PDA

View Full Version : I think next month I will get my Crockett

Boerrancher
01-19-2012, 08:53 AM
Yesterday I sold my small heard of goats. I told SWMBO several days ago that I wanted a Crockett and she gave me the look. If you are married you know the look. Well I don't give up easy. I can be manipulative when I want to be. She had been talking about a new TV for several months now. The one that we have, she bought nearly 20 years ago before we were ever married or had kids. It has served us well, but the last year or so the picture has started getting darker, making it difficult to watch some movies when the sun is up.

Yesterday she was fighting with the TV trying to get all of the curtains and blinds closed so she could watch the news, and said, "I ought to go out and get a new TV with some of the goat money, since you are going to find a way to get that gun you want." I had all but given up hope of her ever turning loose of enough money for me to order the Crockett. Yes, she is in charge of the money. I use to be until I went back into the army but with me being gone all the time it just made sense that she do it. When I was finally discharged she was doing such a good job of it, I didn't want that responsibility back, but before any big purchase, I need to run it past her to make sure that we are good in the bank department.

Once she said that she wanted a new TV, which we did need, I told her to go buy one, knowing that she wouldn't come dragging back some 55 inch mega huge flat screen. She came back with a rather moderately priced and sized TV. Which means that come next month after we pay all of our bills, I will be able to order my Crockett and all the extra stuff, like a mold, and patch and ball puller. By getting it in Feb, it will give me plenty of time to work up a load and get it ready for squirrel season come the end of May. I love the way family dynamics work.

Best wishes,

Joe

Hanshi
01-19-2012, 01:17 PM
As a Crockett owner I can tell you that you won't regret your choice.

451 Pete
01-19-2012, 01:57 PM
Joe, The .32 is one of the most fun to shoot. I'll bet the Crockett soom becomes a favorite with you.

Pete

Boerrancher
01-19-2012, 01:58 PM
Hanshi,

What kind of load do you use with yours and what kind of accuracy do you get? I am kind of excited about playing with it when it comes in. I always have wanted a 32cal, but never got one because a friend of my father's years ago, who was a muzzle loader from way back, and collected Gimmers and Tingles bought a 32cal from some where and it shot all over the map. He tried everything to make it shoot good and it just wouldn't. I always figured if Don could not make a BP gun shoot, there was something wrong with the gun. That was my first experience with a 32 and needless to say with it being bad, I would only entertain a 32 as a passing thought. When I saw some of the targets that were posted here and read how well 32's will shoot, it really brought back my desire to own one, and have one to start my kids out with.

Best wishes,

Joe

451 Pete
01-19-2012, 05:18 PM
:coffeecomJoe,
I can tell you what I have found with my Dixie Squirrel. Using a .310 RB and .010 patch over 20 grains 3fg. Swiss it can pretty consistantly make head shots on tree rodents at 50 yds. Not enough recoil to even raise the muzzle. Never shot it too much off of a bench to see if I could make it do any better. Because of the long barrel and small cal. I found it loads and shoots best by using one damp and then one dry patch to wipe out about every third shot. I carry a small bottle of solvent with me iin my bag when I go out. I always snap a cap to dry the chamber after wiping out too. I've got a lot of squirrels with it and a few racoon. Don't forget when you buy the gun to pick up a smaller jag and a worm.
As a side note, I have a .36 Tingle here too. Mine works but I have heard that it was a hit and miss proposition sometimes with those .... some shot and some didn't . I don't know why.

hope this helps .... Pete

DIRT Farmer
01-20-2012, 12:24 AM
I built my 32 flinter with a Green Moutain barrel, for a load I use 25 grns of Goex fffg under a .319 ball and ticking patching. With the patching lubedwith mutton tallow I can get five shots before wiping. Deer tallow also works, might try goat tallow.

The priming horn you made will hold plenty of powder for a mornings hunt.

Boerrancher
01-20-2012, 12:51 AM
Well I am hoping that somewhere around 20 grs of 3f on a 390 PRB will be about right to bust some bushy tails. I love smoke poles and I can hardly wait out the next 10-12 days before I order it.

Best wishes,

Joe

HARRYMPOPE
01-20-2012, 01:10 AM
i have had my Crockett for two weeks and shot it twice.I have only used 310 balls from a 20 cavity buckshot mold so far.The balls are NOT exactly uniform and you must cut the sprue with pliers. They shoot 1.5" at 25 yards with 20g of FFF Goex and is a decent can lod.I was ready to try my 32 TC Maxiball mold when i dropped the gun on the hammer and broke the sear.Traditions customer service will not even answer my emails(instant response not by a real person) or return calls so far.As cute as the gun is i will sell it when i have it repaired and buy a .32 barrel for my TC Hawken.

