PDA

View Full Version : SPG Lube

DavZee
01-17-2012, 07:51 PM
I've just acquired a Lyman 450 Lube Sizer and it came with the reservoir full of SPG lube. I will be soon lubing .45 acp that will be used in target loads. Is this lube ok to use or should I clean it out and use the TAC #1 lube I bought? Thank You for your help.

Larry Gibson
01-18-2012, 12:11 AM
SPG lube will work perfectly fine for your .45 ACP target loads. It actually works very well up to 1800 -1900 fps (maybe higher but I've not taken it there).

Larry Gibson

gandydancer
01-18-2012, 12:19 AM
That's all I use in my 45 long colt good stuff.

Frank V
01-19-2012, 08:15 PM
I use SPG in all my cast bullet handgun loads. It's especially good for Blackpowder, but works well in all the handgun loads I've used.
Frank

cajun shooter
01-24-2012, 09:57 AM
SPG are the initials for the inventor Steve Garbe who is a well known BPCR shooter. He and Mike Venturino were partners for a while in the SPG business but Mike sold out his part.
The lube is meant for the shooting of BP at long range in the guns used for that sport. It will as has been posted work in smokeless powder loads.
The largest draw back is it's cost which it may be replaced by many much cheaper lubes that are for sale.
The White Label lubes which are made by a forum member are easy on the pockets and work for your type shooting.
I would not continue to use it for smokeless loads unless you are well off and the cost is not a factor. BAC is around $2 or so a tube with SPG selling for over $22 a pound.

HangFireW8
01-25-2012, 10:09 PM
I started out with 2 sticks of SPG for 45/70, and ended up finishing most of the second the stick for a bunch of 45ACP. It all worked fine.

HF