PDA

View Full Version : Is there a LBT home brew?

GRUMPA
01-20-2012, 10:54 AM
Is there anyone out there that has made a clone for this stuff? I've done the normal searches but all the ones I've read aren't dealing with a cloned version but more or less re-directing to use something else entirely. I've used the stuff with remarkable results but would just prefer to roll my own and never have to order.

I've used the LBT Blue and the commercial with happy results.

I like the hard lubes the best, the kind that need a heater to work.

btroj
01-20-2012, 11:09 AM
No idea what is in LBT. I don't really worry about that either as we have so many good, easy to make, alternatives.

I have used Felix lube, MMl, and Recluses 45/45/10 all with good results. I am currently using MMl and it seems to work for all my needs so far.

MGySgt
01-20-2012, 12:23 PM
LARS White Lube - in expensive - can't hardly make my own for what I can buy his for!

GRUMPA
01-20-2012, 12:28 PM
I traded some guy for some white lube (I think that's what it was called) and it is way to soft for me. Heck I even tried Bullshops LOTAK and that was way to soft for me even though it was labeled hard lube.

Both of which stick to your fingers like a booger from hell, but still I want something like the LBT stuff. I've taken things to the extreme with it and boy is that stuff nice.

Hardcast416taylor
01-20-2012, 12:48 PM
I can about guarantee that if you try Lars Carnuba Red lube you will see a stiff lube. The soft red lube you tried of Lars was probably BAC lube that is softer than Carnuba Red. Myself, I melt in an pyrex measuring cup 1 stick of Carnuba Red with 3 sticks of BAC. This gives me a fairly stiff lube, yet don`t really need a heater yet to work it thru the luber.Robert

mdi
01-20-2012, 01:58 PM
Is there anyone out there that has made a clone for this stuff?[/I] I've done the normal searches but all the ones I've read aren't dealing with a cloned version but more or less re-directing to use something else entirely. I've used the stuff with remarkable results but would just prefer to roll my own and never have to order.

I've used the LBT Blue and the commercial with happy results.

I like the hard lubes the best, the kind that need a heater to work.
I'd be interested in an answer too...:confused:

MGySgt
01-20-2012, 03:52 PM
I am no lover of Veral - but you are trying to take business away from him. He is a small business owner and worked over a long period of time to develop his lube and other products.

Why don't you create your own lube? Spend your time, effort and money to create your own that will work as good or better than Veral's.

Now - let the fur fly!

canyon-ghost
01-20-2012, 05:14 PM
Veral's formula is his own, there's no way of telling what's in there. He won't tell you either, prefers to sell it himself.

runfiverun
01-21-2012, 01:08 AM
he makes the soft by adding vaseline to the hard...
that's all i know about it.
making commercial lube harder or softer is pretty easy.

stubshaft
01-21-2012, 01:16 AM
I have known Veral for 28+ years and have spoken to him on many occasions. One thing he would never comment on was how he made his lube and the components. He'd make vague comments like having to stir it until it cooled. But never anything substantial.

I still keep about 10 sticks on hand along with Lotak, BAC and Felix lube. That way I have all of my lube needs covered.

cbrick
01-21-2012, 01:50 AM
Wish I knew what's in Veral's lube if for nothing more than the day when he retires or passes on. It's the lube I compare other lubes to. I keep a minimum of about 10 sticks on hand, should probably up that a bit.

Rick

Frank
01-25-2012, 04:09 PM
cbrick:

Wish I knew what's in Veral's lube if for nothing more than the day when he retires or passes on. It's the lube I compare other lubes to. I keep a minimum of about 10 sticks on hand, should probably up that a bit.

Rick

It was good of you to provide us with so much good information about boolits for posterity purposes. Just think of the generations in the future that you have already helped.

:redneck:

BossHoss
01-25-2012, 06:54 PM
When I bought my Star from a member here, It came with LBT in it. I have not used a better lube since, and am making the rounds thru them all.

If I have to pay LBT for the lube and it is cheaper than the ripoff prices I first paid at Cabelas for my FIRST lube Lyman Orange at 5.99 a tube, I wont mind paying the price.

