PDA

View Full Version : No luck from THE ANTIMONY MAN

benelliman
01-16-2012, 08:14 PM
I ordered a skimmer from THE ANTIMONY MAN three weeks ago and have had no response and my CC has not been charged. I liked the larger size and stout construction of the skimmer on his website. I am smelting in a 16 quart Dutch Oven and would like a larger skimmer. Does anyone know of a source for a LARGE and STURDY skimmer?? Many Thanks!! Benelliman

cbrick
01-16-2012, 08:20 PM
You might try Roto Metals, just click on the link at the top of this page. They are sponsors of this site and carry all the ladles etc, a skimmer I dunno, you'll have to look see.

Rick

MajorJim
01-16-2012, 08:56 PM
You might try Roto Metals, just click on the link at the top of this page. They are sponsors of this site and carry all the ladles etc, a skimmer I dunno, you'll have to look see.

Rick

They have a 4" model -
http://www.rotometals.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=skimmer

RayinNH is also a sponsor and offers two sizes: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=86784

oldandslow
01-16-2012, 10:19 PM
bm, 1/17/12

I also tried to order from the Antimony man in November but couldn't get any response to my emails. I eventually ordered from Buffalo Arms and got great prices and service. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow

Wots
01-16-2012, 10:30 PM
Try

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=86784

Sagebrush7
01-16-2012, 10:54 PM
I ordered a skimmer from THE ANTIMONY MAN three weeks ago and have had no response and my CC has not been charged. I liked the larger size and stout construction of the skimmer on his website. I am smelting in a 16 quart Dutch Oven and would like a larger skimmer. Does anyone know of a source for a LARGE and STURDY skimmer?? Many Thanks!! Benelliman

I got one of Momas spoons with the holes in it. Cheap it was! But I only melt 100 lbs at a time!

Johnk454
01-16-2012, 11:03 PM
Hope nothing is wrong with Bill Ferguson (The Antimony Man)?

Anyone know?

gandydancer
01-16-2012, 11:04 PM
wots is right try RAYINNH that.s his website wots has up there for you.

waksupi
01-17-2012, 01:32 AM

Anyone know?

I also wonder if he is Okay? He is one of the most honest guys you can deal with. If there is a delay, there is a darn good reason.

Moonman
01-17-2012, 09:30 AM
Benelliman,

PM RayinNH,

He has has skimmers, 3.875 Bowl, 13" handle, PM him he makes casting tools. I'm sure he can make you what you need if that's not sufficient.

JIMinPHX
01-17-2012, 09:46 AM

Anyone know?

That was my first thought too. He's not a youngster anymore.

MGySgt
01-19-2012, 05:13 PM
That was my first thought too. He's not a youngster anymore.

None of us are youngsters anymore! :)

kevmc
03-28-2013, 08:52 PM
Bringing this thread back......

Any current info on if the Antimony man is still in bussiness??

waksupi
03-29-2013, 12:44 AM
Where was Bill located?

TomE
03-29-2013, 01:26 AM
I ordered from Mr. Ferguson years ago and he was great to deal with. He is in Sierra Vista, AZ. His phone number is 520-458-5321. I too hope all is well with him.

imashooter2
03-29-2013, 06:38 AM
Walmart has great skimmers:

http://home.comcast.net/~imashooter2/pictures/skimmer.jpg

metalman21
03-30-2013, 08:25 AM
Search at McMaster Carr, I remember finding some in the catalog.
Edit: I can't do a link on the Iphone but if you type "skimmers" and scroll
down they show up.

NineInchNails
03-30-2013, 12:31 PM
You should check out some local flea markets, rummage stores, junk shops, antique shops, etc...

I paid about $40 for everything shown in this pic. Found all this at a flea market.
http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag142/boolits/LEAD/DutchOvenLadles30_zps212980db.jpg

Paid $2 or $3 for each of these just yesterday.
http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag142/boolits/LEAD/LadleandSkimmer_zps93fab4aa.jpg

Found some cast iron molds too. I'm addicted to these shops.
http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag142/boolits/LEAD/ImprovisedCastIronIngotMold_zps4772d2b5.jpg

wymanwinn
03-30-2013, 01:59 PM
Search at McMaster Carr, I remember finding some in the catalog.
Edit: I can't do a link on the Iphone but if you type "skimmers" and scroll
down they show up.

like this... http://www.mcmaster.com/#3362K1

metalman21
03-31-2013, 11:35 AM
like this... http://www.mcmaster.com/#3362K1
That's the page.

Jimmy10mm
10-15-2013, 01:29 PM
Bringing this thread back......

Any current info on if the Antimony man is still in bussiness??

Following many attempts I finally got an answer to a phone call to the number listed on the website. His daughter told me that Bill has Alzheimer's disease and effectively there is no more business though the website is still up.

