PDA

View Full Version : Turk Stock Makeover

joatmon
03-08-2007, 01:59 AM
Anybody made one look pretty,can it be done,have I been casting over a buffalo chip fire too long? ( Yes, we have buffalo in VA. ) TIA:confused:

Ricochet
03-08-2007, 02:14 AM
I like 'em like they are.

Buckshot
03-08-2007, 04:14 AM
Anybody made one look pretty,can it be done,have I been casting over a buffalo chip fire too long? ( Yes, we have buffalo in VA. ) TIA:confused:

...........Sure ya can, and especially if it's a nice piece of wood to start with. You can cut some relief flutes at the front of the cheekpiece and do some refining aournd he pistolgrip. Naturally you can't add wood where there isn't any, but you can refine and reshape a little what is there.

................Buckshot

Shepherd2
03-08-2007, 09:19 AM
I'm with Ricochet on this one. I have a couple K Kales Turks that were pretty cruddy when I got them. You can't expect much for $55 but if you looked thru the cosmoline, grit and oil there was some very nice walnut down there. I spent a lot of time degreasing and steaming dents but I wound up with a couple nice looking Turks.

joatmon
03-08-2007, 10:29 PM
Thanks all. One of my K Kales is solid with all the battle scares, another looks almost brand new and another has some kind of striped wood (it is NICE). So that covers my collector needs and leaves four for the pretty treatment! I got these at 34.50 ea.so am willing to play a little with the remaining ones. The two best shooters will stay 8MM, one will be 35whelen and the last 338-06.

Newtire
03-18-2007, 11:17 AM

Did a rework on this one & turned out like this.

joatmon
03-19-2007, 09:32 PM
Nice job. Man that hand guard has some figure!

Newtire
03-19-2007, 09:53 PM
Nice job. Man that hand guard has some figure!

Like Buckshot says, there's some nice wood there. I believe mine is walnut, what else could it be? Used a finish from a 2001 Gun Digest article called "The Lemon Meringue Stock". Used several cans of oven cleaner and finally some brake-kleen to get the "cosmopoliteen" out of the stock. I wished I had several more to finish! Too bad my Russian gun comes with such a plain-Jane hunk of lumber!