PDA

View Full Version : On theme of book, what are the best movies you've seen

Ivantherussian03
03-08-2007, 04:13 AM
These are movies I have enjoyed, some since childhood, others as I grew older. There nothing better then sitting back and enjoy an old movie.:drinks:

Movies
Best War Movies
Kelly's Heros
Platoon
the Dirty Dozen
Braveheart
The Desert Fox
Stalag 17
Enemy at the gates

Best Odd movie

The manchurian canidates (the original)
Eiger Sanction

Any spaggetti western
Thhe Good , the bad, and Ugly
hang em high
For a Few Dollars More
A Fist Full of Dollars
A mule for Sister Sarah

John Wayne
She Wore a yellow Ribbon
Fort Apache

fourarmed
03-08-2007, 11:40 AM
When I teach the NRA Basic Pistol course, I always take a tape of "Tremors" and play the sequence where Burt Gummer hands Melvin-the-punk-kid a stainless Ruger .44 to get him to run to the safety of the "residual boulders." When they get there, Melvin says "Burt, you a--hole, there's no bullets in this gun." Burt takes if from him, says "I wouldn't give you a loaded gun if it was WWIII." Then he flips open the cylinder and checks it before he stuffs it in his belt. I emphasize that Burt knew the gun was empty when he handed it over, he was told it was empty when he got it back, but HE STILL CHECKED IT.

MT Gianni
03-08-2007, 12:28 PM
Yea, Ya gotta love Burt and his household chemicals. Gianni

monadnock#5
03-08-2007, 12:29 PM
Under war movies: Hamburger Hill and Run Silent, Run Deep.

For John Wayne: The Searchers, It's up there with Old Yeller for saddest movie ending.

Ken

dragonrider
03-08-2007, 07:04 PM
"A mule for Sister Sarah"
That would be "Two mules for sister Sarah" an excellent movie.
Have always liked "The Enemy Below"

nighthunter
03-08-2007, 07:13 PM
Purple Hearts with Ken Wahl and Cheryl Ladd.
Nighthunter

fatnhappy
03-08-2007, 07:50 PM
Geez, what's with all the war flicks?
The one movie I can watch day in and day out ....

Monty Python's The Holy Grail

and close second is Blazing Saddles.

waksupi
03-08-2007, 09:26 PM
Little Big Man
Red River
Outlaw Josey Wales
Tombstone
The Patriot
The Quiet Man

sundog
03-08-2007, 09:45 PM
+1 for Enemy at the Gate

Where Eagles Dare

Cast a Giant Shadow

BD
03-08-2007, 09:52 PM
The two movies I've watched the most times are both comedies: "The God's Must be Crazy", and "Dr. Strangelove" BD

Phil
03-08-2007, 10:50 PM
The Gods Must be Crazy (haven't seen that one in years)
Dr Strangelove
Young Frankenstein
Blazing Saddles
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Army of Darkness
any Marx brothers movie
any WC Fields movie
Sands of Iwo Jima
any Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes movie
Test Pilot
Objective Burma
Heartbreak Ridge (I think thats it, Clint Eastwood a few years ago)

and the list goes on.

Cheers,

Phil

MT Gianni
03-08-2007, 10:53 PM
Funny= My cousin Vinnie
O' Brother where art thou
It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad world

Unexpected endings/ plot twists
Ice Station Zebra
The Usual Suspects

Fight em up
The Little Big Man
The Good the Bad and The Ugly
Rio Bravo

Misc: What's up Doc?
The Ghost and Mr Chicken
The Hunt for Red Oktober
Shendoah

I also admit to watching the Blues Brothers every time It is close to Cam Calloway warming up for the band. And How could I forget Where Eagles Dare, we used to think if we had a quarter for every shot Clint fired we would never have to work.
Gianni.

