PDA

View Full Version : The ups and downs of a new Lee Classic Cast Turret Press for $50

SlimTim
01-16-2012, 10:45 PM
I live near Natchez Shooting Supplies, the mail order side of a shooting supply jobber called Chattanooga Shooters Supply. While they won't sell to me as I live in their 3 state dealer sales area, a fellow who works there brings many of their returns to the local gun shows and sells them at bargain prices.

It was at such a fun show last summer that I spotted a Classic Turret press, the cast version, for $50, on his table. I had figured on getting one sooner or later, so at 50 clams, I made it "sooner." That was the upside.

Fast forward to today, I got it out to set up. Now comes the downside. The lever is there, but no means to attach it to the link or whatever it's called.

I'm a mechanical idiot. :killingpc I looked for a schematic online to no avail. I did find a parts listing, but I don't know what parts I need.

Factory Sales has a parts listing with pictures I discovered. Every picture of the classic turret press on Lee's website has it turned away from the side the lever is mounted on, so pictures aren't much help.

A few questions:

For any of you who purchased the press new, did it come with any instruction sheet?

Is anyone aware of an online schematic drawing of the classic cast turret press?

Anyone know which parts I need?

From looking at the list at Factory Sales, it appears I might need a lever sleeve and a lever clamp, but who knows? There are 2 different parts labeled lever clamp, one for $2 and one for $3.

http://www.fsreloading.com/html/xcart/catalog/parts.php?product=90064

I appreciate any assistance offered from owners of this press.

SlimTim

azjohn
01-16-2012, 11:19 PM
Don't own one hope to one day. Steve's Pages is a great site
http://stevespages.com/leeom.html

hk33ka1
01-16-2012, 11:29 PM
http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/90064.pdf

Same link on Lee's site.

Should be 4 parts between the press linkage and the Lever/handle.

You need the Lever sleeve with the notch in it (BP2780), lever clamp (BP2777), the other sleeve/Spacer (BP1427) that goes in the centre of the press linkage without the notch and the Bolt (not sure of part #). This will clamp your handle/lever to the press linkage.

jimkim
01-17-2012, 02:22 AM
You should be able to see how the parts fit together, and which ones you need by looking at the pictures from this article. http://www.realguns.com/archives/122.htm

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
01-17-2012, 04:04 PM
Post a picture of what you have and we can help you figure out what you need. I owned one and when I first got it, pulled it completely apart and played with it, looking over the design. I'm pretty sure I can pick out what parts you need once you post a pic of what you have.

zuke
01-17-2012, 05:01 PM
Call LEE and tell them you bought a press as is and didn't realize there were part's missing.
The worst they can do is ask you to pay for them.

geargnasher
01-17-2012, 06:29 PM
I was going to take a pic of mine, but Jimkim's link shows it pretty well.

Gear

SlimTim
01-17-2012, 07:03 PM
Thanks for all the help, and yes, stevespages.com are awesome. Thanks for all the links.

The missing instruction sheet, as linked above, has a picture of the press with all the parts identified. I called Lee today and ordered the 3 parts mentioned by hk33ka1 as well as the bolt which the PDF file shows as FT3128. In hindsight, I think the spacer is already there, so I'll have an extra if needed. The total damage including shipping is $15.75, so I'm still in the press pretty cheap, unless this comment included in the Real Guns article linked above is to be believed:

The Lee Classic Turret Press sells for $79 at major online retailers.

Everywhere I see it, it's a c-note and $20-$40 besides.

Hopefully the problem is solved, thanks for all the help.

SlimTim

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
01-17-2012, 09:00 PM
The article on Real Guns has been posted for a while, so it's pricing information is out of date. You are still doing good, even with the missing parts ordered.

Congrats,

Dave

hk33ka1
01-17-2012, 10:53 PM
Classic Turret can be had for $84.48 from Factory Sales, so I think you still did real good on your deal.

satchmodog
01-22-2012, 12:38 PM
Call LEE and tell them you bought a press as is and didn't realize there were part's missing.
The worst they can do is ask you to pay for them.

They won't. If you tell them you just bought the press it will fall under their 2 year warranty.

Sometimes they don't even ask. It just depends on whether or not the guy in back or the lady answering the phone is in a great mood or not.

SlimTim
01-22-2012, 05:26 PM
They won't. If you tell them you just bought the press it will fall under their 2 year warranty.

Sometimes they don't even ask. It just depends on whether or not the guy in back or the lady answering the phone is in a great mood or not.

See above, I had to pay.

SlimTim