PDA

View Full Version : Lee Pot by any other name

Sasquatch-1
01-18-2012, 05:40 PM
I was looking at melting pots on line just to see what the prices were like. I ran across a company called Wenesco. looking at their pots I was amazed the were selling Lee pots with their name on them and easily doubling the price. Maybe if I pay more for the pot with a different name on it the pot will work better.:bigsmyl2:
Here is the ulr if you want to see what I am talking about:

http://www.wenesco.com/melt.htm

Model
Solder capacity
Pot ID inches
Pot OD inches
Clearance under pot
Volts
Watts
Price

P19 = Lee 4 lb top dipper
4 lb
3 dia x 2d
5 dia x 4d
N/A
120*
$150

MPM 10 = Lee 10lb production pot where the plug rod lays on the back
10 lb
3 dia x 4d
4 dia x 4d
41/2 inches
120*
$230

MPM 20 = Lee 20lb bottom pour
20 lb
4 dia x 3.75d
5 dia x 4.25d
41/2 inches
120*
$290

MPM 21 20 lb = Lee 20bl top dipper
4 dia x 3.75d 5 dia x 4.25d 21/2 inches
120* 700
$250

*add 10% to price for 240 volt operation.

Love Life
01-18-2012, 05:56 PM
I'd say that is more than doubling the price.

hk33ka1
01-18-2012, 07:31 PM
Someone should email them and Lee and ask if they make Lees pots or Lee makes theirs.

Freightman
01-18-2012, 07:32 PM
Think I will just keep my $65 LEE 20# for that money I will buy RCBS Thank you.

Pigslayer
01-18-2012, 08:14 PM
Yea, they show up a lot on Ebay. I've e-mailed ebay about the scam but no help.

Sasquatch-1
01-18-2012, 11:39 PM
Yea, they show up a lot on Ebay. I've e-mailed ebay about the scam but no help.

I don't think it's a scam. This is actually a company web site and has some furnaces that look like they are for smelting aluminum or something with even a higher melt temp. I just think they are taking advantage of people who don't shop around.

DODGEM250
01-19-2012, 09:10 AM
Do you honestly think LEE makes these things ? NO, the factory (Chinese / Japanese / Taiwan/Etc.) makes them and LEE pays them to put the LEE name on them. Just because you are familiar with a product with a particular name on it, do not assume it is a product of that "company".

I will agree that some other company may be buying these pots and putting their name on them too. Heck, Cast Boolits could have their name on them as well.

Take Deer urine lures for example. The stuff all comes from Deer Farms, but, the commercial companies print their own labels, so, you think it's different than the next, when the only difference is the printing and advertising. I buy my Hot Doe / Doe In Heat / Etc urine in a 32 ounce bottle direct from a Deer farm in New York (http://www.tingleysnorthland.com/urines/). When everyone else goes to the store and buys a 1 ounce bottle for $5 to $15.00 an ounce, my unmarked 32 ounce bottle only costs me $38.95 ( about a $1.22 / oz. )

I bought 24 of this companies 1 ounce squeeze bottles, had some nice labels made up, filled the 1 ounce bottles from the 32 bottle, slapped my sticker on them advertising me CB Radio shop, and gave them out to my Deer hunting customers for Christmas gifts.

The point of all this is, just because it looks like something you are familiar with it, it is not always a scam or clone...

Don't even get me started on CB Radio circuit boards... LOL

mktacop
01-19-2012, 10:20 AM
Wow! Talk about over-priced....even with buying the parts and building a PID for my Lee 4-20 I didn't spend anywhere near that much.

Sasquatch-1
01-19-2012, 11:44 AM
Do you honestly think LEE makes these things ? NO, the factory (Chinese / Japanese / Taiwan/Etc.) makes them and LEE pays them to put the LEE name on them. Just because you are familiar with a product with a particular name on it, do not assume it is a product of that "company".

