PDA

View Full Version : Curious...

Flinchrock
01-17-2012, 09:09 PM
I have some Mobil-1 synthetic wheel bearing grease and I have some beeswax,,,do I have boollit lube for .45 ACP and .45 Colt??? Top end loads.

legend
01-17-2012, 10:09 PM
I think the oil will migrate out of the bees wax........heck make a small batch and try it.it might be what you are looking for.

runfiverun
01-17-2012, 10:15 PM
sure, but you'll never melt the grease to mix them together.
i would get the b-wax to a mushy state like mashed potatoes then mix the grease in.
a hand blender works best for this kind of stuff.
you'll have to work slow enough adding the grease in to get the viscosity you want.
i'd most likely go with 30% grease to start then re work the mix to get where i wanted.
some atf,white lith grease, vaseline,ivory soap,and lanolin would be on standby.

375RUGER
01-17-2012, 10:55 PM
Bens Red uses lucas grease. So I think you're good to go.
here's the link to that recipe.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=81031

Thompsoncustom
01-18-2012, 09:41 PM
I just lubed 50 bullets with a mix that included moly-fortified wheel bearing grease but I have yet to load and test them. If you make some up I would like to hear how it turns out.

cbrick
01-18-2012, 09:49 PM
A few years back I made up a couple dozens different lubes and test fired using all the same loads and grouped shooting over the chrono. All of the loads prevented leading, accuracy was variable. All of the lubes were bees wax based.

The very worst groups were those fired using Mobil 1 synthetic, shame had high hopes for it. It will blend with bees wax but takes tons of stirring.

This was in a 308 rifle and I didn't test it in the 45 Colt or 45 ACP but . . . .

What I did discover is that this grease at 2-3 bucks a pound is remarkably similair to the Shooters Choice little $6.00 syringe type tubes red gun grease.

Rick

Flinchrock
01-18-2012, 10:22 PM
sure, but you'll never melt the grease to mix them together.
i would get the b-wax to a mushy state like mashed potatoes then mix the grease in.
a hand blender works best for this kind of stuff.
you'll have to work slow enough adding the grease in to get the viscosity you want.
i'd most likely go with 30% grease to start then re work the mix to get where i wanted.
some atf,white lith grease, vaseline,ivory soap,and lanolin would be on standby.

Mostly just curious,,,have read every lube formula posted on this site,,,currently using Lars BAC but it does need a little heat to feed thru my 450.

I like to experiment,,but I don't like to waste time and money any more than I have to...

Thanks for the comebacks!

runfiverun
01-19-2012, 12:28 PM
bac is pretty hard to beat.
you can make your own easily enough if you want to.
if you wanna try a grease mix then white or brown lithium is an easy one to mix in just melt the b-wax and add the grease stir till cool.
you can modify this to suit your needs with the ingredients i mentioned above.