PDA

View Full Version : How much Linotype?

maglvr
01-18-2012, 12:00 AM
Hi Folks:
I have a bunch of recycled range lead I bought from blackbike (cute little corn cob ingots).
Also, I just bought some Lino from another seller here.
My question is.............
What would be a good mix (to start with at least), if I wanted to end up with alloy similar to COWW?
I will likely be water dropping the boolits.
Thanks in advance!!
maglvr

Ole
01-18-2012, 12:06 AM
Hi Folks:
I have a bunch of recycled range lead I bought from blackbike (cute little corn cob ingots).
Also, I just bought some Lino from another seller here.
My question is.............
What would be a good mix (to start with at least), if I wanted to end up with alloy similar to COWW?
I will likely be water dropping the boolits.
Thanks in advance!!
maglvr

Try 1-2lbs of lino with your 14# of range lead.

bumpo628
01-18-2012, 12:24 AM
Here's a couple ideas:
1.0 lb lino + 10 lbs range lead = alloy with @ 0.5% tin, 2% antimony
1.5 lb lino + 10 lbs range lead = alloy with @ 0.65% tin, 2.4% antimony
2.0 lb lino + 10 lbs range lead = alloy with @ 0.8% tin, 2.8% antimony
2.5 lb lino + 10 lbs range lead = alloy with @ 0.9% tin, 3.2% antimony
3.0 lb lino + 10 lbs range lead = alloy with @ 1% tin, 3.5% antimony

WW lead is generally believed to be about 0.5% tin and 3% antimony, so any of these should work. I would start on the low end to make your lino go farther. In fact, the range lead might work fine by itself depending on what you're shooting.

maglvr
01-18-2012, 01:29 AM
Many thanks guys, much appreciated!!

btroj
01-18-2012, 09:20 AM
I shoot lotsof pistol bullets cast from straight range scrap. You may not need to add any Linotype at all.
What are you shooting the bullets in? How fast? Using a gas check?

Make sure you actually need the added hardness before using valuable Linotype.

maglvr
01-18-2012, 04:09 PM
I only shoot max loads(worked up in my guns, not "max" loads from todays watered down load manuals. And no gas checks, If Elmer didn't need them ,why would I? ;)
I shoot mainly revolvers in 357 mag, 41 mag, 44spl, 44 mag and 45 Colt.

btroj
01-18-2012, 04:50 PM
For the guns you mentioned there is likely no need at all for the added Linotype. I am shooting 357 in a Marlin at 1600 cast from water dropped range scrap, no gas check. Does not lead, shoots very well.
Most handguns just don't need that hard a bullet.

pastorcurtis
01-18-2012, 06:04 PM
This is good information. A fella over in the swapping and sellin area has got Linotype for about $2/lb shipped.

maglvr
01-18-2012, 11:38 PM
I'll have to give a try to water dropped range scrap.
Thanks!

maglvr
01-19-2012, 07:12 AM
Here's a couple ideas:
1.5 lb lino + 10 lbs range lead = alloy with @ 0.65% tin, 2.4% antimony
2.0 lb lino + 10 lbs range lead = alloy with @ 0.8% tin, 2.8% antimony
2.5 lb lino + 10 lbs range lead = alloy with @ 0.9% tin, 3.2% antimony
3.0 lb lino + 10 lbs range lead = alloy with @ 1% tin, 3.5% antimony

WW lead is generally believed to be about 0.5% tin and 3% antimony, so any of these should work. I would start on the low end to make your lino go farther. In fact, the range lead might work fine by itself depending on what you're shooting.

No offense meant or intended to anyone, BUT, if the "1.0 lb lino" numbers are correct, then all the others in the orig. chart (shown above)are WAY off, and should read as follows.........
1.5 lb lino + 10 lbs range lead = alloy with @ 0.75% tin, 3.0% antimony
2.0 lb lino + 10 lbs range lead = alloy with @ 1.0% tin, 4.0% antimony
2.5 lb lino + 10 lbs range lead = alloy with @ 1.25% tin, 5% antimony
3.0 lb lino + 10 lbs range lead = alloy with @ 1.50% tin, 6.0% antimony

Correct?

bumpo628
01-19-2012, 09:53 PM
No offense meant or intended to anyone, BUT, if the "1.0 lb lino" numbers are correct, then all the others in the orig. chart (shown above)are WAY off, and should read as follows.........
1.5 lb lino + 10 lbs range lead = alloy with @ 0.75% tin, 3.0% antimony
2.0 lb lino + 10 lbs range lead = alloy with @ 1.0% tin, 4.0% antimony
2.5 lb lino + 10 lbs range lead = alloy with @ 1.25% tin, 5% antimony
3.0 lb lino + 10 lbs range lead = alloy with @ 1.50% tin, 6.0% antimony

Correct?

No, because 84% of every pound of lino is lead and that changes the % of tin and antimony to the mix.

EDIT:
Btw, I forgot to mention that my calculations were based on the assumption that range lead is a mix between pure and WW lead at a ratio of about 2 to 1. Range lead is all over the place, so YMMV.

Ole
01-19-2012, 11:36 PM
I recently had some issue with some recent range lead that I bought water dropping a "hard" bullet.

I added 2lbs of lino to 14lbs of range scrap, water dropped it and got 20BHN bullets (hard enough for my app).

You might get away with adding less lino. I wouldn't add any more if you were water dropping your bullets.

