PDA

View Full Version : help

Dano67
01-16-2012, 08:54 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_47074f14c0e883ff1.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=3478)

Hi Guys,
I sure hope this picture come thru. What I have (numbered 1-5) is a federal hull, 209m primer, blue dot powder, a pacific wad cup and some shot.

The question is; Can I run these thru a Mec jr and live to tell the story. Do I have the right primer, powder, wad cup? Does one of these not go with the other?

The sad part is I have the lyman shot shell manual however I am having a hard time comprehending it.

Thanks for looking,

dano

As I sit here in the woods rubbing two sticks together, I wonder what is this thing called "Bic"?

Frosty Boolit
01-16-2012, 09:03 PM
In your manual, first find the section for that hull, and then find out if they list any loads with that wad in that hull. Then see what shot weights are recommmended for blue dot. My expierience has been that blue dot is for heavy shot loads. This means 1-1/4 and up in a 12 gauge.

para45lda
01-16-2012, 09:07 PM
I'm 100% positive you can run those components through your MEC without ill effects.

I cannot say the same for your shotgun.

I know that doesn't help a lot but it does answer your question. It's going to depend on too many factors (bar size, bushing number, charge weight (both shot and powder)). Not trying to be a butt hole (although SWMBO advises I am very good at it) but we'll need more details.

Wes

Reload3006
01-16-2012, 09:33 PM
OK we are missing a lot of information that would be needed to help you. Congrats on the MEC I have them I love them. There are others out there but I prefer the MEC.
Now more specific to your question. The components you use depends on the Weight of shot you want to use. The Hull you have the wad you need and the primer you use.
So for us to help you we need to know some more
The wad you show looks like a ww12r good wad for heavier loads in AA hulls but can be useful in hulls that have a high base wad in lighter shot loads.
THe powder you are showing is a great magnum powder but not much use for it in lighter loads.
CCI 209s are pretty good primers and while they do have some bearing on your load they arent the only ones you can or should use. but they will probably be ok.

Dano67
01-16-2012, 10:14 PM
Looking in my manual I believe this is a 2 3/4 -12 ga federal plastic hunting case.
The manual suggests all kinds of powder but no blue dot. From reading another post from xfoxofshogo I think I need a different powder.
The wad was really confusing me as I could not figure out what it was. There are so many listed in the lead shot reloading section and none seemed to match. In my book it looks like a Hornady 12 ga., however I did not see anything about pacific 12 ga. It appears that the w12r's are for the heavier loads.
The primers all suggest 209a or 209.
I ran one thru the loader (with a spent primer) and it loaded well. Now I realize this means nothing.
What I'm looking to do is use the shells for trap and skeet shooting with a similiar load as you would get from a factory target load?
I't appears that I have the wrong components for that.

Thanks again I knew you guys would get me on the right path,

Dano

Reload3006
01-16-2012, 10:24 PM
a good inexpensive trap and skeet load on your MEC loader
if you have a single stage loader you will be using the 302 series bars
if you have a progressive loader you will be using the 502 series bars
you need a 118 bar
a #32 bushing 19.5ish grains
red dot powder
WW AA or Remington sts hulls
a bag of Clay buster or winchester wwaa12
I use winchester 209s but your ccis will be ok.

Dano67
01-17-2012, 06:03 PM
Thanks Reload. It appears that I have a mix and match set of stuff at the house and it feels like I have been playing a big game of "one of these things is not like the other". I have a bunch of shot that was given to me along with the reloader and I am trying to put it to use. I may have to go to the local gun shop with my manual and have the guy set me up with the proper combination so I do not blow myself up.

Thanks again

scrapcan
01-17-2012, 07:05 PM
Dano67

You might list what you have on hand and let this place see if we can help you out. What shot size do you have? What charge bushing and shot bar do you have?

Finding data for the federal plastic hunting hull can be an issue. If these are the hulls from the bulk 100 count boxes, I had to get data from Federal as it was not in the older edition lyman shotgun manual. I do not have the latest edition so can't help there.

my go to trap load is 18.5 to 19.5 grains redot, a claybuster 12S3 wad ( federal 12S3 clone), 1 1/8 oz of 7, 71/2 or 8 shot, a win 209 ( just because I can get win 209 primers easily) and a suitable Federal Hull ( I like gold medal hulls but have used a ton of bulk hunting hulls as no one ever wanted them where the gold medals guys would steal them out of your hull bag.

Send federal an email regarding load data for their hulls, they will respond to you.

scrapcan
01-17-2012, 07:15 PM
Dano67

You might list what you have on hand and let this place see if we can help you out. What shot size do you have? What charge bushing and shot bar do you have?

Finding data for the federal plastic hunting hull can be an issue. If these are the hulls from the bulk 100 count boxes, I had to get data from Federal as it was not in the older edition lyman shotgun manual. I do not have the latest edition so can't help there.

my go to trap load is 18.5 to 19.5 grains redot, a claybuster 12S3 wad ( federal 12S3 clone), 1 1/8 oz of 7, 71/2 or 8 shot, a win 209 ( just because I can get win 209 primers easily) and a suitable Federal Hull ( I like gold medal hulls but have used a ton of bulk hunting hulls as no one ever wanted them where the gold medals guys would steal them out of your hull bag.