Bad Ass Wallace
03-08-2007, 10:59 PM
War:
"Zulu"

Comedy:
"Secondhand Lions"

Nature:
"The Ghost & the Darkness"

Western;
"The Shootist"
"Quigley Down Under"

NVcurmudgeon
03-09-2007, 04:39 AM
I've been out of town for a cuple of days, and you guys already named many of my favorite movies. So I will only add to your list.

War: Torah, Torah, Torah
Midway
Rough Riders (the long one with Tom Beringer and Sam Elliot
The Blue Max
Das Boot

Comedy: Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines
The Princess Bride

Shepherd2
03-09-2007, 08:59 AM
Ditto Bad Ass Wallace's list. We must have identical tastes in movies.

"Secondhand Lions" is a huge favorite with me. SWMBO told me to get a backup DVD copy because I'm going to wear out the VHS.

scrapcan
03-09-2007, 03:52 PM
Second hand lions is high on my list also. Bad Ass Wallace has many on his list that I like also.

One that has been missed is John Wayne's The Cowboys. truely a good movie in my book.

bglz42
03-10-2007, 08:21 AM
I always thought "The Outlaw Josey Wales" was the greatest Western ever made....

Until I watched "Open Range".

Kraschenbirn
03-10-2007, 06:20 PM
Westerns: The Professionals
Rio Bravo

War: Gettysburg
Battle of Britain

Comedy: Those Magnificant Men in Their Flying Machines
Men in Black

Sci-Fi (serious): 2001: A Space Oddessy
The Andromeda Strain

Sci-Fi (fantasy) Star Wars: Return of the Jedi
War of the Worlds (1953 production)

SharpsShooter
03-10-2007, 07:57 PM
War;

Saving Private Ryan
Band of Brothers
Gettysburg
The Enemy Below
Gods & Generals

Westerns;

Rio Bravo
Pale Rider
Open Range
Lonesome Dove
Tombstone

SS

wildkatt
03-10-2007, 08:50 PM
The movie was an accurate portrayal of a book originally published as "Gone to Texas" written by Forrest Carter. If Josey Wales held the beliefs of the author, then the author believed in family, loyalty to friends and cause, bravery, the dispach of low life, protecting females, honesty, fair treatment of the old, fair treatment of Natively Americans and being able to defend oneself and the weak with a gun is necessary.

During the early 1960s in Alabama there was a young man who gained much notariey as a rabble rouser. The newspapers protrayed him as real scum. His name was Asa Carter. After the race trouble ended in Alabama, Asa Carter sort of disappeared.

When Forrest Carter died in Texas about 15 years ago, family found that Forrest Carter and Asa Carter were one and the same. Forrest Carter was also the author of "The Education of Little Tree", a very touching book. Something does not match up here.

Most people who have seen the movies "... Josey Wales and the Education..." do not believe this until they do a search on their computer on Forrest Carter. Read the "Education of Little Tree" to appreciate this story more.

trooperdan
03-10-2007, 11:42 PM
Big +1 on The Gods Must Be Crazy but my favorite is (and ( cannot beliive no one has mentioned it yet!) is The Wind and the Lion. An excellent protrayal of honor and moral standards on both sides of a conflict. Sean Connery as an arab chieftain and Brian Donleavy as President Roosevelt. And who can forget the scene of the Marines double-timing through town to take the palace, complete with the brass band!

Phil
03-11-2007, 12:38 AM
Yes, I forgot all about that one! Great movie!

Cheers,

Phil

Dale53
03-11-2007, 01:05 AM
I am rather strongly opinionated on movies. For example, I rather think that the best movies have already been made:mrgreen:.

The best movies of all time have a tie:
"Gone With the Wind and "Dr. Zhivago".

The best children's movie has to be "The Wizard of Oz".

My favorite "Western" is "Quigley, Down Under" (note that "Western" is in quotations before you remind me that it takes place in Australia...)

Most recent movies leave me cold, VERY COLD.

