PDA

View Full Version : Loaded Some "New Shooter" 38s Today

Alan in Vermont
01-17-2012, 09:13 PM
A younger buddy of mine bought is GF a Charter "Pink Lady" 5-shot 38 for Christmas. He commented on the ammo cost, the gun shop sold him 110 gr. J-word ammo with it. That might be OK but I suspect it has a faily sharp snap out that 2" tube, not to mention the cost. I convinced him that he needed to learn reloading so she(they) could shoot more.

Another buddy donated a box of 142 gr. Lyman wadcutters to the project and I had a bucket of 38 brass and part of a can of Bullseye and most of a brick of primers.

I set up the RCBS lubrasizer and ran most of the WCs through, leaving Jeff a few to do himself, might as well give him the full experience.

Once the boolits were done we moved to my Ponsness-Warren P-200 and ran ammo until we ran out of boolits. 293 rounds out the door.

He has an annular pig roast at his house. At the last one there was some informal shooting done. Some of it was by folks who had never shot but were curious to do so. There were no good training guns there but even at that several people went away with a more positive outlook on the shooting sports. This year I plan to take a couple of my guns and borrow one or two and spend my time coaching. I'm thinking an 870 20 ga. Youth Model, my Single-Six, a K-22 Smith and my wife's BL-22 for rimfires and my DA only Security-Six (with 38 loads) and my .41 Blackhawk with rock-n-roll loads for the obnoxious 20 something who felt he had to teach me shoot last year. :) If I can borrow a short .44 I might take that instead of the .41. I think it might be fun to see if I can build that ******* a flinch in 5 rounds or less.

shooting on a shoestring
01-18-2012, 10:43 PM
I'm of the opinion, the pink lady with 142 wadcutters over Bullseye would be my choice over factory 110s. Yep, 38s are a great way to learn to reload, shoot and repeat. Good fun, cheap, and very useful.

Build a flinch in him....I've seen the type....best of luck to you. Might try to load him one round short to see if he got it.

jameslovesjammie
01-19-2012, 05:16 PM
My favorite "first shooter" load is the Lee 125 RF over 2.8 grains of Bullseye. It leaves the barrel at 550 fps and recoils like a .22.

runfiverun
01-19-2012, 06:25 PM
too bad i ain't closer, i'm sure a couple of 350's from the 445's 4" Bbl would get him jerkin and flinchin in the right direction.
you might be able to find a good bfr in 45-70 somewhere's.
at least he wouldn't hear you laughin at him.

lathesmith
01-19-2012, 07:06 PM
I used to have a standard Blackhawk in 44mag, with a 4 5/8" barrel. It was handy to carry, but I believe it was one of the most painful guns to shoot I have ever owned. I'll bet that 41 with some full-charge heavyweights would be quite a handful in its own right, and I like shoestring's idea of an empty last chamber. I'll be he'd practically be throwing that thing after 5 hot loads!

lathesmith

Mk42gunner
01-19-2012, 11:49 PM
It has been my experience that people like that already have a flinch, but won't believe you when you try to tell them how to correct it.

I never shot any 110 gr .38's, but I did buy a few boxess of W-W white box 110 gr JHP .357's. They were supposed to be the old Treasury load. I will say that they were almost as loud inside the San Diego indoor range as when Tim LaFrance used to bring M-60's in to test them.

Robert