PDA

View Full Version : The Day I Was JUMPED!

Jason30-30
01-18-2012, 11:57 PM
I love telling/hearing stories, & the other day i passed by the place where it all happened and wanted to share the story with you guys.

About 10 years ago I lived in Los Angeles, California. One afternoon I went out jogging and about 15 minutes into my run i stopped for a break. I was walking for a few minutes to catch my breath when out of nowhere 2 black males dropped me to the ground and took my wallet & my iPod ( they were *NEW* back then ) they did not hit me or say a word but i slamned to the concrete and it hurt my back.( I wasnt able to do a thing ) It happened within seconds and before i was even able to know what had happened the men took off. I Was FURIOS but in a way thankful nothing worst happened. I Finnaly got up and didnt even continue jogging just returned home. I didnt even bother reporting to the authorities as it was most likely just be ignored.

Well Gentlemen thats what happened since then I have moved out of L.A and now live in a more relaxed place.

imashooter2
01-19-2012, 12:57 AM
December 17th, 31 years ago I was pumping gas. At quitting time I was taking the pump readings when someone pushed me up against the pump and said "Don't turn around, we have a shotgun."

I figured it was my good friend the boss' son, so I turned around. There were two guys. One was a tall black man wearing a pork pie hat. The other had on a tan buckskin jacket and white hands holding a Mossberg shotgun with a hole in the end that (at the time) seemed 6 inches across. I don't know if that guy even had a head, but I could describe the shotgun to the cops in intimate detail.

The guys took the day's receipts out of my pocket and ran up the street where they carjacked a woman and were gone.

After the cops left, I told the boss (who, for the record, never mentioned the money and was all about my well being) that I'd finish the week for him, but I needed to get a job where I didn't carry anybody else's money. And that's just what I did. Someday I may get shot over money, but at least it's going to be my money.

Suo Gan
01-19-2012, 01:33 AM
I worked for a state run museum one time when I was just out of the military. The museum had one of the largest displays and collections of gold and platinum in the world. I think back then it was something like 20 million in raw gold, probably more like 200 million now. One of the back doors had to be unlocked for a fire escape and I would have to go back there at night and padlock it and set the various alarms AFTER it was locked. There was no armed guard and I was always paranoid when I had to go outside and lock that gate in the back.

Can you stand one more? When I was a kid dad had an old motorcycle we would take on trips. We saw some neat things, and had fun. Dad has always had a sixth sense much more developed than my own. Anyway we were stopped at an old mine that was filled with spring water and we were taking a cool drink from it. I still remember looking at the salamanders in the bottom and dad telling me that it was alright to drink it. But then he said "Someone is watching us" pretty matter of factly and he hunched down and I did the same. Seems like I asked who it was and where they were and he said that he did not know. Anyway we got back on that motorcycle and took off. Headed up the road back out of the canyon. I am not sure when the large doberman appeared. We were off the main road on a cattle trail drinking from the mine and I think he heard the bike and just started chasing us. Dad gunned the old motorcycle and the dog was actually gaining on us. I remember sitting behind dad and looking back a few feet at that dog. And all of a sudden the dog stopped and turned back. So naturally my old man being curious he turned around too! He followed the dog and it went into the chaparal and then a man about 35 with a scruffy long beard and just dirty as a bum came and stood in the road. I do not remember the conversation they had, I just remember looking at him and how dirty he was. Somehow he and dad began talking and he invited us over to his cabin for a visit. I know some of you think that California is the land of yuppies and plastic surgery, but let me shatter that myth for you. The mountains were full (and many places still are) of a bunch of ridgerunning hillbillies as any that walked Appalachia. Dad could make friends with anyone anywhere, and I am certain if we had not measured up we would have been out there still today feeding worms. One of that clan was later caught feeding folks to hogs. The deer hunting has dried up in that area and I have not been back there in years.

Lots of close calls in my life, but for some reason I never did have anything more than that..

cbrick
01-19-2012, 10:27 AM
About 25 years ago I had a very long day at work, it was about 3:00 AM while on the way home with the company truck I stopped for fuel. The street was empty and everything was quiet when a black guy walks up to me and says he has a gun and demands my wallet. Now I gotta tell ya, that's a mighty foolish thing to do to someone with an attutude and a running gas nozzle in his hand.

