PDA

View Full Version : Just got done restocking my Ruger No. 3....

Harry O
03-08-2007, 07:37 PM
With Ruger No. 1 wood. The No. 3 buttstock seems to accentuate the recoil. I bought a wildcat No. 3 with No. 1 wood and found that even with reloads that had MORE momentum, the recoil was nothing. So I decided to restock one of my other No. 3's. Just finished it last night. Took it to the indoor range to try it out (and get it on paper at 25 yards) and everything still works. Better yet, the felt recoil is a lot less. I will be trying it and the 100yd and 200 yd ranges as soon as the snow melts off and the roads dry enough to drive them. Then I will be able to find out if I have any tweeking to do.

No_1
03-08-2007, 07:41 PM
Looks Sweet! I am fond of the single shot rugers. Where did you get your wood from?

Robert

With Ruger No. 1 wood. The No. 3 buttstock seems to accentuate the recoil. I bought a wildcat No. 3 with No. 1 wood and found that even with reloads that had MORE momentum, the recoil was nothing. So I decided to restock one of my other No. 3's. Just finished it last night. Took it to the indoor range to try it out (and get it on paper at 25 yards) and everything still works. Better yet, the felt recoil is a lot less. I will be trying it and the 100yd and 200 yd ranges as soon as the snow melts off and the roads dry enough to drive them. Then I will be able to find out if I have any tweeking to do.

Harry O
03-08-2007, 07:54 PM
Great American Gunstock from their "bargain bin". It was not cheap, but after numerous eBay auctions for No. 1 wood went higher (and most were a LOT higher) than the Great American price, I went ahead and bought it. It was 95% finished. I fitted it and finished it. It was not difficult -- just took time.

cabezaverde
03-08-2007, 08:40 PM
Looks nice Harry, I like it a lot. You and I have conversed electronically about these #2's in the past.

Depending on what caliber yours is, you might find that the lever can be a little painful with full house loads, unless it is a hornet or a 223.

I am researching where and how to cut the lever to get what I want with some folks on the ASSRA forum.

Four Fingers of Death
03-08-2007, 09:06 PM
Great job, well done. Mick.

Harry O
03-08-2007, 09:31 PM
Depending on what caliber yours is, you might find that the lever can be a little painful with full house loads, unless it is a hornet or a 223.

If you find someone that can do a good job, let me know. It should be changed just for the looks. However, it does not seem to be that much of a problem so far.

I originally thought that the lever would be a problem (and it probably is with the 45-70), but I bought the wildcat No. 2 in a 7mm/30-40 Krag Improved caliber, No. 1 wood, and a standard lever. I can shoot a 140gr bullet at 2,880fps with no problems at all (recoil or pinky finger).

This one is a standard 30-40 Krag. I started out shooting some Lyman 311413 with 13gr of Red Dot. Then moved up to reduced 180gr loads, then up to full house 220gr loads. No problems yet.

No_1
03-08-2007, 09:35 PM
Harry,

Would it be to much to ask for you to send me a couple of fire formed brass from that 7/30-40? I have 35/30-40 and 25/30-40 and would love to have a couple of your caliber for my collection.

Robert

If you find someone that can do a good job, let me know. It should be changed just for the looks. However, it does not seem to be that much of a problem so far.

I originally thought that the lever would be a problem (and it probably is with the 45-70), but I bought the wildcat No. 2 in a 7mm/30-40 Krag Improved caliber, No. 1 wood, and a standard lever. I can shoot a 140gr bullet at 2,880fps with no problems at all (recoil or pinky finger).

This one is a standard 30-40 Krag. I started out shooting some Lyman 311413 with 13gr of Red Dot. Then moved up to reduced 180gr loads, then up to full house 220gr loads. No problems yet.

cabezaverde
03-08-2007, 09:38 PM
My #3 and my Uberti High Wall are both 30-40 Krags. 2 of my favorite guns.

There are a couple of Krag #3's on the auction sites right now. Man, are they getting pricey.

Here is the link to ASSRA I started about the lever. One guy mentioned cutting it like a Borchardt lever. I googled up some images and it looks like something I could do myself.

http://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1173215174/0

Harry O
03-08-2007, 09:40 PM
Harry,

Would it be to much to ask for you to send me a couple of fire formed brass from that 7/30-40? I have 35/30-40 and 25/30-40 and would love to have a couple of your caliber for my collection.

Robert

PM me your address and I will send them out. I can send some dummies with bullets seated, if you wish. I also form 9.5x57Mannlicher-Schoenauer caliber out of 35 Whelen brass if you have any interest in a couple of them.

No_1
03-13-2007, 05:04 PM
Harry,

I just received the cases and the drawing. I did not expect the drawing which will help when I get reamers & dies made. Thanks for taking the time to send these items to me. I am dead set on having singleshots with all caliber diameters A.I.'d using the 30-40 case as a base before I pass into the silver lining. There is something about this rimmed cartridge in a single shot that has me hooked....

Robert

PM me your address and I will send them out. I can send some dummies with bullets seated, if you wish. I also form 9.5x57Mannlicher-Schoenauer caliber out of 35 Whelen brass if you have any interest in a couple of them.

Char-Gar
03-14-2007, 05:17 PM
Don't let this get out...but..the folks at Great American will dicker on the prices of the items in their bargin list.

Harry O
03-15-2007, 08:15 AM
No. 1: Glad you got it. I originally did some measurements and figured it should be close to a .284 Winchester and/or a .280 Remington. After doing some reloading, chronographing, and testing, I would say it is a dead-on clone of the .280 Remington. I think I can use any bullet and load for the .280 Remington in this gun without change. The .284 Winchester is close, but not dead-on.

BTW, the dies that came with this were from Hornady. I stopped at the Hornady factory shortly after that, but they could not help me with any factory drawings or anything. The drawing was made by me from measurements of the sized case (not the unsized case). However, there is very little working of the brass, so they must be close.

Charger: Sometimes they will deal and sometimes they won't. They wouldn't on this one. They did on a previous one I got from them.

Harry O
04-10-2007, 12:11 PM
My wife tried the restocked Ruger No. 3 in 30-40 Krag and now wants one for her Ruger No. 3 in .375 Winchester. I load it for her with BP to make a faux 38-55. She likes it, but liked the other buttstock better. Just snagged another 95% finished stock, but it is not quite as fancy as the one I have on mine.