Dale53

Bullshop
03-11-2007, 01:31 AM
Dale53
Igotta tell ya my all time favorite is the wizzard of oz, so guess that makes me a kid, cool.
I sure like Quiggly too but long before him I fell in love with the Sharps in the hands of Bob Valdez (Burt Lancaster) in Valdez is comming.
Nother one that tickled my attraction for the sharps was Legends of the fall.
There sure has been lots a good westerns but those stand out for me in connection with that one rifle that to me is what comes to mind when I think old west. Not so much cowboys and indians but for me it was the hunters n trappers.
BIC/BS

Junior1942
03-11-2007, 06:38 AM
Here's another vote for "Enemy at the Gate." The recently made "The Departed" is also an outstanding movie. It's Jack Nickolson at his best.

Ivantherussian03
03-11-2007, 07:06 AM
oh, I forgot, Never Cry Wolf is an awesome movie:-)

Bad Ass Wallace
03-11-2007, 07:35 AM
My favorite "Western" is "Quigley, Down Under" (note that "Western" is in quotations before you remind me that it takes place in Australia...)
More correctly; the movie scenes takes place in WESTERN AUSTRALIA:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

MT Gianni
03-11-2007, 04:23 PM
More correctly; the movie scenes takes place in WESTERN AUSTRALIA:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Wallace, That reminds me of the map my sister brought back from Perth in the late 70's. It showed every dot that you might find a bar at in the west and the entire eastern part of the country was listed as "Largely Unexplored". Gianni.

onceabull
03-11-2007, 04:55 PM
Got to put in a word for "Out of Africa",if only because every time I finish watching,I take up my Orig.Oberndorf Mauser sporter ,303 Br.,find a fine stand in the back yard,and waitabit. Takes a few minutes,but then one can almost smell KENYA !!! about a close as this old guy will ever get,anyway...:-D Onceabull"

Bad Ass Wallace
03-11-2007, 11:09 PM
eastern part of the country was listed as "Largely Unexplored". Gianni.
A bit of geography about West Aus

With Perth as the State capital, many of the names of the towns down south of Perth finish with "UP", while those up from Perth finish with "DOWNS". So if talking about Tambulup and Ongerup are down and Bonny Downs and Wallal Downs are up!:confused: :confused:

Buckshot
03-12-2007, 04:59 AM
....................My all time favorite movie over all others is "The Quiet Man". Every actor in the film is a true gem, and it's a great story well told.

Some movies I have to watch (or re-watch) every so often are:

"Bite the Bullet" with Gene Hackman, Ben Johnson, and Candice Bergan

"Master and Commander"

"Brotherhood of the Ring"

"Star Wars"

"Band of Brothers"

"Saving Private Ryan" the beginning and ending are SO powerfull with the old man in the cemetary.

"Wind and The Lion" and gotta re-wind and re-watch the march to the Pasha's palace a couple times, to the great annoyance of my wife. "You are a thoroughly dangerous man," says the Pasha as Steve Kanaly comes to attention and rips off a vacumn sucking salute.

Of course most of the John Ford/John Wayne westerns: Ft Apache, She wore a Yellow Ribbon. The Searchers...............

Then you have "The Wild Bunch", "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" (who ARE those guys!?, "The Culpeper Cattle Company", "Lonesome Dove".

One very under rated western I think is "Will Penny" with Charleton Heston.

..................Buckshot

HORNET
03-13-2007, 12:15 PM
No mention of " The Magnificent Seven", "The Villian", or (my personal favorite) "Evil Roy Slade"?? How depressing....:roll:

scrapcan
03-13-2007, 12:53 PM
Hornet,

Nothing depressing about it, you brought it up and that will kick the rest of us to remember. This thread and the thread on books have kicked me to drag out some of the books and movies and read or watch something good. Instead of the trash sitcoms.

Here are a couple more to add to the list

My wife likes JAWS, I bet we have seen that movie more than anything else.

Paint Your Wagon

The Grey Fox (Richard Farnsworth)

RugerFan
03-13-2007, 03:58 PM
One of my all time favorites is "Last Of The Mohicans."

