PDA

View Full Version : RCBS mold a lemon?

Rotaxxx
01-19-2012, 11:00 PM
I ordered a RCBS .45-265-rn-hb for my webley and I think it may be a dud. The spur plate hole does not line up with the top of the boolit, it's off to the side. Also when the halves are together you can see light between them. Would this mold be ok to use? Or should I send it back?

Ben
01-19-2012, 11:04 PM
Send it back.

beagle
01-19-2012, 11:05 PM
If it's not right, send it back and RCBS will make it right. No sense in messing with something that's not right...especially a HB mould./beagle

stubshaft
01-19-2012, 11:13 PM
Return it.

gandydancer
01-19-2012, 11:23 PM
what do you have on it for handles???? GD

01-20-2012, 12:01 AM
Recently, I sent RCBS a used mould that had a number of issues, expecting them to fix them. Instead, they replaced it.

If it was just a matter of the mould not closing all way, evidenced by the visible gap, I'd just tweak the alignment pins till it closed properly. Regarding the sprue cutter's hole being off-center, a replacement cutter may be all that's required, and you won't have to pay shipping to return the mould -- let RCBS pay to send you another. A phone call will provide the best remedy.

shotman
01-20-2012, 12:21 AM
well I wont mess with RCBS molds now . I sent one back . they returned it and it was same as I sent back. lead would run out the bottom. I reworked it but last RCBS in this place

runfiverun
01-20-2012, 01:44 AM
the last couple of rcbs molds i have recieved have had proud alignment pins, just knock them back in..
look for high spots along the mold edges.

Rotaxxx
01-20-2012, 03:06 AM
Thanks for the replies, I kinda hate sending the mold back I would be waiting for a while to get a new one. I may take a closer look at the alignment pins and see if it's something simple that's wrong with it.

Bret4207
01-20-2012, 07:26 AM
FWIW offset sprue holes are nothing yo be concerned about. I have a couple moulds that I cast with the sprue plate purposely offset at the edge of the cavity. Makes a flatter base on those particular moulds.

cbrick
01-20-2012, 10:23 AM
Pictures would sure help. As good as RCBS molds have been in the past few years I guess nobody walks on water, not even RCBS. It's been my experience with RCBS customer service is that they are exceptional to a fault.

If you can see light between closed blocks there can be no doubt the alignment pins are not set correctly. This is an easy fix that you can and should take care of yourself. Place the block with the pins on something like a piece of 2x4, use a brass punch (only brass) and small hammer to tap (not pound) the pin in very slightly. Place the blocks together and check to see if it's enough. If not repeat, check the fit after each time you try to move the pins. Once it seems the blocks fit place them together and with a block in each hand try to twist them in opposite directions, if you can detect any movement you went too far with the pins, just reverse the pin direction very slightly until the blocks fit together with no movement.

Rick