PDA

View Full Version : 9mm Luger in Contender/Encore carbine

Who's this Guy ?
01-17-2012, 10:28 AM
Anybody have or shoot on a regular basis 9mm Luger out of a Contender/Encore?
I just came to the realization that I reload the 9mm Luger more than anything and can do it on the cheap, especially using lead cast 125gr. I want to get a Rifle /carbine and it seems like the only thing out there these days is a semi. I used to have a Marlin camp 9 years ago but could never warm up to it. I like the idea of a single-shot 9mm and from what I can find on the net, I could have a barrel made for either the Contender or Encore Rifle. Does anybody have one or reccommend a certain length and rifle twist that is the best or most accurate combination for the 9mm Luger in a rifle length 16+ inches? I probably will be just using it for target practice more and not hunting so much. Thanks!

leadman
01-17-2012, 01:44 PM
Along this same line I had a 45acp 18" barrel. Shot very well. The 9mm should also be good.
With the 45acp I gained about 300 fps over my 1911 with the same load.

You might check with Ed's Contenders to ask if he has one in stock.

quilbilly
01-21-2012, 02:14 PM
I have had my carbine barrel for many years and have enjoyed it immensely. I first tried it with hot loads (8.8 gr AA7) and 125 JHP. It shot OK with the first shot of each string but vertical stringing was terrible at 50 yds.
I have since switched to a much lighter load (4.6 gr of Unique) and cast boolits in either a .357- 150gr RN or a 357-125gr RNFP. That virtually eliminated vertical stringing at 50 yards. While the accuracy isn't great, it still does just fine on bobcats and especially coyotes out to 80 yards or rabbits out to 50 yards.
It is a wonderful plinker that is inexpensive to shoot with almost no recoil and limited noise making it fun for non-shooters but still having "authority" for varmints.

Who's this Guy ?
01-21-2012, 05:31 PM
I appreciate the responses, I am going to get one of these once I get some spare coin. quilbilly, What's the length on your barrel and do you know what twist it may be? Thanks!

quilbilly
01-21-2012, 08:35 PM
I am not sure what the twist is offhand but I know it is a .357 bore so is probably the same as their 357, 38 sp, and 357 max. My barrel is 18" and came through the T/C Custom Shop. A 9mm barrel is fairly rare. I also do cast boolits for my 380 auto (.355 diam) and it shoots those as well.
I got it with open sights then put on a Williams peep sight which has worked out very well.
The setup is so light weight that it is a joy to carry over my back when I mountain bike through Olympic Peninsula tree farms where a long range shot is often only 40 yards.:coffeecom