PDA

View Full Version : Problems with your concealed carry gun?

firefly1957
01-19-2012, 07:16 PM
I have several pistols that I carry I am going to start with two problems I have had with my Sig P-245. Now I use this pistol often for pest control and it a bit much for that but what better practice can you get in target accusation and reliability testing.

Problem "A" failure to fire : cause the design of this pistol leaves the hammer off the firing pin a fraction of an inch this area had enough lint to slow the hammer before the firing pin was stuck only a small dent in primer . cycling the action the second round did hit pesky red squirrel. Cure: daily check and clean that area.

Problem "B" the magazine for this pistol has two locking notches the first one will not feed ammo to the barrel. Cure I am now aware of the problem and double insure that magazine is fully inserted. This turns the gun into a single shot not something I want to depend on I always cycle a round from the magazine but then put in a full magazine and now double check for proper insertion.

You can also tell your other problems like a pesky holster that stays with your gun when you draw or other problems whether mechanical or your technique .

runfiverun
01-20-2012, 01:05 AM
problem C: anything you rely on to fire when absolutely needed will have problem a or b.
there is nothing worse than a club in a gun fight, unless you want to use every bit of adrenaline you are gonna get for the next 10 years,and lose all your dexterity and the feeling in your knees and fingers, plus the worst sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach you have ever had, trying to clear the thing.
having had this happen once,and having seen it happen a couple of more times.
there is absolutely no way..... i would carry it.
i would fix it or replace it. period..

shotman
01-20-2012, 01:12 AM
S&W Model 60 works everytime. Never carry an auto to do a needed job done right

Love Life
01-20-2012, 10:42 AM
I avoided those problems by buying a glock. :bigsmyl2:

Of course my Charter Arms snubnose always works as well.

captaint
01-20-2012, 12:07 PM
Even though I have been licensed for 30 years, it's a rare day that I carry. I really think if I was to carry on a regular basis I would have to carry a revolver. I mean, this is one of those times when I want to avoid any issues.
If I convince my wife to get her license, she will certainly carry a revolver. And I shoot autos most of the time and love them. enjoy Mike

76 WARLOCK
01-20-2012, 12:43 PM
Carry a 1911 cocked and locked never had a FTF in 50 years.

bob208
01-20-2012, 06:57 PM
i carry an old finish worn highpower. it gos bang every time. as long as it has a shell in the chamber. same for the 1911 i carry some times.

Catshooter
01-20-2012, 07:16 PM
I think a .45 makes a great pest control firearm. Just look at my user name . . . :)

Odd that the mag has two notches. Do all of yours have them? Can you tell why they went to the trouble & expense of cutting two?

Cat

firefly1957
01-21-2012, 07:53 AM
Catshooter I have hit one cat with the 45 it does keep them from eating rabbits and partridge in the yard.

Yes all my P-245 mags have 2 notches they are Sig mags for this pistol.

I started this thread to see if anyone else has had trouble with their carry guns you may notice both problems are really my fault not the pistols A) lint build up & B) improper magazine seating. I can not fault the gun except I would prefer the hammer down on the firing pin instead of raised slightly but that is my opinion only. When I carry 1911 I carry it hammer down yes I do have to cock it but can easily with either hand and for ME it is same speed as Sig's double action first shot.

Catshooter
01-21-2012, 07:24 PM
I have found that .45 caliber 200 grain (or better!) boolit through a cat's head does tend to discourage further activities on the part of the cat. :)

I blow my carry weapons out with compressed air about once a week. It do build up, don't it.

Cat

sabrecross03
01-21-2012, 08:31 PM
I carry a M&P mid-size 45 ACP. I shoot it often and it is very reliable. I did have several issues with my magazine springs but S&W sent me replacement springs. I use it for IDPA about 4-5 times a month as well as for my daily carry piece. I clean it every time I use it . Probably put 2500 rounds though it and I would stake my life on it.

beagle
01-21-2012, 10:09 PM
I too rely on a FN High Power. This is one of the fairly newer "auto cockers" and I carry it with one in the chute and 14 in a modified M9 Beretta mag. The hammer is down. Flip the slide latch and it cocks and is ready to fire. Hasn't failed me in three years of carry and some of that's been in the hay field where it hangs in a holster on the gas cap and is exposed to the dust in haying.

