PDA

View Full Version : Rockchucker or Big Boss?

cp478
01-19-2012, 11:17 AM
I am looking to pick up a single stage for rifle loads. I am trying to decide between a rcbs rockchucker or the redding big boss. Just wanted to hear the opinions on here and why one over the other.

Thank you all in advance!

375RUGER
01-19-2012, 11:41 AM
I think, flip a coin between those 2.
what do you use for pistol? I only use a single stage for any cartridge that I don't have a conversion kit for. Or some operation that doesn't work on a progressive. I have a 550B so it can do single stage operations or progressive.

Ickisrulz
01-19-2012, 11:59 AM
I have used the Rock Chucker, but never the Big Boss. The press I use is the CH Champion. It's more expensive than either the RCBS or Redding, but it's very nice--much nicer than a Rock Chucker. Cost really shouldn't be much of an issue when considering presses will last a lifetime.

CH4d.com

oscarflytyer
01-19-2012, 12:14 PM
had my RC since 1986. Never a problem and if for some reason I lost it would immediately replace it in kind. Only press I have ever used and very happy with it.

jimkim
01-19-2012, 12:40 PM
Between those two get the Rock Chucker. Look at the linkages. See how they are attached to the frame. That is where the Redding is weak. The bolt that supports the linkages is supported on both ends on the RC. On the Redding, it is just screwed into the frame. You may be chasing primers but the RC is the stronger design.

01-19-2012, 12:49 PM
Between those two get the Rock Chucker. Look at the linkages. See how they are attached to the frame. That is where the Redding is weak. The bolt that supports the linkages is supported on both ends on the RC. On the Redding, it is just screwed into the frame. You may be chasing primers but the RC is the stronger design.

Exactly! I've had an RC forever- no issues. A friend bought a Redding a few years ago. Used it for average '06 class type loading for a year or two- started breaking pins. Bottom line- do as you want.

Moondawg
01-19-2012, 01:12 PM
I don't know about the Redding single stage press, I gave up on single stage presses about six years ago when I bought my Redding Turrent Press. I have loaded many thousands of rounds on it since, the largest being 30-06 and 45-70, without a bit of problem and without anything breaking. The beauty of the Redding turrent is that I can leave it set up for 38-55 and 45-70 three die sets, and have one hole left over to loading any thing else. It is a heavy massive press strong enough to load most anything except 50BMG. I sold two Rock Chuckers when I got the Redding. One of the Rock Chuckers was probably about 25 years old. Both were trouble free presses, but so is my Redding Turrent and I spend a lot less time switching dies around and adjusting them. It all depending on how much reloading you do.

Reload3006
01-19-2012, 01:47 PM
I have owned a rockchucker since 1977 its never once given me any greif. I bought the blackmon swage conversion for it now it doubles as a swage press too. I agonized a long time before I turned loose the money on the starter kit it came in. for me back then an E3 in the navy that was a huge chunk of change and I still had to get a scale and powder measure. But all this time later it all works just as good as it did the day I bought it. I read all these posts about people who have bought other powder measures etc and cry that they are having this trouble or that trouble or this doesnt quite work right or this powder doesnt flow well or it leaks etc I have never had that problem with my RCBS gear. The only trouble I ever had with any of my RCBS gear was a step son tore all my dies apart and lost pieces I called RCBS up told them what happened hoping that they would know what was missing and sell me the missing pieces. They knew what was missing and sent them to me Free of charge. Go RCBS you will not be disappointed.

jimkim
01-19-2012, 02:04 PM
I don't know about the Redding single stage press, I gave up on single stage presses about six years ago when I bought my Redding Turrent Press. I have loaded many thousands of rounds on it since, the largest being 30-06 and 45-70, without a bit of problem and without anything breaking. The beauty of the Redding turrent is that I can leave it set up for 38-55 and 45-70 three die sets, and have one hole left over to loading any thing else. It is a heavy massive press strong enough to load most anything except 50BMG. I sold two Rock Chuckers when I got the Redding. One of the Rock Chuckers was probably about 25 years old. Both were trouble free presses, but so is my Redding Turrent and I spend a lot less time switching dies around and adjusting them. It all depending on how much reloading you do.

I apologize, but this is beginning to get to me, and I fear I may loose it, if I don't say something. The word is turret. It's a turret press. Turrent isn't a word, yet. Please forgive me for singling you out.

