in Sweden. [smilie=s:

Tom-ADC
01-19-2012, 09:34 PM
Your right, Some of us worked below decks.:drinks:

Sam :D

Snipe:not listening:

Guesser
01-19-2012, 09:40 PM
So far below that the underside of the lower level deck plates was presumed to be the overhead. After engine room, U.S.S. Walke DD-723. Did I just hear a barking bilge rat?

Ajax
01-20-2012, 07:36 AM
I was a Dexk Ape for 2 years then A Boatswain's Mate for 2 year. At that point in my career i regained my common sense and got a rate with a Selective Re-enlistment Bonus. Was a Aviation Electronics Technician for the next 13.5 years. Would'nt have changed it for the world.

Andy

x101airborne
01-20-2012, 08:01 AM
I was a Dexk Ape for 2 years then A Boatswain's Mate for 2 year. At that point in my career i regained my common sense and got a rate with a Selective Re-enlistment Bonus. Was a Aviation Electronics Technician for the next 13.5 years. Would'nt have changed it for the world.

Andy

Not to hijack the thread, but I was always curious..... What is a Boatswain? On the tube it sounds like they are saying Bowsen, or something like that.

Reload3006
01-20-2012, 10:53 AM
Bowsen is how its pronounced. I was a snipe. (MR) Or for those not in the US navy one of the engineering rates.
Boatswain mates were responsible for the outside maintenance of the ships. Civilian related trades would be Painter, Rigger, Cargo handler, Longshoreman etc. they moored the ship, painted and cared for the exterior of the ship, Line handlers, and all the loading and off loading of cargo.

Guesser
01-20-2012, 11:09 AM
AJAX (moderator) did you pick your user name from your first sea duty station, U.S.S. Ajax AR-6? Home ported in Sasebo Japan for more than 30 years. Ahhh yes, great home port!!!!!!!

Bret4207
01-20-2012, 11:38 AM
Just last week, this drill team won ALL HONORS IN A WORLD WIDE COMPITITION held
in Sweden. [smilie=s:

Got a link? I can't find anything on that.

Moondawg
01-20-2012, 11:40 AM
I am retired Army, so I don't have a dog in this race; however, I do work with a lot of retired and ex-Navy types. It is my understanding from these fine gentlemen, that deck apes, are the backbone of the Navy, strong back that is, but a weak mind, and not to be trusted to do anything very complicated or techinical. The men that really make the Navy function and allow it mobility are the blackgang, and related skilled sailors. They also have strong backs, and strong minds. They are quick of intellect and handy with their hands. They are the reason the Navy doesn't still travel about in sailing ships.

Reload3006
01-20-2012, 11:52 AM
trust me there are people in every rate of the Navy that aren't the brightest lights in the house. but the common Deck Ape is the young kid just in the navy in the seaman class that are used to do all the not fun jobs. But that is true of all the Non Rated E3 and below people. But its not fair to classify a whole class in the navy as Dim witted with strong backs. Is a Crane operator Dim witted? A gunners mate is a seaman class was he dim witted? or Torpedoman? There are even NUKE rates in the Seaman class. Electronics tech Seaman class.

Tom-ADC
01-20-2012, 12:35 PM
AJAX (moderator) did you pick your user name from your first sea duty station, U.S.S. Ajax AR-6? Home ported in Sasebo Japan for more than 30 years. Ahhh yes, great home port!!!!!!!

Wasn't she referred to as Building 6? We were at NAS Atsugi for 3 years 69-71 lived in Yokohama a couple of those years, life was good with yen at 360 to the dollar.

Reload3006
01-20-2012, 12:42 PM
the Ajax was in San Diego when I was in in the late 70z She was moored on the opposite Pier that my ship the Dixie ad-14 was on.

waksupi
01-20-2012, 12:47 PM
I suspect it is because his name is Andy Jackson!

Carolina Cast Bullets
01-20-2012, 01:23 PM
Gentlemen,
Allow me to attempt to clarify.

The terms Deck Ape, Anchor Clanker, Swab Jockey, Snipe, Airdale, Flyboy, Grunt, Ground Pounder, Jar Head, Leatherneck, Cannon Cocker, Skivvy Waver, Brass Pounder, Sparks, Sea Going Bellhop, and many more I either havent heard or simply missed are all names that we, as Veterans, call ourselves amongst ourselves. It is my feeling that we realize that these names may sound derogatory to many but we use them with the utmost respect for each other.

For my money, once you sign your name, raise your right hand and put on that uniform, whatever color/style it is, you are #1 with me.

Andy, OBIII and all other Veterans, and I know I've missed many, I use those terms not as an insult but with a deep admiration and respect for you and what you did and are most likely, willing to do again. I know I would "pack up my kit bag and smile" if the call came in.

Jerry
US Navy Veteran

Muddy Creek Sam
01-20-2012, 01:26 PM
Jerry,

I was a Ping Jockey on the USS Semmes, DDG 18 Home Ported at Charleston and later sold to the Greek Navy.