If your carry gun isn't reliable, get a revolver./beagle

GREENCOUNTYPETE
01-22-2012, 01:08 PM
Catshooter I have hit one cat with the 45 it does keep them from eating rabbits and partridge in the yard.

Yes all my P-245 mags have 2 notches they are Sig mags for this pistol.

I started this thread to see if anyone else has had trouble with their carry guns you may notice both problems are really my fault not the pistols A) lint build up & B) improper magazine seating. I can not fault the gun except I would prefer the hammer down on the firing pin instead of raised slightly but that is my opinion only. When I carry 1911 I carry it hammer down yes I do have to cock it but can easily with either hand and for ME it is same speed as Sig's double action first shot.

I am no 1911 expert but what your saying is that you carry your 1911 in condition 2 this is considered to be a not safe condition of carry

i knew i had read hammer down was not good on a live round , so i went out and looked for it again

http://www.sightm1911.com/Care/1911_conditions.htm

i know the idea of a hammer full of energy with a safety catch to hold it is an unsettling idea for some , but that was the way it was designed to work. and all of it's safeties were designed for hammer back operation.

this is kind of like tapping the brakes on new cars when on ice , they are designed to work better when you just apply the brakes allowing you to steer with the ani lock systems and you are actually disabling the anti lock by tapping the brakes
condition 2 disables all the safeties , by trying to be safer , and actually can cause more issues with drop fire

lbaize3
01-22-2012, 03:26 PM
If it absolutely positively must fire when you pull the trigger, get a Glock. I don't like them and don't carry one. But the wife has one in her car with 15 rounds of 357 Sig ammo. I feel confident that it will not fail when she needs it.

Me? I love the 1911 in 45 acp. No matter where I am you know there is one close...

Catshooter
01-22-2012, 05:36 PM
Pete,

His Sig P-245 isn't a 1911. You're right, you're not a 1911 expert! :)

Glocks are very reliable, but they aren't the only reliable semi's out there. My Smith Shorty 45 will feed an empty case from the mag, every time, This is actually quite common amoungst the 3rd generation Smiths.

Cat

Alvarez Kelly
01-22-2012, 05:51 PM
Pete,

His Sig P-245 isn't a 1911. You're right, you're not a 1911 expert! :)

Glocks are very reliable, but they aren't the only reliable semi's out there. My Smith Shorty 45 will feed an empty case from the mag, every time, This is actually quite common amoungst the 3rd generation Smiths.

Cat

Firefly1957's reference WAS about carrying a 1911.

FISH4BUGS
01-22-2012, 06:02 PM
All these things make the case for a revolver. Carried one for close to 40 years now. never had one problem. never fired one in self-defense and only had to draw it once ready to use. Stopped that attempted robbery on the spot.
Why do pistols when you can do a revolver?
...and by the way, a 3" 640 IN 357 or a 3" square butt 36 38 is the best carry gun in the world....BUT OPINIONS ARE LIKE BELLY BUTTONS....EVERYONE'S GOT ONE!

GREENCOUNTYPETE
01-23-2012, 09:38 AM
When I carry 1911 I carry it hammer down yes I do have to cock it but can easily with either hand and for ME it is same speed as Sig's double action first shot.

he did say when he carried a 1911 as another carry gun

and yes your very right i am not a 1911 expert never claimed to be

firefly1957
01-23-2012, 07:50 PM
GREENCOUNTYPETE Yes I carry more than one pistol you miss one item in you assumption on the 1911 it has a firing pin shorter than the travel area. This is called a inertia firing pin and it will not go off with the hammer down on it. (Well there has been some tests that drop the gun on the muzzle from a height and set off a primer sending bullet fragments bouncing from the hard floor)

<===== The last thing a attacker may ever see!

