PDA

View Full Version : looking for info

Dustinxxx
01-18-2012, 12:54 AM
I currently load for pistol (9mm and 45), but was thinking of stepping it up to rifle.. 3006 mainly..So what is needed to get me going on here, besides dies.. im sure there are extra steps that i need to know and maybe extra equipment? Im looking to buy a 308 here in the near future as well so hopefully i can end up reloading for that too.. Thanks in advance.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
01-18-2012, 02:47 AM
Dustin,

When it comes to rifle, there's lots of different ways to reload rifle for different purposes. Let us know what type of 30-06 you're planning to reload for, what type of bullets you want to use and what is the purpose of your reloads.

For example:

Bolt action hunting rifle
Hollow point hunting bullets for deer
Very accurate loads at ranges up to 600 yards

In the example above, you'd probably want to reload a smaller quantity (100 rounds maximum), with a single stage press. You would want to do a lot of good quality case prep and use an appropriate sizing die (neck size if the brass was shot in your rifle and you're only reloading for that rifle), trim the brass if needed, chamfer the case mouth and clean the primer pocket, then insert a primer, weigh the powder (good powder scale and good powder measure for rifle powders), put the powder in the case, then seat the bullet (using things like a competition seating die reduces run out and likely increases accuracy, an important thing once you get into shooting at longer distances).

While I left out some stuff and tried to stay as general as possible, that gives you a basic idea. Good reloading books are worth buying and reading to reload rifle.

So let us have more information and we'll help.

Kevin Rohrer
01-18-2012, 12:25 PM
Get yourself a copy of Lyman #49 and read the opening chapters. It will tell you what you need and how to use it.

Roundnoser
01-18-2012, 01:07 PM
Dustin,

When it comes to rifle, there's lots of different ways to reload rifle for different purposes. Let us know what type of 30-06 you're planning to reload for, what type of bullets you want to use and what is the purpose of your reloads.

For example:

Bolt action hunting rifle
Hollow point hunting bullets for deer
Very accurate loads at ranges up to 600 yards

In the example above, you'd probably want to reload a smaller quantity (100 rounds maximum), with a single stage press. You would want to do a lot of good quality case prep and use an appropriate sizing die (neck size if the brass was shot in your rifle and you're only reloading for that rifle), trim the brass if needed, chamfer the case mouth and clean the primer pocket, then insert a primer, weigh the powder (good powder scale and good powder measure for rifle powders), put the powder in the case, then seat the bullet (using things like a competition seating die reduces run out and likely increases accuracy, an important thing once you get into shooting at longer distances).

While I left out some stuff and tried to stay as general as possible, that gives you a basic idea. Good reloading books are worth buying and reading to reload rifle.

So let us have more information and we'll help.

Really good advice here. If you want to reload it for hunting out to 100 - 200 yards, case prep is not AS important. -- If you want high precision loads, you would want some addtional equipment such as a case neck (run out) gauge, case trimmer, primer pocket reamer, uniformer. primer seat depth guage....And you may also want to replace the full length sizing die, with a neck sizing die.

As you can tell, There's lots of info!...much more involved over auto pistol loads.

Dustinxxx
01-18-2012, 01:25 PM
Mainly i would use it for target shooting at the moment. I like shooting 150 gr bullets so thats what i would try to use when reloading.. ya the current brass i have is out of my gun once fired. Its a bolt action. Hope that helps a little. I should have put that in my original post.

waksupi
01-18-2012, 04:39 PM
Dustin, with a .30 bore, you will probably have better luck with a 180-200 gr. boolit.