PDA

View Full Version : Squib

Ragnarok
01-17-2012, 12:03 AM
Got my work done early...and went to my favorite shooting spot for a bit of target practice/plinking. Was quite windy so mostly plinking.

Anyhow..I burned a bunch of cheap Herter's .223 from my leo trade Mini 14...cheapo ammo worked fine...once you got it to strip one into the chamber the Ruger would run it ok. Was using a brandnew Ruger 5 shot and a no-name 30 shot mag..neither mag I had used before just checking them out.

The squib..I had a squib shooting my FEG High Power. I had not fired the gun in years. I had accumulated a couple mags-full of various loose 9mm ball..some Fiocci 124gr..various domestic 115gr...maybe a few old milsurp 9mm cartridges too. The lion-share being Rem/UMC 115gr ball probably. All the loose ammo was just old stuff I had popped out of mags and not had a box for or whatever.

The first mag in the FEG generated a squib...shot felt different and sparks came out the ejection port!...The gun ejected the empty..but I didn't see a bullet strike so I dropped the mag and checked the bore. Bullet had cleared the bore....back to shooting. I had some fresh 9mm too...and the FEG ate it up.

I mention the squib because a friend of mine ruined a barrel on rather pricey Sig a month or so back.

He had never experienced one before..and it ruined his day...and pistol.

So just remember...if it don't sound right..don't eject/feed/jams....you don't see a bullet strike...check the bore!!!

My pistol barrel ruining pal was an experienced shooter..and claimed to have never had a squib round in decades of shooting. I've had several during my years of shooting...all factory ammo.