That was the point of the first post. These appear to be the exact same pots that Lee is selling for less then half the price. The part about the company is that they are selling the same pot under their name and that it is not an ebay scam. They are just taking advantage of people.

jimkim
01-19-2012, 12:49 PM
Have y'all noticed the Lyman Big Dipper furnace? I've been wondering who makes it?
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/816131/lyman-big-dipper-furnace-110-volt

Roundnoser
01-19-2012, 01:15 PM
"Buyer Beware" right?!

Reload3006
01-19-2012, 01:22 PM
Caveat emptor......Buyer beware ..... A fool and his money soon part company. Research then buy.

Hardcast416taylor
01-20-2012, 01:52 PM
Probably like an auto plant building Chevy and GMC pickups. The only difference between them is the name plate and different sticker price sheet.Robert

snuffy
01-20-2012, 03:53 PM
Ha-ha-ha, snicker, I just bookmarked this thread. The next time someone bad-mouths lee, I'll send them here, so they can feel they paid more, therefore it's better!

Re-labeling someone elses item is SOP for some companies. Look at canned food in the sooper market, delmonte or libbys 20% more than the store brand, the same can and food inside, different label. Or the exact same drug in a wll-mart bottle at 1000% increase in price bottle right next to it.

Recluse
01-20-2012, 04:58 PM
Ha-ha-ha, snicker, I just bookmarked this thread. The next time someone bad-mouths lee, I'll send them here, so they can feel they paid more, therefore it's better!

Re-labeling someone elses item is SOP for some companies. Look at canned food in the sooper market, delmonte or libbys 20% more than the store brand, the same can and food inside, different label. Or the exact same drug in a wll-mart bottle at 1000% increase in price bottle right next to it.

Yes and no.

Having spent twenty plus years dealing with brands, we always told the company/manufacturer/retailer "When the product bears YOUR name on it, doesn't matter who made it. YOU'RE responsible and it's YOUR reputation on the line."

Additionally, do not ever confuse generics--especially OTC drugs like aspirin, tylenol, advil, cold/sinus stuff, etc--with the branded merchandise. The law only requires that the ACTIVE ingredient have the same efficacy as the branded/original drug.

Unbeknownst to most folks, such drugs use "carriers" to transport the active drug ingredients/molecules/etc to the affected areas/parts of the body. The efficacy of the generic drugs may or may not be AS effective as those used in the branded drugs--which is often why there is a significant price discrepancy.

In a majority of instances, there is little noticeable difference, but it is not unusual at all for doctors to write "DAW" (Dispense As Written) on their prescriptions so as to inform the pharmacist that their patient needs the brand name drug, and not a generic. With the DAW on the script, the insurance companies are obligated to cover the cost of the drug, although they CAN and DO charge a higher co-pay.

Often times generic anythings can be a great deal, but just as often, "you get what you pay for."

That old adage works both ways. :wink:

:coffee:

Mephisto
01-21-2012, 03:21 PM
Have y'all noticed the Lyman Big Dipper furnace? I've been wondering who makes it?
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/816131/lyman-big-dipper-furnace-110-volt

label on back says made in china. slow heater too.

Hamish
01-21-2012, 03:52 PM
Looking at the Wenesco site it all suddenly made sense when I saw that they are in Chicago

markinalpine
01-21-2012, 06:09 PM

From the Lee Web Site: "We are thankful to say Lee Precision products are cast, machined and assembled in the USA."
http://leeprecision.com/

Mark :coffeecom

mrbillbus
01-24-2012, 01:54 PM
Take Deer urine lures for example. The stuff all comes from Deer Farms, but, the commercial companies print their own labels, so, you think it's different than the next, when the only difference is the printing and advertising. I buy my Hot Doe / Doe In Heat / Etc urine in a 32 ounce bottle direct from a Deer farm in New York (http://www.tingleysnorthland.com/urines/). When everyone else goes to the store and buys a 1 ounce bottle for $5 to $15.00 an ounce, my unmarked 32 ounce bottle only costs me $38.95 ( about a $1.22 / oz. )

I'm not sure I understand your post. Are you saying that tingley's is the only source for deer urine or that all bottled urine comes from farms like tingley's?

thehouseproduct
01-24-2012, 03:30 PM

I will agree that some other company may be buying these pots and putting their name on them too. Heck, Cast Boolits could have their name on them as well.

