PDA

View Full Version : Storing bullet molds to prevent rust

Sendaro
01-17-2012, 05:12 PM
Would like to hear your thoughts, and suggestions for storing bullet molds to prevent rust damage. I was told to leave the cavaty filled with the casting material. This does not seem to work well for me as I found some faint rust in the mold cavity when I went to use it sevral months later. I've been told that putting oil in or on the mold to prevent rust while in storage is not the way to go. So what is? Need your suggestions. Thanks, Sendaro

redgum
01-17-2012, 06:03 PM
I usually douse 'em in a good penetrating oil like penatrine or inox or WD40.
Got to clean them well before casting wrinkle free boolits but id rather clean them than replace them

geargnasher
01-17-2012, 06:22 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=115858&highlight=storage+mold

Gear

dnotarianni
01-17-2012, 06:22 PM
I spray them with case lube
Dave

rmb721
01-17-2012, 06:31 PM
I spray them with Rem Lube and store in a zip lock bag inside the plastic mould box.

largom
01-17-2012, 08:05 PM
I store mine in my gun room where a dehumidifier runs constantly.

Larry

Ben
01-17-2012, 08:11 PM
Might be more trouble than you want , but this
system continues to meet my needs 101%

The cabinet now has a " golden rod " in the bottom
of the cabinet that isn't mentioned or shown below :

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=13322

Sgt Petro
01-17-2012, 08:17 PM
You'd be surprised at what a good sealing ammo can will do for you.
While not recommended for long term storage, I just wipe mine down with Kroil.
The ammo can has a few desiccant packs as well.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=138843

shotman
01-17-2012, 08:22 PM
ammo box they sell the big ones on feebay some oil dry in bottom NOT CAT LITTER stuff it has soda in it

Le Loup Solitaire
01-17-2012, 08:49 PM
When the blocks that I have finished casting with have cooled, I wipe them and lube the retaining screws with a product called Cleanzoil, wrap them in a plastic bag that can be sealed and put them in a GI ammo can with other similarly treated molds. I've never had any rust issues. To use a set of blocks again I soak them first in acetone, brush out the cavities with an old toothbrush, dry with a hair dryer and then pre-heat. Acetone or paint thinner should be used in a well ventilated area. LLS

shotstring
01-18-2012, 02:13 AM
It seems that most people here coat with some kind of lubricant before long term storage. Everyone seems to use several different products and all seem to work well. But has anyone found or used anything on their molds that either did a poor job or was destructive in some way and should be avoided?

geargnasher
01-18-2012, 03:28 AM
Leaving the cavity full of lead can be destructive to iron moulds.

Gear

Bret4207
01-18-2012, 08:24 AM
I store my moulds in an old, dead refrigerator with a 25 watt light bulb burning and a large reusable desiccant pack. About once a year I have to renew the desiccant pack and I replace the bulb 4-5 times a year, I imagine vibration is the cause of bulbs burning out. I find a little surface rust occasionally, but overall it works very well with zero oils on the moulds.

I've tried leaving the boolit in, coating in wax, oils, etc. Other than immersing them in oil nothing works 100% in the humid north east.

lbaize3
01-19-2012, 12:00 PM
I spray the molds down with Kroil oil and seal them in a zip lock bag. They stay in my enclosed shop area and I have had no rust problems...

runfiverun
01-20-2012, 02:07 AM
yep, penetrating oil to store and brake cleaner to get started.
i do have to re-lube the alignment pins and such before starting.
but no rust.

Southern Son
01-20-2012, 03:01 AM
a good coating of lanolin grease then into a large tupperware kind of box. When casting time comes around, I hit the mould with de-greaser several times, then scrub the mould in hot soapy water.

Moondawg
01-20-2012, 04:00 AM
I live within spitting distance of the Gulf. I store my molds in large tupperware containers with several of Brownell's yellow rust blox, and a small reusable dissicator. I have hand no problems with rusty molds. Most everything else rusts though.

MT Gianni
01-20-2012, 12:00 PM
I store my molds in Montana. I had one rust after boiling all the shipping oil off and had to retreat it before it became blued enough to be rust resistant.

smoked turkey
01-21-2012, 11:10 PM
A few days ago I got a new mold from Tom at Accurate Molds. As you know these are nice molds so I wanted a nice storage container for this one. At Dollar General for $1.50 I found that a PVC denture box with hinged lid is a perfect fit for the single cavity mold. I lined the box with some cotton cloth with a dab of Rem Oil on it and stored it in my safe with the others. If I ever get dentures I already have the storage box!

TCFAN
01-22-2012, 05:54 PM
I use good ole 3-1 oil on all of my steel or iron molds.When I go to use then again brake cleaner from wal-mart and a hot plate and I am good to go..............Terry

kweidner
01-23-2012, 07:51 PM
got to oil them here too. humidity runs 80 to 100 percent like yesterday. No oil means rust. just clean em and go.

Sendaro
01-24-2012, 07:59 AM
OK guys. I have oiled them and stored them in a good place.

cajun shooter
01-24-2012, 09:05 AM
If you go to the pharmacy and speak to the person in charge and request all the dissident packs that come with each bottle of pills they open. They thrown them all away anyway. I ended up with enough to last a year with just one week's worth.
I use them in ammo cans that store my moulds.