PDA

View Full Version : Rossi mares leg????

NSP64
01-19-2012, 05:59 AM
Just saw some and thought they are cooool. Anyone have/had one? They are available in 38/357, 44 mag, 45LC.
Just curious.
might buy one
I dont shoot cowboy action, but might start. lol

kliff
01-19-2012, 06:57 AM
Kinda wantin' one myself...

btroj
01-19-2012, 07:46 AM
Cool? I think they are ugly as all get out.
If you wantone more power to you but I just can't see a use for one beyond playing around.

imashooter2
01-19-2012, 08:02 AM
Just saw some and thought they are cooool. Anyone have/had one? They are available in 38/357, 44 mag, 45LC.
Just curious.
might buy one
I dont shoot cowboy action, but might start. lol

That gun won't be competitive in cowboy action unless you have phenomenal skills. Even then, those skills would apply to a real rifle better.

imashooter2
01-19-2012, 08:03 AM
Cool? I think they are ugly as all get out.
If you wantone more power to you but I just can't see a use for one beyond playing around.

Nothing wrong with buying a gun just for playing around...

NSP64
01-19-2012, 08:07 AM
I searched and found that they have a 1/30 twist on all calibers.
If I remember right this is slower then pistols of those chamberings. Are they counting on the increased velocity to offset the slower rifling rates?

HBAR2989
01-19-2012, 06:04 PM
Don't have one, but I just ordered a 16" 92 ss in 44 mag. It should be fun.

dragonrider
01-19-2012, 06:47 PM
see them here
http://www.rossiusa.com/product-list.cfm?category=17

Doc.Holliday
01-20-2012, 05:09 PM
Have had one of these in 45 colt since they came out.
I have thoroughly enjoyed this weapon and if you reload you can afford to become quite proficient with this.
If you have the dollars to spend ; go for it and enjoy yourself.
The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.
Doc.

Old Goat Keeper
01-21-2012, 12:17 AM
Cabella's in Hamburg, PA has 2 in their case.

T-o-m

ocelott
01-21-2012, 12:49 AM
I picked up a few months ago a Case Blued Mares leg from a local gun shop.

It was shooting about 12-14" high at 10 yards. So I replaced the rear sight with a skinner peep sight, and it shoots better - I'm currently running cowboy level loads but It's still shooting about 4" high at 10 yards :(

I guess I can try to push it to max level normal loads - or try heavier bullets... any suggestions?

eljefe
01-21-2012, 10:55 AM
Note that these are handguns, not rifles.
As far as the ATF is concerned, that is.

Ben
01-21-2012, 11:39 AM
ocelott

You need a taller front sight.

ocelott
01-21-2012, 11:55 AM
Any idea as to where to find one? I've tried all the usual suspects, Midway, cabellas, sinclares, etc...

NSP64
01-21-2012, 12:20 PM
I was watching Gunbroker

robertbank
01-22-2012, 12:00 PM
Has anyone bought one and then put on a regular stock? Seems to me it would be the ultimate carry combo in the right caliber for those who walk in the wild.

Incidentally up here they are regarded as long guns not handguns which is about the only sane thing our gun laws have going for them.

Take Care

Bob

eljefe
01-22-2012, 12:48 PM
Putting a stock on a mare's leg would require it to be registered
as a short barrelled rifle. That requires a $200 stamp from ATF.

Incidentally, SASS rules require a minimum barrel of 16", so it would
not be permitted for cowboy action shooting. For other uses, it looks
like a fun, very cool gun.

robertbank
01-22-2012, 12:53 PM
Putting a stock on a mare's leg would require it to be registered
as a short barrelled rifle. That requires a $200 stamp from ATF.

Incidentally, SASS rules require a minimum barrel of 16", so it would
not be permitted for cowboy action shooting. For other uses, it looks
like a fun, very cool gun.

I was thinking more in line with a carry gun for the bush. I don't have to worry about the ATF requirements as they don't apply up here and the mares leg is considered a rifle not a handgun in Canada. This combo might be an option if I can't find a .45Colt Puma with a 16" barrel up here.

Take Care

Bob

eljefe
01-22-2012, 09:26 PM
Bob, I should have qualified my post to indicate that
the info I provided would only apply in the United States.

Winchester made a number of short barrelled rifles,
so I would suggest that your idea has merit. I have not
shot this particular model, but have handled a few.
They seem like a nice weapon.

velojym
02-25-2012, 09:39 PM
The gun shop I visited today has a few up on the wall, and I was hooked as soon as I handled it. Whether I "need" it or not isn't really worth debating, and is in fact one of the anti-gunners' planks anyway.
I think it'd be a fine gun for my vehicle emergency kit, more accurate and powerful than any of my pistols, yet more wieldy and even.... dare I say it... concealable than any of my rifles.

Besides, I'm a Firefly fan. :)

I'm picturing this in a short scabbard under a backpack, or a thigh holster if in circumstances where that's acceptable.

rexherring
02-26-2012, 10:49 AM
Always reminded me of Steve McQueen in "Wanted Dead or Alive".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051327/

Don't see much use other than fun and emptying a lot of ammo at cans.

Katya Mullethov
02-26-2012, 12:13 PM
My wife discovered the mares leg while surfing the web one night and got a bug that she "needed" one . Best received Christmas present I have ever presented . She greedily consumed all my vintage 80's .38 and .357 reloads in short order and then asked those eternal questions , " How much did that stuff cost to shoot ? " and " Whataya mean ......"ABOUT".... a hundred bucks ?!?!?"