Yes I also carry revolvers when I desire during hunting season it may just be a S&W mod. 29 with 8 3/8" barrel tucked in a shoulder holster were it is safe and warm! I do think a hard cast 261 gr. bullet at 1450 f/s is a bit much for most self defense but I can recover quickley for the second shot.

Catshooter
01-23-2012, 10:12 PM
Sure enough he did! Man. I looked and looked for it too. *sigh* I was trying to make a joke and I should know better, in writting it's harder than I (always) think.

Sorry.

Cat

GREENCOUNTYPETE
01-23-2012, 10:33 PM
i am not trying to pick a fight or tell you what to do , i was just quoting references that say condition 2 is not considered good , it does seem that the reason is because of the number of accidental discharges when lowering the hammer so it may not be good for the inexperience to do or something i would want to do seconds after i had to draw for SD but your obviously very experience with it and comfortable with it.

firefly1957
01-24-2012, 08:01 PM
GREENCOUNTYPETE friendly discussions are all I have here I was not considering dropping the hammer as you mentioned. I have had the 1911 since 1978 I do not know how many times I have lowered that hammer and only once slipped but there was no discharge as it was 2/3rds of the way down. I was not sure you were aware of the inertia firing pin on the 1911 it is a great safety feature. It drives my kid crazy when I lower the hammer on either of my Sigs with my thumb it is habit. My older Sig P-220 (Browning BDA) I do not carry it is a good gun I just use it for home defense.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
01-24-2012, 11:43 PM
yeah the only thing i lower a hammer on is a revolver , mainly single action revolver , that old 22 of mine has to have the hammer half way back to load it , and that is done on an empty chamber most of the time , it looks like it holds 6 but it only holds 5 if it's not pointing down the range.

my primary carry gun is a partial reset hammer fired DAO with firing pin block , and spring loaded firing pin not sure if it is true inertia type , it also has a manual thumb safety , the other is a striker fired partial reset with firing pin block

i have a non carry gun with a true inertia type firing pin

TNFrank
01-27-2012, 12:51 PM
S&W Model 60 works everytime. Never carry an auto to do a needed job done right

Ditto, I just picked up a S&W 642 for my EDC/CCW and I'm lovin' it. Light, small, don't have to chase down my brass, rated for +P so it has plenty of power for my needs. The only draw back is that it's only 5 shots but I can live with that.

WilNsc
01-27-2012, 01:40 PM
I wouldn't feel comfortable carrying a gun that had issues. I carry a 'mil-spec' 1911 that's extremely reliable.

As mentioned I would replace or fix it if you intend to keep carrying it. Jams at the range are one thing, when your using it for self defense it can get you killed.

shooting on a shoestring
01-28-2012, 03:35 PM
Well the OP asked if "we" had any problems with "our" carry guns. Mostly got replies having problems with "his" carry gun. That's funny.

I did have a problem several years ago with my early Mod 60. i went out of time far enough in DA as to be unshootable (actually had one FTF because the hammer missed the primer). In SA is shot as fine as ever. It got resolved by 1. started carrying a SP101 in .357 and 2. the Mod 60 went back to S&W where they set the barrel back, recut the forcing cone, installed a new hand and shipped it back to me for less than $100. Made me happy.

The Mod 60 often rides around the house with me in the evenings simply dropped in the pocket of my khaki shorts. It sometimes goes as my carry gun when small is called for.

Mostly I carry the SP101 sans holster at 1 o'clock or a Sercurity Six in a shoulder holster.

My biggest problem is getting enough range time with them.

contender1
01-28-2012, 11:42 PM
While I think it's easy to avoid having problems with a CCW firearm by using a revolver, many folks prefer a semi. Still the KISS method rules. Get a DA revolver. If my mom had had a revolver instead of a semi when she was pepper sprayed and attacked the punk would have died instead of beating her up as she couldn't get the gun into battery.
She retired the semi & went to a DA revolver after that.

