PDA

View Full Version : Do The Under $20 Powder Trickler's Work Ok?

UtopiaTexasG19
01-17-2012, 08:07 PM
I have used a small electronic scale for years and weight out every charge of powder after it is dispensed from a Lee powder dispenser. Every once in a while the loads being weighed come out a partial grain to a grain low and I have in the past just trickled the additional powder onto the scale with a tiny spoon. Do the under $20 Lyman or Hornady powder trickler's work well to finish off a charge any easier than my spoon method? Thanks...

Ickisrulz
01-17-2012, 08:18 PM
The best power trickler is Redding's #5 which sells for about $20.00. The reason being is because it is so heavy it will not move around on you.

I'd personally rather use a trickler than a spoon. But I suppose either will work.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/487186/redding-5-powder-trickler

para45lda
01-17-2012, 08:21 PM
Mine has. Since 1978 as a matter of fact. Keeps my fingers from contaminating my powder and trickles as fast as I can turn it. My two cents

Wes

canyon-ghost
01-17-2012, 08:21 PM
I have an RCBS, works alright. They just rely on threads inside the tube to carry the powder down to the pan. You turn it, the threads transport powder! It trickles it in okay, makes my loads very much more consistent than any other method.

williamwaco
01-17-2012, 08:27 PM
I have used a small electronic scale for years and weight out every charge of powder after it is dispensed from a Lee powder dispenser. Every once in a while the loads being weighed come out a partial grain to a grain low and I have in the past just trickled the additional powder onto the scale with a tiny spoon. Do the under $20 Lyman or Hornady powder trickler's work well to finish off a charge any easier than my spoon method? Thanks...

Yes, they work well, I used one for many years.

BUT:

The trickler I use now and have used for many years is a digital device. It consists consists of two digits - my right thumb and my right index finger.

Either method will work much better than the tiny spoon.

The old gentleman who taught me to reload made me a tiny spoon from a piece of heavy copper wire. one end was wound into a spiral for a handle and the other end was flattened into a tiny scoop shaped spoon with a ball peen hammer. It was a "de-trickler" used to remove a few kernels when you trickled a little too much.

After getting a little experience and self confidence, I decided that was silly and if I went over, I just tossed the charge back into the powder hopper and throw another one. - Much faster.

sundog
01-17-2012, 08:40 PM
Please do not take this wrong, it is MY opinion. Trickling powder charges is a waste of time and not necessary. I have a trickler and never use it.

However, if trickling powder reinforces your confidence level, have at it.

geargnasher
01-17-2012, 08:40 PM
"The trickler I use now and have used for many years is a digital device. It consists consists of two digits - my right thumb and my right index finger."

Priceless!

Gear

01-17-2012, 08:43 PM
I've an RCBS that has been quite satisfactory. It used to move about till I filled the bottom with lead.

fryboy
01-17-2012, 08:54 PM
like 462 i filled the bottom of my rcbs with lead ...twice lolz the second time i drilled opposing dimples in the sides to hold the lead in place as it slid right out ( slicker than a boolit out of a fine mold ) i've done three of them that way ( two for friends/family ) if you fill it full of lead make sure that you take the plastic pieces off first , i havent had them melt but i also didnt take the chance , as i got wiser i use alot of powders that meter excellent and usually doesnt need trickling but the larger grained stuff or working up loads i'll always trickle , it's one piece of equipment that i consider very useful

midnight
01-17-2012, 09:05 PM
I filled my RCBS with lead too and it was very stable. With the RCBS chargemaster it doesn't get much use anymore.

Bob

dragonrider
01-17-2012, 09:12 PM
Yes they work very well. I have a red one, don't know who made it. Don't think I have use it ten times in twenty five years. As Sundog said, a waste of time.

'74 sharps
01-17-2012, 09:44 PM
Redding produces a very heavy base trickler. Well built.

cheese1566
01-17-2012, 09:52 PM
I filled my RCBS with lead too and it was very stable. With the RCBS chargemaster it doesn't get much use anymore.

Bob

Exactly the same for me!

I first started with a plastic Hornady trickler. (Junk in my opinion!) I gave it away and moved to a $5 RCBS trickler found at a gun show.
Problem with the Hornady was the brass trickle tube was too tight and hard to turn with the fingers. Plus the entire thing was too light weight. Couple that with friction and you turned the whole thing over in use, spilling powder. Eeeeek!
I did improve it by filling the bottom with lead shot and sealing it over with 5 minute epoxy, plus graphite on the brass tube to cut friction.

Silver Eagle
01-18-2012, 12:54 AM
Filled the bottom of my RCBS trickler with a mixture of steel BB's and Epoxy. Made it a lot more stable and the epoxy on the bottom seems to act as an additional non-slip surface.
Most of the time for over weight loads I just toss them back in the hopper and throw another one. Same goes for if they are way under thrown.