George

bigdaddy0826
01-26-2012, 02:31 AM
My Cherokee 32 will shoot 4 inches at 50 yrds with hornady 310 ball ahead of 20g of Swiss FFFg. I use .015 pillow ticking 3/4 inche patches lubed with a home brew lube. My last shot loads and shoots as well as the first. I swab the barrel after about 10 shots. I am currently looking for a way to shoot 36 cal but have not found a gun or a replacement barrel for any of my rifles.

I have a 45 cal hawkins that shoots a .430 conical casted for 44 mag. I use a 1 inch lubed patch ahead of 40g of FFFg. Shoots tight enough to consistently hit soda can at 50. Great shooter. Lots of fun. Amazing how much fun shooting 30 or 40 times per range trip can be.

HARRYMPOPE
01-29-2012, 02:42 AM
OK i had the wrong customer service number.Sorry about the badmouth.i got hold of them and they offered to send the part for free.I already had one by then.

George

Boerrancher
01-29-2012, 11:47 AM
OK i had the wrong customer service number.Sorry about the badmouth.i got hold of them and they offered to send the part for free.I already had one by then.

George

Dang, I was hoping you were so disgusted with them that I could buy your rifle on the cheep. :kidding:

Since it looks like I am not going to be able to buy that Crockett off of you, I am glad you got it fixed and all of your problems resolved with Traditions. I also hope that it serves you as well as any gun can. Thanks for pointing out it was a misunderstanding and Traditions was indeed going to make it right.

Best wishes,

Joe

HARRYMPOPE
01-29-2012, 09:44 PM
i shot the 32 maxiball today with 20g of Triple 7 FFF is was holding 1.5" at 50 yards in a bit of wind.With 25g it blew the hammer open a bit and spit on my face.
accurate molds got my samples and can cut one for you now.

I still may get a barrel for my TC and sell the Crockett.I'm a TC guy still.

George

Boerrancher
01-29-2012, 10:25 PM
I think when I can get mine I will stick with PRBs. I never have been a conical guy for MLs. I may some day try some but, I don't even have the gun yet.

Best wishes,

Joe

DIRT Farmer
01-29-2012, 11:00 PM
Harry if you decide to put a barrel on the T-C Tip Curtis Frontieer shop has the Cherokee sized breach plug an componets.

Off topic, Joe did your goats go to South Eastern Indiana?

stubshaft
01-30-2012, 12:46 AM
Not to hijack the thread but George where were you going to get your 32 drop in from? I haven't been able to find one for years, since GM isn't making them now.

Boerrancher
01-30-2012, 07:35 AM
Dirt Farmer,

No, they went to the Lake of the Ozarks.

best wishes,

Joe

HARRYMPOPE
01-30-2012, 11:00 AM
Not to hijack the thread but George where were you going to get your 32 drop in from? I haven't been able to find one for years, since GM isn't making them now.

Jedediah Star

Hanshi
01-30-2012, 01:12 PM
FWIW, I've found Traditions Customer Service responds well to phone calls and that's the way I've always communicated with them. I've never trusted email all that much.

HARRYMPOPE
01-31-2012, 01:44 AM
FWIW, I've found Traditions Customer Service responds well to phone calls and that's the way I've always communicated with them. I've never trusted email all that much.

they do when you all the right number(dumb me) I kept getting a general call center that put me on hold forever that i thought was them.I never did get an email response.

Old Goat Keeper
01-31-2012, 03:17 AM
I had 2 Crocketts when they first came out. First one ha dserious trigger problems. Second with ok trigger I could NEVER get it to shoot. It sits in the corner now just to remind me that cheap rifles don't usually shoot well. Also the Crocketts have the wrong twist in the barrel for round ball shooting.

General .32 caliber rifle info: They do take a whole lot fo work to get them shoooting well. You will need to clean them way more often than larger calibers to keeps optimum accuracy. NEVER cast your balls or conicals from anything but PURE lead. Do NOT use hardened buckshsot or wheel weight lead blend for casting.

My next small bore muzzleloader will be a .40 caliber. Very accuract and most of the problems disappear at that size barrel.

T-o-m

Boerrancher
01-31-2012, 08:19 AM
[QUOTE=Old Goat Keeper;1569399] Crocketts have the wrong twist in the barrel for round ball shooting.[QUOTE]

How can a 1 in 48 be the wrong twist for round ball shooting? If it had a 1 in 28 then I would say yes it is the wrong twist, 1 in 36 yeah maybe.

Best wishes,

Joe

HARRYMPOPE
01-31-2012, 11:00 AM
I areee withBorerancher-1-48 is fine for RB in 32.
Mine shoots them well anyhow.So does my 45-50 and 54's in 1-48 if not driven to crazy velocity.

George