, 11:41 AM
A friend got his BFR 45-70 a little while ago and could not find brass so he bought factory cast loads. Good stuff with Starline brass. He could not regulate the open sights so I gave him a higher front sight.
He came and cast a pile of my 378 gr PB and loaded them with my load.
He came out and we got it on at 50 yards, then he was centering water bottles at 100, good with open sights but I had to shade the sun from his front sight. We found the WLP shot as good as the Fed 155. It was COLD out. The only warmth was walking 100 yards!
I got mine with the Ultra Dot adjusted for the same load and had some 1/2" groups but hit right at 100, 2 clicks put me on the bottles.
He wanted to dump the factory loads and we missed the whole target at 50 so we moved to 25. The things were 10" high at 25 but shot some great groups. When he took out the empties over a target on the bench there were piles of unburned powder in each case. Not even discolored.
I seen they had rifle primers and sometimes 3 out of five did not go off the first time, one took 3 hits. Those that did fire had good dents, the failures had a tiny mark. I have no idea the brand. Yet we hit the gong almost every shot at 100 off hand and we had some good groups.
Before he left I went on line to Wolff and he ordered 3, 26# hammer springs.
These things are tack drivers and seem to shoot even rifle stuff beyond what problems we had with them.

white eagle
01-20-2012, 12:46 PM
When I hit the range yesterday it was a lonely 2°
it was ranging between 0-2°all the way there (45 min.)
used cci primers no ftf

44man
01-20-2012, 01:42 PM
When I hit the range yesterday it was a lonely 2°
it was ranging between 0-2°all the way there (45 min.)
used cci primers no ftf
I never have a primer problem from weather. The 45-70 BFR uses a spring for LP primers and they do not change until the .450 Marlin or .500 S&W. I don't know about the 30-30, etc.
I change them anyway, cheap enough. Postage is the hurt.
The 45-70 spring is strong enough for most rifle primers but I don't know what brand was in those loads. Funny some had deep dents and others didn't.

Frank
01-20-2012, 03:04 PM
I use the 28# for the 45-70. Better too much than too little.

44man
01-20-2012, 03:36 PM
I use the 28# for the 45-70. Better too much than too little.
Perfect if you buy rifle loads and they work great with LP primers too. I just stay with 26# for LP. They work fine. I am not going to load LR primers.
Standard springs are about 22 to 23#. The bad thing is they are Ruger springs and cold might affect them and I know they will take a set with use.

1Shirt
01-20-2012, 05:29 PM
Never had a primer problem with cold. Have however had problems recently with cold bbls and Can Red lube until the bbl got warm (about 4-5 shots). Accuracy for the first 4-5 shots was as much as 4-5 moa, shrinking to abouot 2 moa or less at 100 (in a heavy bbl 308), as long as I maintained a sustained rate of fire that allowed the bbl to stay warm (about a round a min or min and a half) between shots. Have been using Varget and H414, and am about to try H-335. 50-50 White lable lube does not seem to require bbl warming above freezing, but have not tried it below the 32 degree mark yes.
1Shirt!:coffeecom