Silver Eagle

Bwana
01-18-2012, 02:00 AM
My "trickler" has always been a Lee powder scoop and I run my thumbnail over the lettering to dispense.

dromia
01-18-2012, 02:00 AM
I use the Target Master electronic trickler.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/adamsutherland/Target%20Master/IMG_2420A.jpg

I've done a brief review here: http://www.full-bore.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4125

Its been around for over 20 years with upgrades so it has stood the test of time.

With a powder dispenser set to drop near charge weight its faster and more accurate than any electronic powder dispenser, PACT, RCBS, Hornady etc., on the market, even although it wasn't designed as such. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/adamsutherland/Smilies%20FB/icon_thumbup.gif

Unfortunately its not under $20 US but at £100 it won't break the bank either.

kshock
01-18-2012, 07:08 AM
I use the RCBS when I am working up loads for match ammo...works good for me and mine sits on a rubber non skid mat so I have never had problems with it moving.

Moonman
01-18-2012, 09:36 AM
My RCBS has a bottom that I filled with lead.

7of7
01-18-2012, 09:51 AM
I would like one of those, unfortunately, they are only available to addresses within the UK...:???:

I use the Target Master electronic trickler.

I've done a brief review here: http://www.full-bore.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4125

Its been around for over 20 years with upgrades so it has stood the test of time.

With a powder dispenser set to drop near charge weight its faster and more accurate than any electronic powder dispenser, PACT, RCBS, Hornady etc., on the market, even although it wasn't designed as such. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/adamsutherland/Smilies%20FB/icon_thumbup.gif

Unfortunately its not under $20 US but at £100 it won't break the bank either.

Moondawg
01-18-2012, 10:43 AM
Like others have posted on this threat, I have an RCBS trickler that I probably paid somewhere around $4.95 for in 1971. I turn its little knob with my finger/thumb and it trickles out the exact amount of powder needed. It has always worked, it's never had a battery die, and it still works during power outages. The only time it failed me was one time I had my hand in a cast for 6 weeks.

Dan Cash
01-18-2012, 11:07 AM
When I started reloading about 1960 I thought I had to have a trickler and got one for about $5.00 back in the day. I did not have a powder measure then so a dip with a spoon and finish it off with the trickler. Later, I discovered that a dose of powder in a cartridge case could be trickled by rolling the case between thumb and finger; much faster than the $5.00 model. (Use a case for something that you never reload.) Still later, I got a rifle that was capable of incredibly small groups and discovered that trickling to the 'nth degree did not improve groups over what was achieved by dropping straight from my Lyman 55 measure.

btroj
01-18-2012, 11:08 AM
Do they work? Yes they do. They are a pretty simple device when you look at it.

I too have taken to using my fingers and thumb. It works well and is quite easy.

sundog
01-18-2012, 11:40 AM
"Still later, I got a rifle that was capable of incredibly small groups and discovered that trickling to the 'nth degree did not improve groups over what was achieved by dropping straight from my Lyman 55 measure. "

Dan Cash, that's what the boys (Pros) in the Houston warehouse discovered, also. And they were shooting some ubber high dollar BR stuff.

Hardcast416taylor
01-18-2012, 12:06 PM
I attached the crank handle from a pencil sharpener to the turning knob on my trickler for a more positive action and sensitive feel.Robert

Longwood
01-18-2012, 12:10 PM
"Still later, I got a rifle that was capable of incredibly small groups and discovered that trickling to the 'nth degree did not improve groups over what was achieved by dropping straight from my Lyman 55 measure. "

Dan Cash, that's what the boys (Pros) in the Houston warehouse discovered, also. And they were shooting some ubber high dollar BR stuff.

The Lyman measure is well known for their consistent drops.
The secret is that little knocker on the side of the measure. .

milprileb
01-18-2012, 02:37 PM
Wonderful thread of knowledge. If one cannot make a informed decision with this data, I don't know what else one would need!

You won't find one of these most likely but if the off chance you come across a Herters trickler, its small, well made and heavy. But don't buy it.. trust me. It uses a spring to spiral the powder out of the tube and the spring will catch sometimes and BOING... powder pops out all over your bench. Entertaining but distracting. I got a RCBS tricker right after that and did the lead bottom ballast treatment and its 40 yrs old and doing nicely.

The Herters was not "Model Perfect" as advertised.

Recluse
01-18-2012, 02:45 PM
Once again, I'm the odd man out.

I have an RCBS trickler and have had for thirty years. Not long after getting it, I filled the bottom up with lead, then silicone-sealed it. Not it doesn't slide or slip or anything else on the bench.

I use it with every single precision rifle-round I load.

The military taught me all about controlling what variables I could, and powder charge is a variable I can control, so I do. :)

:coffee:

milprileb
01-18-2012, 04:31 PM
Recluse... I am with you and 10 yrs more time doing so. Nothing wrong with a lead
ballast RCBS trickler if one wants to use one !