Now, I'm a newbie at posts around here, but I lurked off & on for years. But, I'm quite well known on another respected forum.
I do take offense at the folks who shoot cats wantonly, as a couple of folks have implied. Pests, varmits, & wild animals that are causing problems can be controlled. But a person't pet is NOT a pest or varmit. Ferals can be an issue, and I do understand the need for controls.
I for the life of me can not understand the hate some people have for cats, yet profess to love other animals etc. My BIL is just such a person. He proclaims a hate for cats, a love for dogs, and tries to be viewed as a Christian. Yet, he denies that God created cats.
It has been proven that some of the sickest perverts & murderers we have ever had were abusers of pets. People who abuse pets can also be abusive to people.
I am not accusing ANYONE here of such things, I'm just confused as to the thinking of people who hate cats just because they are cats.
That's hating a whole species, not just a breed.
In many species, there are different breeds. No single breed is good OR bad. Not all pit bulls are bad, nor are all poodles good.
Pets, both cats & dogs will give back love & affection 10 times over if given the same.
I just wish someone could explain with a VALID logical reason to hate a whole species.
And before anybody starts preaching about songbirds, or small game or such where cats hurt the population, I have heard that before. Heck it used to be published in many older sporting magazines. I'm not saying that feral cats do not eat songbirds, or quail, or bunnies, but they also eat mice, rats, moles etc. They do have to eat to survive. I can guarantee that cats do no more damage to these populations than any other predator.
And all too often PEOPLE refuse to neuter or spay their pets, yet they cause unwanted animals that are often abandoned.
Oh, and to back up my thoughts, a few things to consider.
My son is a LEO Animal Control officer with a county dept. He see's a LOT more problem dog calls vs problem cat calls. Dogs have hurt & even killed humans, especially kids. No cats have that distinction.
Next, I'm a state certified Animal Damage Control agent, and I own a nuisance wildlife control business.
I deal with problem animals daily.
SO, would a cat hater please explain your reasons?
Politely?

Charley
01-29-2012, 03:02 PM
If there is an issue with a carry gun it ISN'T my carry gun any longer, until the piece is repaired/tweeked, and demonstrates its reliablity again. Vast majority of the time I carry a Para P12 or a Colt Mustang Pocketlite. Both function 100%.

Contender, I can't answer why some folks don't like cats, but can shed some light on why they often don't like cat OWNERS. A cat that is kept indoors is not an issue, except for the owner. A person who feeds outdoor feral cats, or lets their cat roam at will because they are a "cat lover" is causing all sorts of problems for their neighbors. The free roaming cats often spread parasites, such as fleas and ticks, dig up planting beds for plants to defecate, kill songbirds that people attract to their yards with feeders, and generaly are a huge nusiance. (ever try to sleep at night with a female cat in heat screeching for a couple of hours?) Add to the fact that in most cities, failure to control an animal is against the law (although most municipalities enforce that reg for dogs, and not cats), people lose their patience, and tend to shoot, shovel, and shutup.

I'm an entomologist with a good sized pest managment company, and we do a fairly large amount of animal work. Don't deal with domestic animals because of legal implications. I doubt you do, either.

I don't have a cat, but if I did, it would be kept indoors, and not be a bloody nusiance to my neighbors. I would owe that to my neighbors, AND the cat. The issue isn't the cat, it is the irresponsible owner!

firefly1957
01-29-2012, 07:25 PM
shooting on a shoestring Thank you I have resolved "my training problem" and was wondering what others have encountered.