Send federal an email regarding load data for their hulls, they will respond to you.

Dano67
01-18-2012, 08:21 PM
Manleyjet,
This is what I have;
500 - 209m primers
100 - 209a primers
1 - universal charge bar
2 - 302 charge bars 114 (1 1/4oz) 118 (1 1/8oz) right?
1 -12ga.0 charge bar
1 - 12ga .15 charge bar
bushings - 28,30,33,34
25lbs each 6, 7 1/2, 8 shot
pacific 12ga wad color red
200 ranger plus 12 ga mag steel shot wads
2 bags of sperical shotshell buffer w/mm (white powder substance)
1 bag bpgs 12ga ballistic product gas seals
lots of federal hulls plastic hunting/some remington/some winchester
there is also some stuff I cannot recognize. I will have to take a picture.

Harmon_Greer
01-19-2012, 01:03 AM
those red wads are for 1 1/8 oz target loads, i would save the blue dot and load them with TiteWad or Clays. I really like WST for shotgun and mild pistol cartridges. its great in the 12 gauge and 45 auto.

Bullwolf
01-19-2012, 09:01 PM
I would have to agree with what the other folks are saying here.

Blue Dot is more of a heavy shotgun shell powder choice than one intended for light trap or skeet loads. I have had weird results when downloading Blue Dot, and I would not suggest trying it.

I only use Blue Dot for my heavier 00 buckshot loads, and my cast Lyman slug loads.

I also use a MEC press for shotgun reloading.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_187904f18ae02bdee1.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=3505)
I do not use the powder/shot bushing bar for my buckshot or slug loads. I instead measure my buck shot, or place a slug on top of the wad, along with the specified charge of Blue dot , measured with a Lee Scoop, and verified with my balance beam powder scale.

For my trap loads I use the shot and powder bar for metering my bird shot, and my charges of Red Dot or Unique.

My favorite light trap load uses 17-18 grains of Red Dot, or a very similar charge of Unique, using a different bushing than the Red Dot one. Unfortunately it also uses different components that what you have on hand, so you can't really substitute my data.

Mix and Match shotgun reloading data at your own peril!

Here is the light load that I like to use for breaking clays.

1 Winchester 2 3/4 length folded crimp AA Hull.
1 Winchester 209 Primer, or a CCI 209 primer.
1 Winchester WAA12, or WAA12 Clay buster wad. (a generic WAA12 wad)
1 ounce and 1/8 of #9 shot.
17.5 grains of Red Dot.
(Bushing #31 or #32 dispenses roughly 17.1 or 17.7 grains of Red Dot)

Book data shows 1135 FPS with a Win 209 primer, and 9,700 pressure (L.U.P.)
Book data shows 1130 FPS with a CCI 209 primer, and 8,500 pressure (L.U.P.)

Notice how something as simple as a primer substitution will increase pressure.

My Source for this load is the Lyman Shotshell Handbook, Third Edition.

In the back of most Lyman shotgun manuals there is usually a MEC powder bushing chart. It is a table that shows roughly what bushing size you need to use along with a brand of powder to get close to the correct charge weights that you are looking for. It will give you a pretty good idea of what number bushing to use, but I don't trust it as gospel. I always weigh out my charges to double check them after a bushing change. It helps keeps a bit of operator error out of things (in case I accidentally select the wrong bushing). If you are a bit unsure starting out, double checking the weight of your load of shot, and your powder charge is a good idea.

It sounds as if you have most of what you need to get started, but you need to find out the correct data for your weight of shot, and brand of wad, and hull.

Examples: 1oz, 1 1/8, 1 1/4, or less of shot. The size of your shot selection is not as important as the weight of your charge of shot.

The right powder bushing for your selected powder choice as well.

More Examples:
Amount of powder you can generally expect from bushing #
#28 bushing dispenses 15.4 grains of Red Dot - or 26.7 grains of Blue Dot
#30 Bushing dispenses 16.5 grains of Red Dot - or 28.7 grains of Blue Dot
#33 bushing dispenses 18.4 grains of Red Dot - or 31.0 grains of Blue Dot
#34 bushing dispenses 19.0 grains of Red Dot - or 33.0 grains of Blue Dot

15.4 grains of Red Dot is a very mild (somewhat dirty even) light load, but 33 grains of Blue Dot is a very heavy load, and likely unsuitable for bird shot.

The size and type of hull - in this case Federal or whatever you decide to use.

You wad choice - type/brand.

Avoid using the shot buffering material with your load data, unless it is specified. It can significantly raise pressures.

Most of my data uses the very common Winchester WAA12 wads, or the older Pacific Versalite wads. You will most likely need to find data that is using your hull, wad, and final powder choice.

I would be quite wary of mixing and matching shotgun recipe data and components.

- Bullwolf

Dano67
01-19-2012, 11:15 PM
I think I am definitely going to have to find a different use for the blue dot. One of the guys I Shoot with reloads, I'm going to get together with him and have him walk me thru it. There is just to much mixed and match things in the stuff I have for me to feel comfortable. I have crashed and burned too many times to think that I can do this on my own.

Thanks again guys

dano