PDA

View Full Version : Finally after 2 years.

Boz330
01-16-2012, 06:35 PM
A number of years ago I bought an 8MM Swedish roller with the idea of re barreling it for a hunting rifle in 40-65, a barrel I already had. Two years ago I got a stock from Treebone and fitted the butt plate and then dinked around with it off and on for the last couple years. Finally this weekend I bead blasted it and blued it. Tonight I rubbed out the stock with rottenstone for a matte finish and assembled it.
I have a lighter trigger spring on the way and I'm going to put a Marble's tang hunting sight on it and maybe an ivory bead front.

Bob

cdet69
01-16-2012, 07:09 PM
Wow that is some awesome looking wood. Why did you wait so long? I would be chomping at the bit to get rifle that gorgeouse ready.

Don McDowell
01-16-2012, 07:46 PM
Looks great Bob!

SharpsShooter
01-16-2012, 08:02 PM
Very nice Bob! Beautiful wood.

SS

Montana Ron
01-16-2012, 09:18 PM
Bob...........that's a really great job on your roller!!!!!!!!!! Your welcome to bring it out
and hammer P-dogs with me and my Sharps 40-65.............I got a tentative buffalo hunt with the state as me seniority number is 28 on the drawing but I'm sitting next to a pile of 400 gr. Lyman 410655 bullets for my hunt.........You can really do a lot with a 40-65 from P-dogs with 210 gr pistol bullets to Looooong 400 gr bullets that will blow through about anything running on this hemisphere .................

Boz330
01-17-2012, 08:58 AM
Bob...........that's a really great job on your roller!!!!!!!!!! Your welcome to bring it out
and hammer P-dogs with me and my Sharps 40-65.............I got a tentative buffalo hunt with the state as me seniority number is 28 on the drawing but I'm sitting next to a pile of 400 gr. Lyman 410655 bullets for my hunt.........You can really do a lot with a 40-65 from P-dogs with 210 gr pistol bullets to Looooong 400 gr bullets that will blow through about anything running on this hemisphere .................

Ron I'm not sure I could see a prairie dog to hit him, in my youth maybe. Please post pics of your buffalo hunt when you take it. I would love to draw an elk tag here in KY to try this out on. But it is probably going to be primarily a deer rifle. The barrel that is on it has accounted for several already.

The wood on this rifle was 1 upgrade from standard from Treebone. I was really impressed and the guy took care of me really well I thought.:bigsmyl2: It is curly maple.

Bob

BPCR Bill
01-17-2012, 09:40 AM
George at Treebone is a great guy! He's done stock work for me in the past. Nice job on that Roller! It looks sweet!

218bee
01-17-2012, 10:31 AM
beautiful work...congrats....should be a fun cartridge

Chicken Thief
01-17-2012, 07:20 PM
I have lightend trigger pull by way more than half by:
Thinning the trigger spring to a triangle from the back to a point at the front.
Thinning the hammer spring to 1/3'rd at the tip.
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/DSCN0015.jpg
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/DSCN0016.jpg

Use bare fingers when sanding to avoid high temps and annealing of the springs while sanding.

Boz330
01-17-2012, 07:46 PM
Thanks CT. I will try that on the hammer spring since the after market trigger springs are already on order. The trigger pull on this rifle is stout but doesn't seem all that bad since it is reasonably crisp. I'm sure others will be able to use that info as well.

Bob

Chicken Thief
01-17-2012, 07:58 PM
Glad to of service sir!

Lead pot
01-17-2012, 08:17 PM
I would be a little cautious softening he hammer spring to much on a roller. To much of a chance for it to unlock the breach and have the case come back at you.

Jon K
01-17-2012, 11:57 PM
Ditto what lead pot said on hammer spring....just do the trigger return spring...or use piano wire for the trigger return spring.

Jon

Chicken Thief
01-18-2012, 08:18 AM
And have you never noted that when the hammer has moved no more than some 100's of an inch it is under the block and locking it into place?
That is the basic idea and genious of a RB.

1) Hammer at full cock, block can move freely
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Skydning/Til%20andre/R0010733.jpg

2) hammer at full cock and block in closed position. Note the small gap the hammer has to bridge before it will hold the block in a closed position!
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Skydning/Til%20andre/R0010734.jpg

3) Hammer travelling forward and effectivly locking the block in a closed position
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Skydning/Til%20andre/R0010735.jpg

Please Mr. Lead pot explain why lightening the hammer spring would interfere with the hammer locking the block in place way before the hammer has a chance to hit the firing pin and set of the primer of?

Don McDowell
01-18-2012, 01:11 PM
Simple , if the hammer spring gets to weak there's a chance that the hammer will rebound from the breechblock and under recoil actually come back far enough to let the breech open up.
It happened to at least one Pedersoli roller just a couple years ago during a bpcr shoot, and in the Sharps catalogs was one of the selling points and was given testimony of the very same happening by satisfied Sharps customers, who proudly proclaimed their rifles " Never shot backwards".