Wireman134
01-20-2012, 09:19 AM
I shoot lots of pistol bullets cast from straight range scrap. You may not need to add any Linotype at all.
What are you shooting the bullets in? How fast? Using a gas check?

Make sure you actually need the added hardness before using valuable Linotype.

+1 You don't need but a few oz. of lino with the range lead if your dropping them in water. 16oz. of 11% Sb Linotype mixed in a 10lb. pot with Pb will drop to around 12 Bhn. Resulting alloy around 98.6% Pb/1.1% Sb/.3% Sn. If using range lead Bhn will be higher.

Centaur 1
01-20-2012, 11:16 AM
Do you have a hardness tester? I shoot range lead with no problem, even full power in my 30-30. My mixed lead water drops at 12-14 which is fine for just about everything. I have the advantage of being able to adjust the alloy a little since I'm the one that's melting the range scrap. A lot of guys shoot reloads at my range and they're using commercial hard cast boolits. The last two buckets that I got I separated out all the cast boolits that had hard blue lube still in the grooves. This alloy air cools at around 11-12bhn, and water drops approx 18bhn. I have to say that the softer lead that's melted from the cores of jacketed bullets works great in my handguns. I'm not shooting juiced up magnum loads, but my 9mm loads are going about 11-1200fps without any leading.

maglvr
01-20-2012, 04:51 PM
"No, because 84% of every pound of lino is lead and that changes the % of tin and antimony to the mix."

That makes sense, thank you much!!
maglvr

sag
01-25-2012, 01:33 AM
new to the site. I see lots of good info here. I have recently inherited alot of lead and reloading stuff. My grandfather passed and the last time i had ever done any casting was when i was 10ish.

Here is my dilemma I have probably 1000lbs of lead all in ingots. My main issue is when i go to cast some how do i figure how much lino or tin is needed? some ingots have more shine to them compared to others that are dark and dull.

Is the easiest way to check the BHN the pencile test?

Another note i also am not sure about the lube he has left me one is black in color and is phelps brand the others are llyman and are white in color. what are these good for?

as of now i have stock piles of ready to shoot and lubed 45ACP and 38/357. i shoot cast in my 45LC 45ACP and my 357mag and would like to cast some for the 45LC this weekend

i would like to set up in the future to cast some with Gas Checks for my 7.62 SKS to help burn up some powder and use some lead any input on what hardness I will need?

thanks for any input

bumpo628
01-25-2012, 02:15 AM
new to the site. I see lots of good info here. I have recently inherited alot of lead and reloading stuff. My grandfather passed and the last time i had ever done any casting was when i was 10ish.

Here is my dilemma I have probably 1000lbs of lead all in ingots. My main issue is when i go to cast some how do i figure how much lino or tin is needed? some ingots have more shine to them compared to others that are dark and dull.

Is the easiest way to check the BHN the pencile test?

Another note i also am not sure about the lube he has left me one is black in color and is phelps brand the others are llyman and are white in color. what are these good for?

as of now i have stock piles of ready to shoot and lubed 45ACP and 38/357. i shoot cast in my 45LC 45ACP and my 357mag and would like to cast some for the 45LC this weekend

i would like to set up in the future to cast some with Gas Checks for my 7.62 SKS to help burn up some powder and use some lead any input on what hardness I will need?

thanks for any input

Sounds like you need to invest in a hardness tester. Since you got so much for free, the $50 to $100 for a tester won't hurt so bad. Separate all the ingots by hardness and you can decide what to do with them later. As for the different lube, you can either try both of them out or buy some new stuff to get started.

Reading a bunch of the sticky posts in several different forums will be a big help too.

sag
01-25-2012, 01:53 PM
thanks for the input. what are some good hardness testers out there in the 150.00 area

sargenv
01-26-2012, 11:23 AM
I have the LBT.. it was $100.. and is quite easy to use..

cajun shooter
01-27-2012, 09:35 AM
SAG, Look at the Cabin Tree tester made by our own member Gussy. It's built like a tank from heavy steel and has a easy to read dial indicator.
If you opt for the top model which you should it also will tell you about bullet and ammo run out.
It is fast to read and will be the best investment you may make. It can be seen without the need for a microscope like the Lee.
It's not cheap but you get what you pay for. If you don't like it it may be sold on this forum and will be purchased in fast time, believe me.
His site has plenty of information and if you need further proof do a search and see all the feed back on them. Best of Luck to you in your new hobby, David

sag
01-31-2012, 01:55 PM
thanks every one

sag
02-01-2012, 12:40 AM
i am still getting leading in my 45lc.

the boolits that i got an melted down (they were .357) then re-casted for my 45lc were marked 10lino-10pure lead. the hardness tester showed them being about 20BHN air cooled.

i loaded them up with 5.7 grains of clays and they should be shooting at 889FPS

Im starting to think its a lube issue. the lube im using is very old it is white in color and is phelps lube. as i read more about boolit hardness 20BHN should be more then enuff for about anything under 2000fps

Echo
02-01-2012, 11:35 AM
I'm betting it is a fit issue. Leading usually is - a fit issue. What is the diameter of the throats of your 45LC cylinder (assuming you are shooting 45LC in a revolver)? Your boolits should be sized to that diameter, or maybe .001 larger.

And BHN 20 is way too hard for pistol boolits. No need - BHN 10 is probably hard enough for the 45LC @ 889 fps. Fit is King!