contender1 that is what is referred to a thread hijack feel free to start that tread down in politics and religion or maybe better yet humor and off topic some people will laugh at you for your uneducated assumptions. I am not putting you down but I have not seen a single person here talk/brag about killing the neighbors pet , however they stop being pets when they become a nuisance animal and the best thing to do is talk to the owner. Then it often escalates from there often because law enforcement does not follow the laws regarding nuisance animals because it is someones pet. That owner is responsible for all damage done by their "pet" and also legally responsible for the animals death or injury when it trespasses were it is not wanted . Feral cats do not have a place in nature whether they eat mice or not!!! well not unless you consider varmint practice with the 6mm. (OOPS I DID NOT UPSET YOU DID I) Cat owners are often totally inconsiderate of their neighbors and can not be educated that their fluffy is a problem. I have witness cats kill partridge,Rabbits, song birds 'etc, and recently was quite confused by deer tracks in the snow were a bucking deer was hitting my garden fence? until a set of cat tracks appeared they seemed to small for bobcat tracks and the cat apparently rode the deer 60 yds??? ( I back tracked to figure out what I was looking at)

contender1
01-29-2012, 11:27 PM
Ok, I apologize for the appearance of hijacking a thread. However, it was in the earlier posts about the use of a carry gun to kill cats. I was just expounding upon that.
If I'm out of line then would a moderator please PM me to let me know?
For the record, I keep my cats indoors 24/7.
Now to answer a few comments. YES, irresponsibe pet owners who allow their pets to roam are a problem. In fact, just today, I pulled a few SD cards from a few of my game cameras on my property. One of my cameras recorded a pack of 4, yes, thats FOUR dogs on my property, tresspassing, and harrasing the deer & other animals here. Guess what, I'll be nuisance trapping them as well.
ALL animals, dogs, cats, raccoons, skunks, deer, etc can carry & spread parasites, fleas, ticks, (Lyme disease anyone?) So, to blame just one species is wrong. I keep our cats indoors, yet I get fleas from some of the wildlife I handle sometimes.
Digging earth is natural for a cat to use the bathroom. However, a dog will just squat, go, and let people step in it, bugs & such land on it, and then land on people. (Flies.) Raccoons carry diseases sometimes in their waste that can cause serious health issues for people, and they use the same spots over & over again, causing a buildup of waste. Coons, skunks, moles, voles will do more damage to a flower bed than any cat.
Bird feeders are messy, and attract all kinds of wildlife besides birds. Squirrels, chipmunks, snakes, coons, possums, skunks, & even bears. I make a lot of my living off trapping critters around feeders. Cats are there for the birds, as are the snakes, & such. I preach to my customers to not keep feeders attached to their houses, or even close by. It attracts a lot of wildlife which moves into their homes.
Animals in heat are noisy for sure. Again, responsible pet owners should spay or neuter. Dogs will tear down fences, go over or under fences etc to get to a female dog in heat. Again, damages, and irresponsible pet owners.
YES, there are laws in most places about the owners being responsible for their pets. If you have a problem, then call the County Animal Control, (usually within the sheriff's dept,) and they do remove the offenders or cite the owners. If you do not report it, they can't fix it.
You are correct, I do not do cat or dog removals. I allow the legal folks to handle those calls. However, I have recovered a few cats up trees, taken a dog to a vet for euthansia, etc. I do understand your business as an entomologist and past control. You are correct, pet owners and uneducated people are the biggest problem.

Feral cats AND dogs can & often are a nuisance. Controls are necessary. But, my original question of why people hate cats hasn't been answered. As noted by us above, it's irresponsible pet owners who create the problems.
When stupid people get a pet, and then decide they can not keep it, or no longer want it, they dump it out "in the country" thinking it can & will survive easily. Well, I have seen starving dogs & cats on my place. I try & capture & rescue as many as I can. Yet, some are too far gone to save.

All in all, this forum seems to be made up of some great folks. I just hope that there isn't any of them that will shoot a cat or dog just because it's a cat or a dog.
All of Gods creatures deserve respect. Even in my job, I try & handle all the wildlife gently, and humanely. Even when they try & bite me. BTW; I have to put down a lot of wildlife thanks to uneducated people who refuse to accept the fact that their actions caused the animals to move into their houses, or destroy their bird feeders. In fact, one former customer who put out 50 lbs of corn & 50 lbs of dog food weekly for the deer, coons, birds etc got VERY upset that flying squirrels moved into her house. I'll never forget her comment; "If I had known that the animals I love to feed would move into my house I would have never bought a cabin in the woods."