Chicken Thief
01-18-2012, 02:09 PM
I only do originals i dont do copies.
And i have tried to thin the spring more but no bang.
So i really dont see how the spring back could occur, please enlighten me with some facts or link to the actual story.
I dont give much for hersay and urban legends!

I bet the Pedersoli hammer spring snapped for it to happen at all.
But maybe hearsay is way better than actual facts in a good story.

Don McDowell
01-18-2012, 04:23 PM
No the pederosli spring did not snap.
And you'ld have to go get your own copies of the Sharps catalogs from the 1870's. The 1877 in particular has letters from 2 individuals at 2 different locations that barely escaped injury when a Remington "shot backwards".

Lead pot
01-18-2012, 05:28 PM
How about the firing pin coming back especially if a primer is deep in the cup and gets slammed back against the pin driving the hammer back that has a week spring?
Excess head space and a hard primer like the Wolf primer driving back against the pin?

451 Pete
01-19-2012, 08:01 AM
Boz that is a great looking rifle. Hope to see you at the line in Friendship in the spring.

( side note : Don't know if you heard but our range officer George passed on Tue morning. George was 86)

Pete

bigted
01-19-2012, 08:53 AM
ill say this....its always interesting here!

also im sorry to hear about another old timer passing. my deepest felt sorrow for the family and friends. god bless

Boz330
01-19-2012, 10:09 AM
Boz that is a great looking rifle. Hope to see you at the line in Friendship in the spring.

( side note : Don't know if you heard but our range officer George passed on Tue morning. George was 86)

Pete

Pete, this is George the Marine that served in the South Pacific? The old man was Army but his Battalion was attached to the Marines at Guadalcanal and Iwo.
I got a kick out of the bumper sticker on his pickup. "The Marines are a department of the Navy,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the men's department".

God rest his soul. You might put up a notice in the Remembrance section.

Bob

Chicken Thief
01-21-2012, 07:17 PM
No the pederosli spring did not snap.
And you'ld have to go get your own copies of the Sharps catalogs from the 1870's. The 1877 in particular has letters from 2 individuals at 2 different locations that barely escaped injury when a Remington "shot backwards".

All evidense i can find online is this:

http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?topic=1853.0;imode

And i quote:

Lee Shaver (Pedersoli warranty gunsmithing shop) examined the guns and found three factors were causing this to happen.

1. Excess oil was in the chamber and breech block surfaces which caused the fired case to lose it's normal grip in the chamber ,resulting in increased rearward force against the face of the breech block. Both guns had been stored and well oiled. One blew back on the first shot and the second gun blew back on the second shot. Both were well used guns which had fired many thousands of rounds previously without any problems.
The Pedersoli breech block uses a few more degree angle on the breech block contact face as compared to original Remingtons. While this is not a problem, when this factor number one is combined with two other factors it makes it "possible" for the breech to be blown open.

2. Both guns showed highly polished locking surfaces which came from them being used quite a bit. Lee could not say any extra polishing had been done but the original "machined surfaces" were polished to a smooth finish, which reduced the natural friction between steel surfaces. Adding excess oil to such surfaces further reduced the self locking friction affect.

3. Both guns showed their mainspring had been lightened by someone, in a probable effort to improve and lighten trigger pull. Lee mentions that he NEVER lightens the main spring pressure because of this exact danger. He obtains light trigger pressure by working with angles of the sear and notch, not by making the main spring lighter.
These guns with a light mainspring had lost considerable lock-up friction because of the lowered metal to metal pressure.

So no one has seen an original RB rifle do an "Blow-Open" from 1867 till now, and still you make a warning, why?

Don McDowell
01-21-2012, 07:49 PM
Read the letters to the Sharps company about the Remington rifles "shooting backwards".

Also pay particular attention to your own post. Line no 3 says
Both guns showed their mainspring had been lightened by someone, in a probable effort to improve and lighten trigger pull. Lee mentions that he NEVER lightens the main spring pressure because of this exact danger. He obtains light trigger pressure by working with angles of the sear and notch, not by making the main spring lighter.
These guns with a light mainspring had lost considerable lock-up friction because of the lowered metal to metal pressure.
Now do you understand?

TXGunNut
01-22-2012, 12:38 AM
Nicely done, Boz. Well worth the wait. Can only imagine the pride and satisfaction you feel when handling this piece of art. Enjoy.

Boz330
01-23-2012, 01:19 PM
Thanks, I figure any deer would be proud to be shot with that rifle.
Shot it yesterday, just had to hear it go bang. Didn't have time or equipment to do any group testing but the rough guess on the sights was close enough that it was on a 12 inch gong at 100yd. Unfortunately there were a lot of hits on it anyway:groner: so couldn't tell where my hits were other than it was clanging and swinging.

Bob

Don McDowell
01-23-2012, 03:15 PM
Gong clangs always make a feller feel good.

EDG
01-23-2012, 05:40 PM
A friend of mine had an original RRB pierce the primer. The leaking gas blew the hammer back to full cock position and the breech block flopped open. However the case remained in the chamber. This rifle was a 7X57 in original condition.

kweidner
01-23-2012, 09:19 PM
wow at the wood. nice stuff.