Awesome scenery and some neat period weapons.

Ivantherussian03
03-13-2007, 09:03 PM
Master and Commander
Last of the Mohicans

Are both good

Saving Private Ryan well-- let just say it gave me night mares for a month or so. PTS I think. NOT FUN--Very Scary:???:

have not watched it ever again.

Patrick L
03-13-2007, 09:38 PM
Already mentioned were Dr. Strangelove, The Quiet Man, Josey Wales, Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, and the Gods Must be Crazy.

I enjoyed both Tombstone and Wyatt Earp, but I think some will disagree.

I thought A Bridge Too Far was good, and a fairly accurate depiction of Operation Market Garden.

A few more obscure ones are :

Strategic Air Command with Jimmy Stewart ( a propaganda film for sure, but great footage (Technicolor perhaps?) of B36's and B47's; were the skies in the 50s really that blue?)

Operation Thunderbolt (that's the English title,) an Isreali production about the Entebbe raid. Klaus Kinski played the leader of the hijackers.

And for a holiday classic, White Christmas tops my list. The original Miracle on 34th Street is a close second, and I enjoy any good version of A Christmas Carol. I kind of like the musical version "Scrooge" from the early 70s with Albert Finney.

pumpguy
03-13-2007, 11:33 PM
I gotta go with Saving Private Ryan for a war movie, Braveheart for, well I guess another war movie, and Men in Black and Caddyshack for comedies.

dnepr
03-16-2007, 08:33 AM
the only movie That I thought was great and hasn't been mentioned was worlds fastest Indian. Being a motorcycle nut myself I thought that most others wouldn't really enjoy this movie but I have been told by people without any interest in motorcycles that it was excellent. I guess it is hard to go wrong with Anthony Hopkins.

ron brooks
03-16-2007, 09:04 AM
The Wind and the Lion. An excellent protrayal of honor and moral standards on both sides of a conflict. Sean Connery as an arab chieftain and Brian Donleavy as President Roosevelt. And who can forget the scene of the Marines double-timing through town to take the palace, complete with the brass band!

Brian Keith played Teddy Roosevelt.

Ivantherussian03
03-17-2007, 01:00 AM
has anyone mentioned "The Last Samuri" ? Pretty good film, I am not a Tom Cruise fan but i liked it.

Bret4207
03-17-2007, 10:03 AM
I've been reading Rudyard Kipling of late. I love "Capatains Courageous" although the movie was nothing like the book, both are good. You can learn a lot from guys like Kipling, Mark Twain and Jules Verne.

UweJ
03-17-2007, 05:06 PM
I like Mel Gibson in"The Patriot" , War´s and Generals,Das Boot,The Transporter,of course Quigley down under,the series Band of Brothers.
For Comedy I prefer older movies or series because humor has changed over the years and sometimes the older are the better ones.

tonsper
03-19-2007, 02:40 AM
My vote goes for Clint Eastwood's "Unforgiven" and "Enemy at the Gates."

Nardoo
03-24-2007, 06:56 AM
All of the above plus:

A River runs through it.
Jedda
The Castle
The Old Man & the Sea
The Guns of Navorone
Catch 22
The Commitments
Walk the Line
The story of Hurricane
Mash
The Grapes of Wrath
To Kill a Mocking Bird
Moby Dick

Hey, this is fun

Nardoo

MT Gianni
03-24-2007, 02:09 PM
Yea, Old Man and The Sea, a good video and a great book. Gianni.

ktw
03-24-2007, 09:34 PM
many good ones already listed.

My war movie preferences run along the lines of
- Saving Private Ryan
- Band of Brothers
- Good Morning Vietnam
- Full Metal Jacket
- Master and Commander

One of the best movies that I haven't seen mentioned yet was "The Straight Story". Great story. Farnsworth as an old timer who heads off to patch things up with an estranged brother on the only transportation he has available: a riding lawnmower.

-ktw