Sam :D

quilbilly
01-20-2012, 02:03 PM
I agree that Sasebo was a great place for Homeport. USS White Plains (AFS-4) 72-75

Guesser
01-20-2012, 02:48 PM
quilbilly: You relieved us when we moved back to the states in Sept of 70. I was MM1 on Niagara Falls AFS-3, I tried to cross deck to you but my command disapproved the swap.
Actually the Ajax was commonly referred to, by sailortown denizens, as "Ichi Bon Benjo Maru" when I was in Sasebo.

casterofboolits
01-20-2012, 02:59 PM
quilbilly: You relieved us when we moved back to the states in Sept of 70. I was MM1 on Niagara Falls AFS-3, I tried to cross deck to you but my command disapproved the swap.
Actually the Ajax was commonly referred to, by sailortown denizens, as "Ichi Bon Benjo Maru" when I was in Sasebo.

Number One Toilet Ship!:drinks:

lbaize3
01-20-2012, 03:33 PM
I was a radioman 2nd class (E-5) and received my A school radio training at Bainbridge, Maryland in 1964-65. During that time I was selected, along with many of my other classmates to march in President Johnson's inaugral prade. Later I served aboard the USS O'Bannon (at the time the most unmodernized destroyer in the US Navy. It was an old Fletcher Class destroyer with the single distinction of sinking a Japanese sub with Idaho baked potatoes. (I'll tell that story another time....)

From the O'Bannon I went to Vietnam to serve on Swift Boats (no Kerry jokes, please) 1967 to 1968. I finished up my tour on the USS Oriskany (now sunk off the Florida coast). Good memories, good friends and a great experience. Even without the sadness of losing friends in Vietnam I cherish the time the US Navy allowed me to be a member.

Guesser
01-20-2012, 03:42 PM
Hai!!!!!!!!!

9.3X62AL
01-20-2012, 03:43 PM
Gentlemen,
Allow me to attempt to clarify.

The terms Deck Ape, Anchor Clanker, Swab Jockey, Snipe, Airdale, Flyboy, Grunt, Ground Pounder, Jar Head, Leatherneck, Cannon Cocker, Skivvy Waver, Brass Pounder, Sparks, Sea Going Bellhop, and many more I either havent heard or simply missed are all names that we, as Veterans, call ourselves amongst ourselves. It is my feeling that we realize that these names may sound derogatory to many but we use them with the utmost respect for each other.

For my money, once you sign your name, raise your right hand and put on that uniform, whatever color/style it is, you are #1 with me.

Andy, OBIII and all other Veterans, and I know I've missed many, I use those terms not as an insult but with a deep admiration and respect for you and what you did and are most likely, willing to do again. I know I would "pack up my kit bag and smile" if the call came in.

Jerry
US Navy Veteran

I'm not a veteran, but you can rest assured that I 1) DO NOT use these terms to describe veterans and in-service folks, and 2) I respect and admire all pf our veterans and servicemen and -women. GREATLY.

OBIII
01-20-2012, 05:12 PM
Jerry,
I agree with your posts 110%. Those of us who have had the privilege of serving our Country hold all US Military Servicemen and Veterans in the highest esteem. While we use quaint nicknames for each other, we all know it's all in fun.

Semper Fi!

fishhawk
01-20-2012, 05:17 PM
And any one of the service branch members would stand back to back with any of the others in a fight to this day no mater how much we pick on each other. steve k. Army

Reload3006
01-20-2012, 05:20 PM
Yup kinda like brothers pounding the heck out of each other. If an outsider steps in hes going to have to whip both of em.

Tom-ADC
01-20-2012, 05:25 PM
lbaize3, lost our next door neighbor in 66 I think in the fire they had, but I have landed and taken off from her many many times, we were the most popular plane to come aboard, the C2 COD or mail plane, when we flew the C1's smaller we'd say a VIP a day keeps the mail away.

Black Powder Bill
01-21-2012, 01:44 AM
Wasn't she referred to as Building 6? We were at NAS Atsugi for 3 years 69-71 lived in Yokohama a couple of those years, life was good with yen at 360 to the dollar.

LOL had a jap in an Isuzu truck run over me out in town one night. I was with HC3 in 1977 The pig, White Plains then for the IO cruise on the Midway.

shdwlkr
01-21-2012, 10:53 AM
Well I fit the ground pounder term
Combat Engineer Instructor
Yes we did make things go bang and sometimes even moved a bailey bridge

lbaize3
01-21-2012, 01:22 PM
Tom-ADC,

I was on the Oriskany while it was in dry dock at Hunter's Point, San Francisco. Lots of folks aboard talked about the fire and the loss of friends... I doubt anyone that went through that will ever forget. I did not stay aboard all that much. When they figured out that I was just marking time until the end of my tour, they sent me to Armed Forces Police at Treasure Island. I spent more time at that temporary duty and patrolling San Francisco than I did aboard the Oriskany. I am sorry about the loss of your neighbor. They were good men, one and all...

Leonard