PDA

View Full Version : Universal Lee FCD

jimkim
01-18-2012, 11:50 AM
I'm cheap, I'll admit it. What I'm wondering is, will the crimping sleeve from a 44 or 38 cal Lee FCD fit a 45 acp Lee FCD? The crimp sleeves are $3.00. I might buy the whole set and just use the same body. The carbide insert is $1.00 if you want to make you're own carbide sizing die, but you'll need a die body and a way to accurately bore or ream the hole.

http://leeprecision.com/xcart/CRBIDE-FAC-CMP-DI-38-357-PARTS/

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-18-2012, 12:08 PM
I can't answer your question.
But I will mention, I don't like to use the
"Pistol" style FCD with the carbide insert for loading castboolits.

I really like the "Rifle" style FCD
Ranch Dog has them in most revolver calibers.
I have bought all the sizes he had.
http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=53_54
He had one in 41 Mag as well...he must be sold out of them.
Jon

PS, I know this doesn't help the $$$ issue you are asking about :(
Infact, all I'm doing is recomending the purchase of a custom made
die that cost more the standard "Pistol" style FCD...Sorry.

milprileb
01-18-2012, 12:33 PM
Sir,

Why not call tech rep at Lee and ask that. My guess is the die body is the same and your sleeve approach has merit.

Lee fields a lot of questions by me so I know they will take the call and tell you the skinny.

I find them very customer oriented, as much as Dillon,RCBS and Hornady who also get my calls and business.

jimkim
01-18-2012, 01:08 PM
Ok, I will ask them.

The reason I threw it out there wasn't just to find out, if it fit, but I figured someone else may have tried it already. I want to know, how well it worked as well. I saw, on one forum, where a man said he knocked the carbide ring out of his FCD. That's what gave me the idea. Just use an oversized die that doesn't size the cases.

milprileb
01-18-2012, 02:01 PM
Lots of Lee parts interchange. No so with other makers but it appears Lee uses the same die bodies and screw pitch for things. I just read the powder thru die body can be adapted to be a crimp die... cannot confirm that for you but your call to Lee will solve the mystery and give you
some flexibility with your tools.

Might save a few bucks .. yeah, but in my opinion, your curiosity is that of a thinking man wanting to maximize his tools. A good thing in my opinion.

fredj338
01-19-2012, 04:32 PM
Why bother? The LFCD for handgun rds just isn't needed & in many case, not even desireable. I won't use them becuase my tests show they do NOT help accuracy & reliable ammo can be easily mase w/o them, so again, why? This group was repeated twice @ 50ft. Enough proof for me.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/fredj338/200PTC.jpg

jimkim
01-19-2012, 05:14 PM
I made the original inquiry. I didn't say "you have to do this" or " you will do this". Some of us do things differently than others, just because we do what works for us. That's not a bad group and I'm sure you have done(and will do) better, but it really isn't relevant to the question that was asked.

milprileb
01-19-2012, 05:20 PM
Fredj338,

How do you take flare out of the cases ? I always flare a case for cast bullets and use the crimp die to take the flare out. Minimum amount of crimp.

Also is 50 ft (16 yds) some gold standard for accuracy? I always use 25 yds and 50 yds. Just curious.