Folks, the key here is education.
Before you condem a species, learn about them.

firefly1957
01-30-2012, 07:58 AM
contender1 I had forgotten about the sideline on previous page on cats You noticed that "a 45 keeps them from eating partridge and rabbits" was the reason this was not a pet it was a feral cat that has no place in the wild.

You answered your own question people hate cats because of how their owners act. none of us have discussed cats kept in the home it is the cat that has caused trouble on our property. And it is not just killing wildlife for some reason cats do not always bury their scat I have had at least two use this porch to make a stink on I assume it is territory marking behavior but is unacceptable a third animal destroyed a couple boxes of Christmas items I left on back porch. I am in a isolated area anyone who lets a cat run hear should be ticketed for animal abuse as the coyotes eat them like candy. Over a mile south of me there is a house that often has more than one cat in the yard, driving down the road one early morning there was a good sized bobcat stalking them I have been tempted to stop by and ask if they are loosing cats but I have not seen a cat out in a month now?

I do feed the birds and control what animals I have in the yard last year I had a large number of skunks this was area wide and one reason I was told was because of a low amount of rabies in them now allowing populations to explode . I set traps targeting these skunks in the yard and have caught cats also again these are wild/feral cats not pets for both cats and skunks I am starting to like the conibear traps they kill instead of hold. I also keep down the coon,coyote, opossum,mice, and red squirrel numbers. I enjoy the wildlife in the yard but cats have no place here unless it is a invited pet and even then it can be eaten by the wildlife that exists in the yard along with small dogs as well. My Corgi would duck under a trailer or go in the house when a eagle was overhead and he was bitten by a rattle snake also. (RARE HERE)

Did you start a thread on your question? That is the best forum for getting your answer but you may not like the results. I have talked to a few people who think they know animals and they claim a cat will not leave scat on a porch they do not know scat then as I have seen it done it is common for a male dog to do this though.

And as you said the key is education it appears you only read that a cat was shot not that "a 45 keeps them from killing partridge and rabbits" why was that? did your feelings get in the way of the text?
If I do have a problem with a neighbors pet I will A) talk to them , Then B) Take it up with animal control (cats are no longer controlled here by them) C) is determined by the events animals have been taken to another county for re-adoption or destruction depending on their rules. Now with the RFID chips the animal could always turn back up but few owners use them here and with cut backs some counties no longer have animal control. By the way cats are not protected by law here and neither are unlicensed dogs and the dog must be wearing the tag also.

contender1
01-30-2012, 10:35 AM
Good followup firefly. I didn't start a new thread, and I'll stop with this post here.
I too live in the country, and I too see problems a lot. I understand some folks will shoot cats just for crossing a yard, or being on a person't property. Dogs do the same things but do not get the same treatment. Yes, the OP was about KEEPING a cat FROM killing a partridge or rabbit. NOT about seeing them do it & then killing them. Many coyotes, foxes, coons will do the same thing. I do not wantonly kill any critter unless it's in the act of doing damage, or causing damage. Just killing anything because it could possibly do these things was my point.
Another side note. I was on another Forum that had a similar comment by a member about killing cats. Yet that Forum had many of it's members stand up & defend their pets. I didn't see that here. I was hoping this Forum had the same caliber of folks. And some of the members are on both forums.
Notice I did NOT accuse anyone of anything, as it would call for spectulation on my part, but I was hoping to maybe get someone to explain why they hated a species. I also hoped my posting would help some folks understand all animals, not just cats.
Basically, I guess I was trying to get an educated answer to a question all while helping other folks look at things with a different view.
No more from me here, in this post about animals.

