PDA

View Full Version : lyman 4500

ian45662
01-19-2012, 10:00 PM
The ram on my lyman 4500 doesnt seem to be perfectly in line. How much of an effect will this have on accuracy. I was reading some of the other threads on this subject and I was just wondering

canyon-ghost
01-19-2012, 11:40 PM
If you want it to line up, set it up like a larger punch machine. Set the die in and leave the threaded ring about a quarter turn from tight.
Then, set a bullet in it, and the top punch, line it all up. Tighten the bottom sizer first, then the top punch second.

I've noticed mine acts like that but, you have to adjust the alignment correctly.

canyon-ghost
01-20-2012, 12:25 AM
As far as accuracy goes, it doesn't effect it much. How closely you size within a one/thousandth does, that, and powder charge to one/tenth grain have the greatest effect on accuracy.

Your load development will determine accuracy to a greater degree.

ian45662
01-20-2012, 08:09 AM
OK thanks I will try that next time

C.F.Plinker
01-20-2012, 11:17 AM
I don't use the set screw for the top punch. I put a little dab of lube on the top of the punch part (not the top of the rod that goes into the ram). I leave it loose in the hole of the ram and when I size the first boolit it self aligns and the dab of lube keeps it in place. If you put the lube on the top of the rod it may not bottom out inside the ram, therefore it won't stick in place.