PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready for shooting season

mag_01
03-08-2007, 01:17 AM
Still a bit cold here but nice weather is on its way---If you are a serious (like to win) shooter when you are shooting with your friends I feel a little conditioning is in order. I like to do some upper body strengthening and trigger finger exercise. I like to do all friendly competition shooting---- standing whether pistol or rifle. So upper body strength is helpful. For upper body strength I do push-ups and 5 or 10 lb hand hand weights and as far as trigger finger just a heavy rubber band dose the trick. I lost about 85% use in my left arm this year and I'm back to about 90%.Just thought I would mention this and of course when its your turn to shoot ---shooting discipline is paramount.------Mag

Keep em in the black Amigo

VTDW
03-08-2007, 10:00 AM
I eat more to get my strength up for the long, hot summer. For shooting finger strength I use that digit to peel apples.:-D

I admire your comittment to physical condition though.

Dave

1Shirt
03-08-2007, 11:00 AM
Shot yesterday on outdoor range! Temp 30 degrees, snow about a foot deep, and crusty, bench chairs frozen to the ground, overcast, no wind. Shot about 40 rounds of cast 375H&H, and about same in 7x57. Had to use 4 wheel drive to get in and out. Didn't have to worry about the range being crowded. As to exercise for spring shooting, get pleanty of right arm exercise pulling the handle of my Lyman turret, and the left arm gets the cross over on change of stations. Life is good. Any day on the range is better than a day working for someone else.
1Shirt!:coffee:

ktw
03-08-2007, 01:19 PM
Shot yesterday on outdoor range! Temp 30 degrees, snow about a foot deep, and crusty, bench chairs frozen to the ground, overcast, no wind. Shot about 40 rounds of cast 375H&H, and about same in 7x57. Had to use 4 wheel drive to get in and out.

Me, too.

20 degrees and sunny, snow was crotch deep, hiked in 3/4 mile on snowshoes, 200 rds 32 H&R Mag, 25 rds 45 cal flintlock.

-ktw

Ed Barrett
03-08-2007, 08:03 PM
Shot yesterday on outdoor range! Temp 30 degrees, snow about a foot deep, and crusty, bench chairs frozen to the ground, overcast, no wind.
1Shirt!:coffee:
I'm not that far South of you, I went shooting today out at the state range, 65 degrees and light winds. Supposed to keep warm til Monday at least. It was agreat day at the range.

Kraschenbirn
03-09-2007, 12:19 AM
Location: Central Illinois flatlands. Weather guy says it's supposed to be partly cloudy and in the mid-50s tomorrow so I'm headed for the range. I figure that the snow drifts from our late January storm (16" w/40 mph winds) have melted down enough to get inside the gate without 4WD but I'm still packing along my mud boots and handwarmer.

Got four different test loads (3 black, 1 smokeless) for the Trapdoor Carbine (which I only got to shoot twice before the weather turned to crap) and two CB loads for the K31 which are my first attempts at cast bullets in a centerfire rifle designed for smokeless and J-Bs.

Will post results over the weekend.

Bill

qajaq59
03-09-2007, 06:43 AM
Gee whiz guys, thanks for reminding me why we retired in Florida. We'll need to have the overhead fans running at the outdoor range this morning. :mrgreen:

You'll have to forgive me. I just couldn't resist.

bruce drake
03-09-2007, 09:21 AM
-22 below last night and we still have 4ft drift covering the gate to the range. When I go shooting I usually bring my snowshoes to walk in from the parking lot. They say spring will be here in May.

Bruce
Upstate New York

mag_01
03-09-2007, 12:03 PM
Weather here should be good tomorrow---Saturday and Sunday---- will definitely get some shooting in---Hope most of the Ice and snow disappears and the day Sunny---Mag

bishopgrandpa
03-09-2007, 12:24 PM
Watertown is always bad but here on the other side of the state we had -10 this morning and that surprise snow is still more than knee deep. Last year at this time I was on the range with no snow. Spring is gonna be late this year.

monadnock#5
03-10-2007, 12:23 AM
-10° at night, and mid 20"s daytime, and the indoor range is out of wood! We have bring wood from 200 yards away for our league matches. I shot a 389 tonight. Happy, Happy, Joy Joy.

For exercise, try jumping rope. Or better yet, lose the rope and jump with a 1-1/4 lb weight in each hand. Try it and you'll be amazed. You get a great cardio workout and upper body conditioning.

Ken

Bass Ackward
03-10-2007, 09:00 AM
Thank goodness I don't live where some of you do.

It doesn't get too much below -30 here. And not much above 98 either. Perfect shootin weather. But it does improve performance if you degrease your guns when it goes below zero.

So I don't need to get outta shootin shape, cause the season never ends here.

And all I need to maintain my fine physical conditioning is curling 16 ouncers.

hivoltfl
03-10-2007, 10:59 AM
Guys I feel for you all puttin up with that cold, not to bad here, high 70's fish are startin to bite, Azealas are in bloom so are the redbuds and dogwoods, Had enough? Rick

Dale53
03-10-2007, 08:26 PM
We made a flying trip (by Chrysler Town and Country:)) from our home in SW Ohio to Southern Pines, N.C. to visit our son and family (lovely wife and two wonderrful grandchildren). It was 23 degrees when we left, 66 degrees in W. Va and in the sixties here in N.C. I can hear the activity on the Special Forces range (Ft. Bragg), from here. It's flat music to my ears...

We had a marvelous day today. Nothing but sunshine, sixties temps, and a light wind. Just marvelous...

I'll be on the range when we get home early next week. If it is cold, it'll be on the indoor range, if it's decent, we'll be on the outdoor range. Life is GOOD!!

Dale53

waksupi
03-11-2007, 12:38 AM
Beautiful day for our monthly ML shoot today. Sun and clouds, highs in mid forties. About perfect in my book. Snow nearly gone, geese flying over making music. And, I once again kicked the butt of a dear friend nemisis, with my smoothbore!

Rick N Bama
03-11-2007, 06:57 AM
Visiting here in LA for the weekend, we've enjoyed 75* temps with abundunt sunshine. I've had to use the AC in the truck & also our host turned it on in the house yesterday.

OH, "LA" in my case is "Lower Alabama":mrgreen:

Rick