They, the family, have not gotten into taking care of the computers and all of that. Sounded as if she is not a computer person so I don't know if that will ever be cleared up.

cbrick
10-15-2013, 01:37 PM
That's down right sad. He was quite the gentleman to do business with & he has been missed I'm sure by many.

Rick

sleeper1428
10-17-2013, 12:24 PM
That's down right sad. He was quite the gentleman to do business with & he has been missed I'm sure by many.

Rick

Agree completely. Not only was he very knowledgeable in regard to metallurgy, he was happy to talk to you about anything related to that field. I had several long and very informative telephone conversations with him back in the late 1990's and he most certainly will be sorely missed. I wonder if, with some encouragement, his family might consider carrying on his business?

sleeper1428

bangerjim
10-17-2013, 02:34 PM
Agree completely. Not only was he very knowledgeable in regard to metallurgy, he was happy to talk to you about anything related to that field. I had several long and very informative telephone conversations with him back in the late 1990's and he most certainly will be sorely missed. I wonder if, with some encouragement, his family might consider carrying on his business?

sleeper1428

He has/had a large volume of knowledge from his years & years of experience. I doubt his family even knows anything about metallurgy or what he did......other than make money doing what he liked.

I know my kid sure do not know (or care) anything about process instrumentation/machinist/horology/woodworking/mechanical technology that I deal in! When I leave this mortal coil, all that knowledge will be lost forever. I wish I could clone my brain & store it for future generations. I am sure many of you out there are the same way.

banger

alamogunr
10-17-2013, 02:43 PM
Bill has published several articles on the "net". I tried to print most of them but I'm not sure that I got all of them. I also printed some of the email correspondence we had 10+ years ago when I first ordered from him. At that time I tried talking to him on the phone but it seemed to be a chore for him and I know it was for me.

He must be nearing 90 years old by now. I always got a kick out of his posts on the CB-L. He had a way with words.

mold maker
10-17-2013, 04:50 PM
It's extremely sad to see all the hard won knowledge lost. Old age and disease seem to claim more than is saved.
I too had several very enlightening discussions with Bill, and treasure the insight he gave me.

slim1836
10-17-2013, 05:30 PM
I too had correspondence with him in the past and he sent me literature and advice to help me get started. He will be missed by many.

Slim

PbHurler
10-18-2013, 07:10 AM
This is sad to hear, Bill will indeed be missed. Years ago, I called Bill to order some tin (@$7.00/Lb) & LET's Flux. Bill asked me what I was alloying & we had about a 40 minute conversation with him explaining to me how to acheive what I was wanting to produce without mixing such an "expensive alloy". He included a neat pamphlet with my order with various alloy mixtures & optimal loading scenarios with hand written notes within the borders.

One hell of a nice, & knowledgable man.

rattletrap1970
10-18-2013, 07:27 AM
That is a damn shame for sure. I'm glad we have the internet now to pool all this knowlege before it's lost.

GLL
10-21-2013, 08:54 PM
Bill was a great guy to talk to. A simple question could end up with a one hour conversation ! ! :)
Sad indeed !

Jerry

M-Tecs
10-21-2013, 09:29 PM
I only talked to him once. I called with a simple question and it was over an hour conversation. I wish him and his family the best!!! Alzheimer's is a terrible disease to deal with.

bhn22
10-21-2013, 09:43 PM
I really appreciated Bill too. Everything said so far has matched my observations. He's quite a guy. I hope he finds peace.

13Echo
10-22-2013, 02:24 PM
That is sad. Alzheimer's is one of the cruelest diseases. It robs the victim of his mind but leaves the body intact and puts unbelievable stress on the family. It's like a 36 hour day of constant care and stress with no escape. There are some things worse than dying.

I hope his family is holding up and I hope for the best for Bill. He was a real prince.

Jerry Liles

Littleton Shot Maker
02-03-2014, 06:28 AM
Bill was great, talked with him a few times, he always was good humored, quick wit, loved the people he would meet in the coarse if doing business, I had wondered what happened he stopped answering the phone, And no his kids (not kids really) are not into the lead, antimony business or have the knowledge Bill had.

WilliamDahl
02-03-2014, 06:47 AM
That is a damn shame for sure. I'm glad we have the internet now to pool all this knowlege before it's lost.

But on private sites like this, the knowledge will still get lost eventually since it's not like the owners of the site will keep it around *forever*. There's still stuff in the USENET archives from the early days of USENET, but with private forums like this, we are subject to the whims of the site owner.

dikman
02-04-2014, 05:45 AM
NineInchNails, those two ladles look like they're handforged - very nice find!

DrDucati
11-28-2015, 11:14 PM
Regarding the loss of knowledge, the best way to keep it alive may just be the good old printed book. For those of you who are experts in the field or enjoy editing, consider publishing something.

jmort
11-29-2015, 12:06 AM
Antimony is not worth the trouble. Very high melting point and toxic. Too many lead/antimony alloys available to make it worthwhile.