Lars CR is a great deal at 1.65 a tube, can't be beat, no doubt====if it fits your needs and wants. It does for some of mine, not all of it. It's too soft and tacky for me to handle in bulk boxes.

LBT , blew me away, I only had a half sizer of it, and think it's time to pay the price and buy a box.....a big box.

Lloyd Smale
01-26-2012, 06:25 AM
If you want a lube that looks and has the same consistancy as lbt soft. Make a batch of felix lube or 5050 alox/beeswax and then add about 1/3 the volume of magma blue hard lube. I used that lube for years as i store alot of bullets out in the barn where it gets hot in the summer and felix or nra are a bit soft for long term storage and tend to melt out of the bullets after a while.

cajun shooter
01-26-2012, 09:00 AM
There is no doubt that Veral has a very good lube and I used it all the time when loading that new powder. It never failed me.
I now shoot nothing but 100% BP and use my own lube which took many a bad batch to arrive at. It also involved the purchase of many different products as making a BP lube can be trying.
The lubes by White Label or the making of Speed Green which is very simple should keep you busy for a while.
If shooting smokeless I would settle on one of the White label lubes while developing my own next super lube.
The sticky section has many a good lube or at least bases that give you a starting idea of your own.

Frank
01-27-2012, 12:25 PM
Veral not only has the best lube, but he knows the most about cast bullets. His moulds are also numero uno.

:coffeecom

mdi
01-27-2012, 08:53 PM
I am no lover of Veral - but you are trying to take business away from him. He is a small business owner and worked over a long period of time to develop his lube and other products.

Why don't you create your own lube? Spend your time, effort and money to create your own that will work as good or better than Veral's.

Now - let the fur fly!
If I were to make some LBT lube it would be for my own consumption, not to make a profit from. Just knowing the ingredients will take no business from Mr. Smith, and since I don't buy bullet lube, Mr. Smith won't get any business from me anyway. My question was for persomal knowledge only, not pirating a propriatary recipe for a super secret concoction. From what I've read of Mr. Smith (his books and forum replies), he certainly doesn't need any protection for him or his products from you or me...

GLynn41
02-02-2012, 02:32 PM
we get what we pay for--LBT is worth paying for--as are the White lable lubes--still I like to play and always will-- got some home made purple and blue I am using now-- but still have some Cr from white label--which is not soft nor sticky ==

Lloyd Smale
02-03-2012, 06:41 AM
I dont see why the guys that want to copy it are getting jumped on. Does some jump on you because you grow your own beens in your garden because your taking away business from the local grocery store? Or seeing some part on line for your truck or for reloading and going out in your shop and making one yourself. What about the guys here that sell star sizing dies ect. Arent they taking magmas bussiness away. Only thing ill say is if your actually buying verals lubes your paying way to much. theres other lubes sold by members of this forum that are every bit as good for half the money. As to being the most knowelable cast bullet man on the planet, personaly i think theres a few right on this forum that would give him or anyone else a run for the money. Im not saying veral doesnt know cast bullets but what i will say is he has alot of guys convinced he knows more then he does.

Also if veral didnt charge so much for his lube i doubt people would be trying to copy it. I made my own lube for years. I tested many differnt lubes including lbt and anymore just use white lable lubes. Why because i cant make them any cheaper just buying the ingrediants and that doesnt even include my time making them. Plus they work just as well as anything ive ever tested including my own and verals. Some of you veral worshipers should open your eyes a bit. Hes charging 3 times what lars charges for a lube thats no better. I could see 50 cents a stick more but for 3 times as much his secret ingrediant must be enriched uraium!

BossHoss
02-03-2012, 08:20 AM
LBT lube is great stuff, WL lubes are cheap, because they are cheap to make.

I am NOT satisfied with CR in every respect. It IS a handling mightmare , IMO.

Not what I would lube, box and sell, or give to friends. Way too sticky messy.

Works well, smokes a bit, but gums and gets on everything a lubed boolit touches.

LBT is like no other...that is why YOU are trying to reverse engineer it, right? You desire it's properties....ok, great, good luck.