I bought 24 of this companies 1 ounce squeeze bottles, had some nice labels made up, filled the 1 ounce bottles from the 32 bottle, slapped my sticker on them advertising me CB Radio shop, and gave them out to my Deer hunting customers for Christmas gifts.

The point of all this is, just because it looks like something you are familiar with it, it is not always a scam or clone...

Don't even get me started on CB Radio circuit boards... LOL
All of it quite true except for the China part. By law if the pots are made in China, they must be marked so. I wouldn't expect reloading equipment companies to make things in house like melting pots, scales, plastic parts, etc. Those items require tools far removed from the standard tool and die machines that the companies were founded on.

geargnasher
01-24-2012, 04:15 PM
Perhaps Lee buys Chinese parts in bulk and assembles them in the USA. There's some grey area around something "assembled in USA from domestic and 'Global Resource' parts" and something truly made here.

Gear

DODGEM250
01-24-2012, 04:35 PM
I'm not sure I understand your post. Are you saying that tingley's is the only source for deer urine or that all bottled urine comes from farms like tingley's?

No, No. I simply use Tingley's as an example. There's a million deer farms in this country.

DODGEM250
01-24-2012, 04:37 PM
From the Lee Web Site: "We are thankful to say Lee Precision products are cast, machined and assembled in the USA."
http://leeprecision.com/

Mark :coffeecom

Looks like Lee went out of business from this link (they must be swapping labels):

http://leeprecision.com/skin/common_files/images/LeeLogo.jpg

http://leeprecision.com/skin/common_files/images/lock.jpg
The Lee Precision shopping cart is closed

We are temporarily closed for server maintenance, sorry for the inconvenience.
For support related issues, please visit www.leeprecision.net/support (http://www.leeprecision.net/support/index.php?/Knowledgebase/List)
For product and service part ordering, please visit our online dealers (http://leeprecision.net/support/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/377/3/online-lee-distributors) or online speciality dealers (http://leeprecision.net/support/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/431/9/online-specialty-lee-dealers)

DODGEM250
01-24-2012, 04:39 PM
Perhaps Lee buys Chinese parts in bulk and assembles them in the USA. There's some grey area around something "assembled in USA from domestic and 'Global Resource' parts" and something truly made here.

Gear

Thank you. Glad someone else understands it.

stubshaft
01-24-2012, 05:26 PM
I wonder if it drips?

UNIQUEDOT
01-24-2012, 06:45 PM
Although it must come as a surprise to some folks Lee's pots are made in the USA of DOMESTIC parts. It's true that rcbs imports some things from China and Lyman has taken it a step further by basically copying a Lee pot and having it made in China, but Lee's pot is all American. Wenesco's pots are Lee pots, but if the responders to this post would have taken the time to read about them they would have known why they were so much more expensive and it would have stopped yet another attempt at internet rumoring.

Sasquatch-1
01-24-2012, 07:23 PM

Gear

I believe that 80% of the parts have to be made in the U. S. and assembled in the U. S. to where made in the USA.

thehouseproduct
01-25-2012, 09:10 PM

Gear
Even then the parts would have to be marked. I spent the last 6 years as an engineer at Oakley coordinating assembly of a mix of foreign and domestic parts. The cloth bags and cases are marked "Made in China" despite that 80% of the product's value is added in the USA allowing Oakley to mark the glasses, "Made in USA". Despite what we normally see, Lee just makes cheap stuff in the US.