PDA

View Full Version : 700 gr. .500S&W bullets

3sixbits
03-08-2007, 12:39 PM
Anybody casting and shooting these big dog bullets from the Smith&Wesson revolver? I would like some feed back before I have a mold cut. Also if in use, are you using them plain base or GC? Looking forward to some insight folks!

Porterhouse
03-08-2007, 07:30 PM
First, if you are thinking Mountainmolds to cut the mold, I don’t think they can do it now because they have made some change with the program. Currently, upper 600 grain is maximum for 500, I believe.
Second, I have tried Ranger Rick’s 700gr. I pushed them up to 1200fps out of my 6.5 PC 500 but 1000~1100fps was lot more manageable. I also got good accuracy up to 100yds, but at longer range, like 200 or 300yds, they went all over and I’m limiting to shoot those bullets within 100yds. If you are looking for shot range blaster, those monsters are awesome. I am anxious to try up coming special 500 with 1-10” twist barrel which suppose to stabilize those long, big bullet at longer range.
Hope this help,

3sixbits
03-08-2007, 08:37 PM
It does help, and thanks for the reply! No I was just going to have it done with a form tool cut into a Magma mold blank, I have for this purpose. I was in hopes this type of bullet would appeal to the locale folks wanting a better protection load for up close and personnel during the up and coming fishing season. A friend from Fairbanks told me last night about a problem moose he had to dispatch in his yard with his .500 S&W. I had been thinking along the Garret Hammerhead bullet line for sometime (unavailable in .500). I do know that LBT list one up to 700 grain in the .50 caliber (big meplat). Seeing as how all of the protection issues are under 100 yards, I felt like this would be a natural.

3sixbits
03-08-2007, 09:37 PM
http://www.john-ross.net/500data.htm I found this information also on a web search for any that might have a similar interest in this data. John Ross used bullets to 725 grains with vary large meplats for some of his tests.

BigSlick
03-08-2007, 10:45 PM
I've fired a few of the 700's from Ranger Rick. About the same result as Porterhouse. After about 120 yds they get a little wild out of my 8 3/8" They are a hoot to shoot for certain.

I have found the 600's, and my own 460 WFN's to be very, very good.

You really think you might run into something a 440/460 or 600/610 won't take down in short order ? They hit like a freight train.
________
Target Gift Cards (http://bestfreegiftcard.com/target-gift-cards/)

lar45
03-09-2007, 02:29 AM
http://www.lsstuff.com/ranger-rick/
Here's a link to Ranger Rick's cast bullets, he has several big 500 S&W bullets.

3sixbits
03-09-2007, 10:51 PM
lar45: thank you for that link, I went ahead and bought through his auction site the 700 grain WNFPGC's. They seem to fit the perimeters put out on John Ross's web page. I'll give them a try before I cut the blocks to see if they are everything they are said to be. Thanks for the help folks, you guys are GREAT! I have not ran this through the Greenhill formula yet to see what twist is best for the longer bullets as I do not know the length yet, the cal and the velo are known. So if you have any left overs Porterhouse, you can know for sure what twist would be correct for this long bullet.