I mean, there seems to be a desire to have it, but some are griping on the price...

I will be trying a box , I had a 3/4 of stick in my sizer when I bought it, and have not found anything better,yet.

GLynn41
02-03-2012, 03:20 PM
do you mean bac is sticky as CR is a hard lube

rockrat
02-03-2012, 04:10 PM
Last LBT I had ordered, I got 30 sticks. Thats only $2.84 a stick, which is less than twice what CR costs.

Don't get me wrong, I like both of them. Getting ready to order some CR this weekend. Ordered some CR couple of years ago and got in BAC instead, so going to harden it up a bit with some CR, so I don't have to use a heater with my Star. I also use CR in a blend I use nowadays(yeah, I know, gotta experiment, can't leave well enough alone!!:))

I had heard that LBT is Verals version of Apache Blue (loved that stuff), that Veral got it from Paco. Wheather that is the truth, I don't know, but that was a rumor I heard long ago.

MGySgt
02-04-2012, 03:50 PM
I am down to my last stick or 2 of LBT Blue - works great. I did a test a few years ago between LBT Blue and Lyman Super Molly.

In actual shooting (45/70 and 45/90) didn't see any difference. I use Lyman Super Molly - Why?

When I ordered my LBT Blue, I also ordered 2 moulds. My moulds came in and no lube, sent e-mail and Veral said it would get right out. A week later I sent one of the moulds back there was a slight flaw in it - Veral took care of it lickety split. I asked him to include the lube when he sent the mould back - he told me no problem - mould arrived no lube. Sent another e-mail, said sorry lube will go out ASAP. 2 weeks later no lube ANOTHER e-mail another sorry - lube was sent this time.

If I need lube for my rifles (Lyman Super Molly) I can go to 2 or 3 places locally and get lyman Super Molly, or order it from any number of places.

LBT Blue is only sold by Veral.

I have a number of his moulds and I get great service out of the moulds and Veral with a mould problem - he re-built 2 used moulds I bought at a very reasonable price, cleaned them up and sent them back in less than 2 weeks from when I sent them - Great Service.

I am not going to rely on him for my Lube when even he states in his book that Lyman Super Molly is almost as good as his LBT Blue!

That is high prasie from Veral to state another lude is almost as good as his.

These are my experiences and from what I understand NOT his normal customer service.

Would I make his LBT Blue if I could - yes, but it is going to take someone alot of trial and error, time and some money to copy it.

Most on here share our experiences willingly and with out being asked - this is a great place for us to share information.

There are a select few on here that have given their knowledge freely and I appreciate it and have learned a tremendous amount about Cast. When I joined this site in 2005 - I knew I knew a lot about casting - Boy was I wrong!

But like the thread on BullShop sprue plate lube I feel some in this thread are demanding someone else do the home work and then tell them about it.

That just rubs me wrong.

By the way I just put my flak jacket on - I thing I am going to need it!

357maximum
02-04-2012, 04:59 PM
I have played with alot of lube ingredients and I also have a high respect for LBT soft blue and if I was to attempt to somewhat "clone" this lube I would start with:

1. 14 oz of some light colored or White lithium grease or Lubriplate Marine-Lube "A" because I just happen to have alot of it.
2. 2 lbs +or- of beeswax
3. 1 lb of paraffin
4. I would use petroleum jelly/beeswax to adjust the mix to the final consistency if needed.
5. A big chunk of solid dark blue candlemaking dye would also be needed I guess.

This mix is just an edUmaKated guess on my part from my past playings with alot of commercial and homemade lubes/and ingredients. You kinda get a "feel" for good lubes after you do enough playing and spend enough money. :veryconfu There is nothing wrong with trying to copy a commercial lube so that you can make it yourself at home in my book. Trying to steal anothers "stuff" to make a profit should invite the mighty hand of Karma however.

**WARNING** Trying to clone lubes can get might expensive in a hurry**:oops:

runfiverun
02-04-2012, 06:35 PM
you forgot the lanolin.

357maximum
02-04-2012, 10:22 PM
not needed but OK. :bigsmyl2:

runfiverun
02-05-2012, 12:01 AM
:lol:...