sparky45
01-30-2012, 11:06 AM
Good followup firefly. I didn't start a new thread, and I'll stop with this post here.
I too live in the country, and I too see problems a lot. I understand some folks will shoot cats just for crossing a yard, or being on a person't property. Dogs do the same things but do not get the same treatment. Yes, the OP was about KEEPING a cat FROM killing a partridge or rabbit. NOT about seeing them do it & then killing them. Many coyotes, foxes, coons will do the same thing. I do not wantonly kill any critter unless it's in the act of doing damage, or causing damage. Just killing anything because it could possibly do these things was my point.
Another side note. I was on another Forum that had a similar comment by a member about killing cats. Yet that Forum had many of it's members stand up & defend their pets. I didn't see that here. I was hoping this Forum had the same caliber of folks. And some of the members are on both forums.
Notice I did NOT accuse anyone of anything, as it would call for spectulation on my part, but I was hoping to maybe get someone to explain why they hated a species. I also hoped my posting would help some folks understand all animals, not just cats.
Basically, I guess I was trying to get an educated answer to a question all while helping other folks look at things with a different view.
No more from me here, in this post about animals.

I think Catshooter got your point(s), he's been very quiet on this page of comments. It takes a different mentality or upbringing to want to kill for the fun of it, as I doubt that he eats what he kills. On another note, people often hunt Bob Cats(hunting and trapping) for their Fur. There is a season for that.

firefly1957
01-30-2012, 07:44 PM
Back to point I can not believe so few people have had issues with there CC gun when I was a guard 1975-1977 my partner would spray his entire loaded gun with WD-40 when we went to the range none of his ammo in the gun would fire as the primer got WD-40 in them.

Catshooter
01-30-2012, 09:33 PM
Oh! I was quiet as I didn't realize that this was directed to me.

Contender, I've only read part of your posts so I may be missing the mark here, but I don't hate cats. Love 'em actually.

My screen name is from a time (years ago) at a friends house. He had just moved in and his two year old was used to their cats. The place he moved to had about 35 feral cats and he was terrified his daughter was gonna get hurt.

Every seen a feral cat up close? They're nasty, filthy critters. I used my 1911 Colt to assist him with his problem, shooting about 17 or 18 of them. No hate involved, I had a ball because of the sport of it. It was quite a challenge.

And nope, I most definatley did not eat any of my kills! The fleas they all had were large enough that I could hear them land when they abandonded ship. The tape worms were big enough to need a hunting license of there own.

I love animals, but that doesn't mean I can't shoot them if needed. I just don't kill them without a purpose. I went deer hunting two years ago with a friend. We stayed in the truck most of the time we were out. Saw deer. Didn't even try to kill any and we both had a great time just being out in the woods and shooting the bull.

It is absolutley a proven fact that serial killers often start by torturing and killing animals. No torture on my part.

Having said all that, (long post for me) only a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart.

Does that answer it all for you?

Cat

sparky45
01-30-2012, 11:52 PM
How appropriate, a quote from Ulysses Everett McGill ; i.e. George Clooney.

"only a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart."
Must make ya feel all fuzzy inside.:redneck:

contender1
01-31-2012, 12:19 AM
First, I must apologize. I said I wasn't gonna comment anymore on this.
However, since Catshooter posted a few questions, I'll respond.
Notice I didn't name you, and even tried to say things to where you would know I was NOT picking on you or anyone else. Yes, your handle raised my eyebrow, but being a smart person, I didn't name you because I had no knowledge of why you chose that name. Thank you for the explaniation.
And if you look closely at my posts, you will see I deal in nuisance animals. Yes, I FULLY understand the need to control any problem animal. Cats included. The situtation you described is a very good example of necessary controls. Yes, I too have seen my share of feral cats. I own land in the country where folks love to abandon pets. And, as I fully alluded to, it's irresponsible people that are a bigger problem.
Please understand I was not trying to seem like I was directing anything at you directly. I was just using your comment about shooting them to open a different though process. PLEASE forgive me if I upset you in any way. It was NOT my intention. I was more reminded of guys I knew growing up, or men I've been around who would just shoot a cat just because it was a cat. I'm sure you are a fine person Cat!
Let's all just let this issue die, as I doubt seriously I'll ever get an answer anywhere on why some people hate a species.