Now she's asking me ....if -I -.......want to go shooting . And it's progressed to the point that she was impatiently awaiting her own new molds in the mail . So not only is she shooting enough to be proficient, she is casting and reloading as well . I think this unique situation is an excellent example of at least one utility of gimmick guns .

It was a little clunky at first but has smoothed out somewhat . There was also a large chunk of BLUED milling machine swarf inside the bolt that prevented it from extracting the second round it fired . Having ordered it from my village smith , he set that straight the very next day and she was up and slaying freon cylinders that night . Only remaining bugs are a painfully stiff feed gate and a certain pickiness on feeding 357 .

kliff
02-26-2012, 12:36 PM
I bought one, and it is a blast! Sites, we don't need no stinking sites man! We just need(already have) a reloader to practice off the hip shooting! This thing will eat up some ammo trying to get good off the hip. And after all, that is how it was intended to be shot anyway..... watch the ole Steve McQeen bounty Hunter series, or the new FireFly series....off the hip is how this jewel is used....LOL, and it is fun! If a .22LR version were made, I'd have it too, JUST for extended practice sessions.

MtGun44
02-27-2012, 03:21 PM
Josh Randall thought they are cool. ;-)

Bill

sbfirekid
02-29-2012, 05:42 PM
i have a 38/357 and love it i am going to use it for hogs and HD/ truck gun they do shoot 12-14 high but it is very consistent

ilcop22
02-29-2012, 08:36 PM
I just sold one of those today. Neat little gun; classified as a handgun (and the packaging wouldn't let you forget that), but I don't really see the point. I couldn't quite figure out how you were supposed to shoot it.

rhead
03-29-2012, 05:22 AM
I bought one, and it is a blast! Sites, we don't need no stinking sites man! We just need(already have) a reloader to practice off the hip shooting! This thing will eat up some ammo trying to get good off the hip. And after all, that is how it was intended to be shot anyway..... watch the ole Steve McQeen bounty Hunter series, or the new FireFly series....off the hip is how this jewel is used....LOL, and it is fun! If a .22LR version were made, I'd have it too, JUST for extended practice sessions.

They do make it in 22lr. It is about $100 cheaper maybe more in your location.

Four Fingers of Death
03-29-2012, 10:49 AM
There has been a'Mare's Leg' on sale in the States for years, I have seen the ads, but those suckers were over $US2000 from memory. The Rossis would be much more obtainable.

We could probably buy them here as handguns.

I think I'd rather have a big revolver, easy to use. I would probably buy one if I had some lazy cash lying about. I suppose they would be handy for a horse mounted cowboy, nice and flat (but then again, so would a trapper length rifle). They would be ok in Alaska or Canada or the colder parts of the States, wandering about in deep snow

robertbank
03-29-2012, 11:46 AM
I may get one and put a regular butt stock on the gun. With the shorter barrel it would be the ultimate packing gun for Black Bear protection. Here in Canada they are regarded as rifles not handguns so we don't get involved with our stupid restrictions on handgun use.

Take Care

Bob

Four Fingers of Death
03-29-2012, 07:23 PM
They are a very viable option for Canada, bit of a novelty or toy for most folk elsewhere unless you mounted on a motorcycle, quad bike or horse doing farm/ranch work. They woudl tuck under the seat of atruck nicely I suppose.

Tazman1602
03-29-2012, 07:28 PM
ocelott

You need a taller front sight.

+1

Always wanted to try one of these out, I think they look really cool but I just don't want to spend the money for one.

*sigh* so many guns so little money..............

Art

robertbank
03-29-2012, 07:31 PM
They are a very viable option for Canada, bit of a novelty or toy for most folk elsewhere unless you mounted on a motorcycle, quad bike or horse doing farm/ranch work. They woudl tuck under the seat of atruck nicely I suppose.

Without a regular butt stock I have to think they are pretty much useless but I guess there is a use for everythingi you look hard enough.

Take Care

Bob

Four Fingers of Death
03-29-2012, 07:49 PM
Without a regular butt stock I have to think they are pretty much useless

I don't know about useless, but unnecessarily difficult to cycle, especially with a bit of sand/dirt/whatever in the action as would be very likely to be around on a working gun occasionally. With a shoulder stock, it would be a snack to cycle, even with gritty/reluctant ammo. But, with that stump, I don't know. But then again, lots of shooters break the cardinal rule for rifle shootin all the time, that is lowering the rifle from the shoulder to cycle the action.

I guess I was fortunate, as a teenager in the Aussie Army Cadets, I got a clip upside the head from a crusty Korean Vet if I lowered the butt to work the bolt. A few of them and you don't forget, lol. The fact of having the stock ancored to your shoulder would give you a lot more purchase on the gun and a lot more leverage.

I might just have to buy one to see if this argument is valid, lol, I have a pair of Rossis I could borrow a stock from.

45-70 Chevroner
03-29-2012, 07:51 PM
The gun shop I visited today has a few up on the wall, and I was hooked as soon as I handled it. Whether I "need" it or not isn't really worth debating, and is in fact one of the anti-gunners' planks anyway.
I think it'd be a fine gun for my vehicle emergency kit, more accurate and powerful than any of my pistols, yet more wieldy and even.... dare I say it... concealable than any of my rifles.

Besides, I'm a Firefly fan. :)

I'm picturing this in a short scabbard under a backpack, or a thigh holster if in circumstances where that's acceptable.

I read somewhere that some one was offering a thigh holster for the Mares Leg I just can't remember who. I think if you google it you'l find one.

garbear
03-29-2012, 08:27 PM
many folks out my way are buying for use on horse back. My friend sells them and said he can't keep them in. Other then that I am going to buy either a winchester or marlin in 357 to go with my pistol.
Garbear