Dan Cash
01-19-2012, 02:55 PM
I disagree that one of these two presses is particularly stronger than the other. If you break either one of them you have seriously abused the press. I have a Rock Chucker which I bought used 30 years ago. No problem with it except it does not catch spent primers fo beans. The Redding Big Boss II will accept larger dies by removing the bushing in the frame as does the Rock Chucker. The Boss press does not have the bushing. I recently bought a T7 Turret and find it smoother to operate and it seems to have more leverage than the RCBS. It has the same linkage design as the Boss and Big Boss. The Redding on press priming system wins hands down for me.

OuchHot!
01-19-2012, 03:34 PM
I have about 35 years on a Rock Chucker with only one complaint. The spent primer collection method sucks. If the Big Boss drops the primers through the ram straight down then I would buy the big boss. Every redding tool I have is very well built and I cannot see any reasonable activity harming either press. I am convinced both are very fine presses. The odd primer in the rug with the RC upsets me.

jimkim
01-19-2012, 03:37 PM
I agree that one is not particularly stronger for reloading, but if he should decide to swage bullets with it, the RC is stronger. I know he didn't ask about swaging, but I like to cover all the angles.

milprileb
01-19-2012, 05:33 PM
I get no spent primers on the floor with my 1972 Rock Chucker. However it took me from 72 to 2012 to finally solve how to prevent primers on the floor.

I took a vitamin plastic bottle, cut to fit and shoved it onto the front of the RC press. Held in place with rubber band. Looks like heck but no more primers on the floor.

flashhole
01-19-2012, 05:46 PM
Another excellent choice is the Lee Classic Cast or the Redding Ultramag. I own both and highly recommend them.

jimkim
01-19-2012, 05:49 PM
I own a LCC too, but the Ultramag makes me drool. That and a Co-Ax. They are both on my bucket list.

01-19-2012, 09:16 PM
If you are left-handed, the new Rock Chucker IV has an ambidexterous toggle block.

I called RCBS and asked if the new toggle block will fit an older RC II, and was told that it doesn't. Drat.

milprileb
01-19-2012, 10:45 PM
Co Ax is a race car with roller handle on it .

Mk42gunner
01-19-2012, 11:28 PM
I have a Rock Chucker, bought for $15 at an auction when the local gun shop owner retired. I have never used a Redding press, so I can't give an opinion on them.

I have read good reviews of the Lee Calssic Cast press, it is supposed to handle spent primers way better than the RCBS (my only gripe with the RC).

Robert

LatheRunner
01-19-2012, 11:42 PM
I have both presses. The RCBS is an old one. It has the bushing for the larger dies . The Redding boss does not. They both are good presses. I use one to seat the bullets and one to crimp. I can load more round rounds this way. You really can't go wrong with ether one.

LatheRunner

canyon-ghost
01-20-2012, 12:22 AM
I have Rockchucker presses (2) and use some custom Redding die sets. Had 3 presses at one time, sold an RCII, kept the RC1 and RC4 on the reloading table. My powder measure is a Redding Model 3. I mix or match whatever I want, my money and choice!

jimkim
01-20-2012, 01:22 AM
I have Rockchucker presses (2) and use some custom Redding die sets. Had 3 presses at one time, sold an RCII, kept the RC1 and RC4 on the reloading table. My powder measure is a Redding Model 3. I mix or match whatever I want, my money and choice!

I think it would take some nerve to tell someone what they can or can't do with their own money. That's out of bounds! Who said it? Did they delete it?

cp478
01-20-2012, 07:20 AM
Well, just when I thought I had narrowed it down to two press's I am now looking at a third option. The Forster press.

OuchHot!
01-20-2012, 03:26 PM
The coax is a very nice press with a very long stroke. If you are fine with the stroke and the vertical handle at rest (my bench has shelves behind the press that I like to reach) then you could hardly go wrong. Coax wasn't my cuppa but it is a very fine press.

stubshaft
01-20-2012, 05:00 PM
I got my Rockchucker press in 1972 and it is still going strong it has loaded untold thousands of loads over the years. I also have a Bonanza Co-ax from the same time period and it too has never failed me. Although I usually use the Co-ax for medium to small rifle cartridges only and to run small batches of handgun ammo rather than using one of my progressives.

o6Patient
01-01-2013, 10:15 AM
My rock chucker has been bullet proof over 30 years and is probably smoother and
just as tight as the day I bought it. Mine seems to catch most of the primers.
The reddings are / were obviously built to compete with the RC.
Redding makes fine products and if I were to buy one right now..price being about
equal I would try a redding mostly on the weight of their primer catching system
and typically machine their products to very close tolerances (much like RCBS
originally built their reputation on).