With the front of him soaked in gas he took off before I could get my Bic lighter out of my pocket. :sad:

Rick

Jim Flinchbaugh
01-19-2012, 06:46 PM
Since this turned into a story telling thread.
While I was attending college in Denver, wow-24 years ago, I worked in an auto parts store.
I had to make the night deposits, 2 blocks from the store and 4 blocks from home. I had a habit of walking to work, then the bank and then home. This was dead center in the mexican section of the city. One night, I'm on the way to the bank with a bag full of money, and 5 brownskins, started pitching snowballs my direction, speaking in Spanish, which I speak none. I gave the evil eye and keep on walking. Then they decide to cross the street and come my way. At about 150 feet, I unzip my coat and stick my hand inside. At this motion, they all did an about face and took off on a run. Now I don't know if they knew what was coming next or had experienced it before, but I am most glad it didn't go any further than that. Inside my coat -nestled in a shoulder holster- a 7-1/2 stainless Redhawk in 44 mag. I thank God everyday I didn't have to break the silence that night with that canon, especially since I was from Montana, and had no permit to carry in Denver http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/James64/Smilies/yikes.gif

mtnman31
01-19-2012, 11:58 PM
Around 1995, I was at my girlfriend's apartment in Newport Beach, CA. It was about 2am and we were in the living room talking. The lights were out and the room was dark. She was lying on the floor below me and I was laid out on the couch. The couch was set directly in front of a sliding glass door that led to the deck. It was on the second floor and only the neighbor or my girlfriend would have any reason to be up there. As we lay there talking a guy walked past the sliding glass door. My girlfriend immediately began freaking out, albeit in a hushed tone. So the guy walked past then turns back back to the door and casually slides the screen open and starts trying to pull open the glass slider. He pauses and puts his face to the glass and looks into the room. Keep in mind that I am lying directly below him and looking up at him from mere inches away. He is looking right over the top of me. I glanced around the room looking for something to "smash" him with in case he got in. I figured if he did get in and had a weapon it could get ugly. With his face pressed up against the glass I popped up into his face and slapped the glass where his face was. He calmly stepped back and said, "Sorry, man" and walked off. He must have been high or drunk because he didn't even flinch. Even the most accomplished burglar in the world would have at least jumped or startled when someone pops up face to face with them in the middle of the night. He just walked down the street and disappeared into the dark. Needless to say, neither of us got a fitful sleep that night.
BTW - I didn't have a gun with me and my pocket knife was left at my place. All I would have had to defend us would have been some weapons of opportunity, a lamp or vase. Lucky for all of us that he didn't get in.

Another one was when a friend, his wife and I stopped two guys from assaulting (or worse) two drunken girls in Barcelona, Spain. I was personally proud of the outcome of that event. That's another story for another day...

maxidiesel
01-21-2012, 01:02 AM
It looks as if the most recent crime is 10 years ago...so nobody has any recent stories?
I have none. Very interesting though...

missionary5155
01-21-2012, 06:51 AM
Good morning
Last time up north there (2 1/2 years ago) in Danville ,ILL. a pastor friend (Charlie) & I were walking out of a Pawn Shop (our favorite excursion points) . I came out first and opened the passenger door for him. He was rather slow that day (cancer) & as he was getting in a black feller about 35 approached rapidly from around the rear of my vehicle headed staight for Pastor Charlie´s back side. I saw it unfolding as I was facing that way speaking to Pst. C. Pastor C was far enough into the sitting position I could stick the edge of the door into the fellers face with my right hand. I next released the door and pulled my Gerber (large Easy Out) from my waistband and thumbed it open. Feller heard the snap looked at the Gerber coming up, reversed direction, stood straight up and said " I want no trouble" & left the way he came. 3rd time in my life I needed to pull a Gerber.
Mike in Peru

firefly1957
01-21-2012, 09:14 AM
Situation awareness is the key several times I have seen something that bothers me and I avoid the area so I never had to find out if my senses were correct. Then there are times that I have either displayed or reached for a weapon and that was enough to stop the person these included knife , Flashlight (five cell aluminum) and firearms.

One night I was walleye fishing on a nearby lake when a couple of drunks in a boat tried to board my boat with my two young kids sleeping in the cabin, They had just finished hassling two girls on the shore and headed my way asking for money or beer I told them I had neither and to go away. When one grabbed onto the side of my boat and started to get in he was looking down the barrel of my Ruger Security Six. I told him if he did not get back in his boat I was going to send him to HELL he must have believed it as he sobered up real quick and they left. I followed them a little way to make sure they bothered no one else and they ran their boat onshore in the dark were I left them.