thompsonm1a1
01-31-2012, 12:33 AM
i am surprised that many people have a CC permit and dont carry that often. things are getting a bit tough up here in Canada and we can only dream about a CCW permit as the govt says that the police are just a phone call away and we dont need a handgun to protect ourselves, what a joke the police can be up here. there are a few groups trying to get CCW up here but the govt is not paying much attention to us. if you have a CCW permit use it to protect yourself on the mean streets. if i were to carry i would be using a mod 36 smith loaded with hydro shock bullets to +p speed, i have seen what these bullets can do.

firefly1957
01-31-2012, 09:59 AM
thompsonm1a1 I feel your concern up there I have heard there are changes for the better in your government lets hope they continue. I have found the auto loader is easier to carry because of how flat they are. I do believe (but have not seen)* a good revolver is a tad more reliable than a auto loader how ever I chose the 45 over the 9mm and would need to go with a larger revolver than your pick. I do have a Charter Arms Bulldog in 44 Special I have carried and really like the option of shot loads that gun gives me.
* My model 29 had debris get in that stopped the cylinder from turning and had to be taken apart to clean my fault just like P-245. I was wearing it in belt holster while cutting wood and chip got in very unlikely place.

thx997303
01-31-2012, 02:18 PM
I carry either a springfield XD9, XDm45, or a Ruger LCP normally.

Occasionally the S&W model 10 gets carried for nostalgia.

The XD9 has never had an issue in the thousands of rounds I've fired through it.

The Ruger LCP has had no issues, just that it recoils a bit more than I would like, and the sights are a joke, will soon be replacing the LCP with a Sig P238.

The XD45 I had was so unreliable with cast boolits due to a design flaw, that I wondered when it may start having problems with jacketed rounds, so it got sold and an XDm45 replaced it. The XDm45 of course addressed the design flaw, and it's been perfectly reliable with all ammo shot through it.

I DID have an issue with my thumb hitting the slide lock when firing, but that was solved by adjusting my grip.

The S&W model 10 has a joke for sights as well, but it will shoot accurately to 100 yards easilyif I do my part.

All in all, no, I don't have issues with my carry guns.

thompsonm1a1
01-31-2012, 03:04 PM
enjoy the right to CCW and carry if you have a permit as up here in Canada we do not have the right to carry up here. the only place i can carry in a holster is at my local range.

Catshooter
01-31-2012, 07:48 PM
Sparky,

I wondered if anybody'd spot that! Good on ya, and yup, we be rednecks.

Contender,

No offense taken (and none given, I hope).

The written word is fantastically limited and I try to keep that in mind.

Cat

BD
01-31-2012, 09:19 PM
I'll pass on the ethics of shooting cats as it's it's entirely dependent on the situation.

All firearms are mechanical devices prone to mishap, lack of maintenance and wear. Personally I've had more issues with revolvers than 1911s, but YMMV. i carry a a J-frame smith all the time, and a 1911 when my attire will hide it. The light weight J-frames are good for 10,000 rounds or less. Five or six years IMHO if you practice with it enough to be good at it. A good 1911 is good for 50,000 rounds, (ten years with maintenance?) The Sig and Glock guys I've known well have had issues at about 40,000 rounds.

When you make the decision to carry, you also make the decision to practice with the firearm chosen to the point of proficiency, and you are responsible to keep it working and replace it when when needed.

Buy it, shoot it often enough to be confident in it, maintain it, an replace it when needed. If you're not putting 50 rounds a week through it for the first ten years, I doubt your proficiency. The platform is not the question. Your proficiency and mindset are the answer.

I personally don't know any handgun experts who have not worn out at least one carry gun. Your second carry gun may well last longer, but you need to shoot your first one more.
BD

Geraldo
01-31-2012, 09:42 PM
If you have problems with failures to fire, failures to feed, failures to whatever with a handgun and still choose to carry it, I have to question your sense of self-preservation.

Same goes for holsters that come out of your waistband with the gun, holsters that don't hold your pistol securely, belts that don't hold your holster securely, mags that don't work well, etc.

In a situation that may cost your life, why would anyone knowingly use gear that doesn't work?