PDA

View Full Version : S&W M&P Slide Dropping Issue

wtfooptimax200
01-18-2012, 06:47 PM
My M&P 9L has had a tendency to drop the slide when I insert a mag a bit too firmly (such as during rushed IDPA reloads). Does this mean that my recoil spring is not putting enough pressure on the slide to keep it locked during the force of a reload? This is not consistent all of the time, but during approximately 10% of my reloads.

Thanks,
Branden

thegreatdane
01-18-2012, 07:11 PM
isn't that a good thing during a speed-based competition like IDPA?

Bullwolf
01-18-2012, 11:45 PM
I would suggest taking a look at the slide lock nub, where it protrudes into the magazine well. See just how much of it is sticking out, along with it's shape.

Is it possible that it is sticking out too far, and a loaded magazine is bumping the nub and thereby disengaging the slide lock?

I have noticed that on some of my CZ pistols, I have difficulty inserting a loaded magazine with the old style slide lock pin nub, and not with the newer design that was intended to alleviate the problem.

You should be able to verify if this is happening by inserting a loaded magazine full of dummy rounds. Pay attention to just how the loaded mag is interacting with the slide locking open portion of the pistols slide stop pin.

- Bullwolf

wtfooptimax200
01-19-2012, 08:46 PM
isn't that a good thing during a speed-based competition like IDPA?

Yes it actually works well, I just don't like when my guns do something that they shouldn't.