Which leaves me pondering are drunks stupid or do stupid people tend to drink? Or is it just the stupid drunks that get noticed?

merlin101
01-22-2012, 01:59 AM
About 20 years ago my wife and I were on our way home from shopping when we stopped at a convinance store for something we forgot. I pulled in and parked my little K-car (remember those?) when a F250 pulled up and blocked me in, then a guy got out waveing a large butcher knife at me! At this point i started around the car trying to keep it between us, my wife had no idea what was going on and opened her door! I figered it was really a do or die moment so I drew down on him all I had was an old Iver Johnson .22 (TP22 I think?) he decided he should leave and I thought so too.
As soon as he was gone I got on the payphone and called the local police. You'd never believe it but this jerk drove to the police station and complained about me!
The cop that I talked to was cool looked at my gun and permit, the wife AND KIDS in the car and asked me to follow him. Turned out the other guy fessed up and said he had a "bad day" but it WAS MY FAULT CAUSE I PULLED OUT IN FRONT OF HIM ..2 MILES BACK!! The LEO's explained just how bad his day could've gotten.

It's unbelievable just how stupid and unthinking some people are

ghh3rd
01-22-2012, 12:11 PM
I worked at a large bank, in the original old building downtown. One project I worked on required me to go to the main vault in the basement and see how they processed food stamps receivd from stores (they used paper food stamps then).

I had to go through the teller line to get to the elevator to get to the basement, then a short walk down a damp cold hall to a steel door with a big bullet proof window. I could see stacks of money on severlal stainless steel tables.

I knocked, but finally had to beat my knife against the door before they heard me. I was wearing dress clothes and a tie, and when someone looked up, they buzzed me in. So simple to get in! Soon after that, a shipment (they said it was a small one) of cash came in and they stacked it on one table. It was in canvas sacks, and I climbed on top and sat on it, and asked how much it was -- $6 million! It made me pretty nervous that anyone who could get to that door could just knock and get buzzed in.

Worse was that later I followed the hallway past that door, past another door with two very old gaurds napping in front of some monitors, and about perhaps 75 yards later to an opening to the parking garage for the public!

Holy cow - I didn't want to go back there, and when I did I was looking for places to hide in case someone came in shooting.

wildphilhickup
01-22-2012, 12:31 PM
KL, "Kalua Lampur" Malaysia, May of 2007 - It is 12am and I am walking back from China Town to my hotel near the Twin Towers. I cross a major 4 lane street, and come upon a dirty white guy, butt naked, long hair, talking crazy. I ignore him, but notice two young Malaysians following me. I continue on, crossing a few other streets, keeping an eye on them, and they are still following me. For some reason I sense something behind me, I quickly stop and turn around. One of those guys is right there, I think I startled because I stopped. He looked as surprised as me. My instant reaction was to swing my right hand as hard as I could, with a closed fist, at his face. I caught him dead on right at the bridge of his nose. He DROPPED like a ROCK! He hits the ground and starts convulsing, body quivering and mouth drooling - gagging. I take off. I see the other guy run down an alley. As I cut across the same alley to get out to another major street, I see the guy down at the end of the alley. He is running too, but away from me. He stops and turns, yells "F U GI" as he gives the finger and takes off. As I return to the hotel, I am feeling a sharp pain in my right hand. I can see the bone of my ring finger sticking out through the skin. I doctored the finger myself and never said anything to anyone until I got back to the states. I do not know if that guy I hit lived or died. Better him than me!

01-22-2012, 12:54 PM
firefly1957
Some stupid folks are drunks. Some drunks are stupid. Rest assured that smart thugs frequently take a dash of beer/alcohol to give the odor of intoxication and and then go act out the drunk cover all the while in full control of their senses. How easy to end a confrontation with, "Sorrrrrry, man. I thought dis was Betty's house." hiccup, burp, drool. They either make an unremarkable retreat or get close enough to ply their trade on the less than astute victim.

FISH4BUGS
01-22-2012, 06:26 PM
I had gone back to college and worked part time (this is the early 70's) collecting rents. I carried a 3" Square butt S&W Model 36. I collected the rents for a slum lord, and some of these places were nice, and believe me when I tell you some of these places weren't nice....no wonder he paid me $150 a week for about 15 hours of work - in 1971.....all cash.....
One guy was behind in rent by three months and the owner said "get him out" I went there and told the guy that "Mr. Smith" said he had to go. He told me he had some money in the kitchen and went to get it.
Something told me this wasn't right and I drew my 36 and held it behiond me as he went to the kitchen. When he came back he had a BIG butcher knife and I instantly drew down on him and told him he had 15 minutes to get out and I would be back with the police to make sure he was gone. I backed out of the doorway and down the stairs.
I went to the police to report this and the officer said "...why didn't you shoot him? You would have been doing us all a favor". Apparently this guy was a "frequent Flyer" with the police.
Interesting thing - I wasn't the least bit afraid. I knew that I would shoot him if I had to, and that I would walk away alive.
THAT is why we carry.
....and THAT is why I never want to be a landlord.